Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #57
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...I'm not sure about the tangents, but it's all good...don't fret....

This thread has been derailed enough so I'll leave it at that.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Love the new Z/28. I can live without AC but i would have to have a decent stereo. The extra weight of it would be worth it to me personally.
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #59
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That completely defeats the purpose of using the LS7.

Really? No one would want a Supercharged 427? Really? Can you imagine how fast that would be? I`m sure JusticePete has some parts to take care of the extra weight on the front, and OMG, think of the power...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #60
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I laugh a little when I see all these "I'm used to no creature comforts" remarks. I lived back in the real muscle car days and other than the tire-ripping fun, they can keep them. Sure, I've got a couple 60's/70's muscle cars in the stable along with a couple 4th gen Camaros, but todays cars are far and away more refined, and just as much or more power, and a means to plant that power (an important aspect that many manufacturers back in the day couldn't do on factory bias ply tires).

To me all my cars are special in that with each drive, each car puts me in a different "era" just about any time I can drive them. Even got a Cadillac when I want all creature comforts while driving. I am truly blessed with choices, car-wise.

The 2014 Z/28 is a special car made for a special purpose. It isn't intended as a d/d. If I had one, I wouldn't use it as one, either. But the ZL1? That is the street's best Camaro hands down. You have to make compromises for certain creature comforts/drivability and IMO, the ZL1 limits the compromises as best it can.

Affordability isn't my issue, but the purpose is. That's why I'm going to make a bit of compromise myself and get a convertible ZL1 M6, end of story. A Z/28 would be cool to drive, I'm sure, but I'm not big into tracking so it's not my cup of tea.

But the Z/28 is bad azz!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #61
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Really? No one would want a Supercharged 427? Really? Can you imagine how fast that would be? I`m sure JusticePete has some parts to take care of the extra weight on the front, and OMG, think of the power...
Nope. Not here. Based on your avatar, I can see why you would want a supercharger. Forced induction is great for drag racing. On a road course, forced induction is a liability. Power delivery is not as smooth, extra heat is generated, and reliability is compromised. Z/28 is made for a road course, not the drag strip.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #62
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
You're in the wrong section of the forum to be asking that question.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #63
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
I think the Z28 is a fantastic car and I am super glad they made it again. If I were able to choose between the Z28 and the ZL1, I would get the ZL1. I don't need a serious track car, so the ZL1 would be what I would take.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #64
Bhobbs

Quote:

I'm sure plenty of people would want a supercharged 427 and I'm sure it would be plenty fast until it heat soaked and the power dropped off. Not to mention, that weight would be over the front end and you can't do anything about that.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #65
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Spot on.

I can help bend the rules of physics to offset the weight of F/I, but the exact same tricks work better without the extra weight.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #66
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I'm sure plenty of people would want a supercharged 427 and I'm sure it would be plenty fast until it heat soaked and the power dropped off. Not to mention, that weight would be over the front end and you can't do anything about that.
They don't recommend supercharging the LS7.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #67
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You can get the Z/28 with AC.
Yep, and if I get one it will have to have A/C so I can haul around my wife and kid on occasion. If I had money for a Zl1 and a Z/28, I would go no A/C though. The last couple of days I have wanted to drive my 3rd gen 1LE around, but the heat is already brutal. My wife will kill me if I get another car that we cant drive around in the summer. Price and availability will be a big factor, but right now I am leaning towards the Z/28. A used ZL1 that fits my needs/wants will probably be a lot easier to find down the road if I change my mind than a used Z/28 exactly how I would have built it.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #68
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
They don't recommend supercharging the LS7.
I know, but even if they said it was fine, I wouldn't do it.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #69
General Lee

Drives: 1SS
I would take the Z28 over a ZL1 all day long.
Also probably a better investment in the long run?
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #70
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Z/28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Just put a blower on your SS.
Quote:
The Z/28 is about balance, not brutal outright power. And if you have to Band-Aid the suspension to fix the power crutch that you just added, you've gone two steps away from the reason for the Z/28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...no. The ZL1 surpases the Z28 by offering comfort, stability, power and traction under all conditions beyond any measure or metric previously seen in the Camaro lineage. . . . .

The Z28 is all business no doubt, and an afterthought taken to another level beyond what the ZL1 has brought to the table...using all that was learned from the ZL1, FE4, 1LE, with new technological additons from outside the box thinking in addition to fan base suggestions to bring this next wonder car Camaro to the market. The ZL1 kills you with everything from heated seats...creature comfort to performance ride settings, dimming mirrors, backup camera, MRC, torque up the wazoooo...on and on..and the Z28 will bend your knees and require a 5 point harness and oxygen to keep the driver wiithin the seat to pilot this sucker around a road course.
All business and no distractions is exactly what a few of us actually prefer. Actively prefer, actually.

If I didn't bother to mentally track the combined trip odometer reading plus "distance to empty" (because the most common road trip I make takes me down under three gallons off empty in the Mustang), I wouldn't even need the trip odometer, never mind the other fuel usage stats available on demand. I still have one car with fully manual-adjusted seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
I laugh a little when I see all these "I'm used to no creature comforts" remarks. I lived back in the real muscle car days and other than the tire-ripping fun, they can keep them. Sure, I've got a couple 60's/70's muscle cars in the stable along with a couple 4th gen Camaros, but todays cars are far and away more refined, and just as much or more power, and a means to plant that power (an important aspect that many manufacturers back in the day couldn't do on factory bias ply tires).

To me all my cars are special in that with each drive, each car puts me in a different "era" just about any time I can drive them. Even got a Cadillac when I want all creature comforts while driving. I am truly blessed with choices, car-wise.

The 2014 Z/28 is a special car made for a special purpose. It isn't intended as a d/d. If I had one, I wouldn't use it as one, either. But the ZL1? That is the street's best Camaro hands down. You have to make compromises for certain creature comforts/drivability and IMO, the ZL1 limits the compromises as best it can.
The only creature comfort I really need is A/C, which is optionally available. Add a second channel to the stereo, some way of playing CDs, and throw in a second set of 11"/11.5" wheels with 200-ish treadwear tires in 305/30-19 and it's now a legitimate DD and trip car. A bit over the top, perhaps, but entirely do-able. More usable in that duty than the frequently spotted Lamborghini that's kept less than half a mile from my house (and this is strictly the middle-class "poor side of town").

Refinement other than as applied to handling behavior is pretty much wasted as far as I'm concerned.

If I was to build up a "Pro-Touring" car, my short list above would be very, very close to where I'd paint my bulls-eye going in.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote