Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Get the LFX or 1LE!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
Get the LFX or 1LE!
Huh?

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Let's see, 2013, 18, 2011, 16, 2009, . . . don't mind me, I'm just trying to figure out who I'm replying to and oh well, at least it's consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEOX View Post
Camaros lack in one department for me and that is handling, but there are coilovers, 19" wheels, and 295mm tires out there that will fix that problem.
If it's handling that you're after, I think you'd be better off with a 1LE that you wouldn't be making a second project out of right away. Two projects can easily end up with neither one getting done in a reasonable length of time, or at least done the way you'd really like. This does assume that you have some ability to stretch financially and wouldn't be making yourself "car-poor" by doing so . . . .

Why the 1LE over a non-1LE 1SS? The understeer factor, which is a bit more than just wider wheels and losing the staggered tire setup. And because it takes a 1LE-level or higher (or properly aftermarket-modified) Camaro to overshadow the Mustang in the handling department (where do you think I'm cribbing a few thoughts from for mine?). Though I do assume from seeing the word "autocross" that you've either heard or overheard "seat time, tires/wheels, everything else" in some form or other before.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEOX View Post
Okay, I haven't been on this forum in ages.
I suppose a reintroduction is in order. My name is Ethan, I'm 18 years old, and am an absolute car enthusiast down to the bone marrow. Currently, I'm daily driving a 1994 Mazda Miata (go ahead, laugh, I know who I can take to town at an autocross.) Camaros lack in one department for me and that is handling, but there are coilovers, 19" wheels, and 295mm tires out there that will fix that problem. Power is all there. V8's are an amazing thing, no doubt, and GM does it best. And do not worry, even though I'm still a teenager, I understand power and I understand my limitations. If I feel comfortable driving my friend's track prepared 308whp Miata at the limit, you can trust that I'll be fine (and mature, that's the big one) with the 350+whp that an LS3 offers.

I guess I want any advice that you wise souls are willing to offer, and if you think that a Camaro is the right choice. I'll probably be aiming for a 1SS (I hate sliding on leather through corners) with RS if I can find one appropriately priced.
Ethan,

Welcome back to the forums! Glad to hear about your endeavors. We happily endorse any GM product you're considering and the Camaro is a wise choice. You definitely can't go wrong with an SS. Keep us updated on the search and good luck!

All the best,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Lol grow up, My 50+ friend drives a mazda miata toy like yours as a daily driver when he does not want to burn gas with his nice new GTO. Yes you want to turn the miata into what ever yet you want to only save to buy a 26K or below car in the future. Well time will make it possible to get a camaro if thats what you really want, but you sound more like a ricer wannabe from the fast and the furious than a real hot rodder as you want to see the rear end slide around corners............LOL
Well why not get a cheap old chevy build a engine and go circle track racing in the dirt? Yes a camaro now is amongst the best build cars for safety, it is way safer than your miata is or could be, And eventually you will probably grow into love with what ever the next best thing is that comes along in your quest to whip around corners. Let me tell you why I bought my camaro, ! Looks, safety, handles like a dream compared to a old hot rod, modern convieniences all included like a luxury car, and can even shove a couple in the back, and can kick but against most cars if neccessary. To many young dumbos and road ragers out there and tail gaters and idiots of all kinds.
Around your age I was driving a jeep in germany and armored personnel carriers. Nothing like smashing down small trees at 45 mph and crossing giant mud puddles or rivers.........You should most likely just save your money and age into likes in cars that are more for your daily driving long commute and be glad you have a job in this damn economy. As job security is especially vulnerable at a young age. I find kids funny now as they build these ricers and stuff and think oh my god they are all that......For cheap and reliable yet gas costly transpo nothing can beat a good old chevy 350 the most widely produce engine ever in the history of the world, able to build it cheaper and reliable and fixable as hell and infinitely moddable. You should find a good old car for cheap and try to see how it is building it and never getting the money back out of it if go to sell it and just enjoy the power and experience. Wait and down the road you will be able to afford your dads old ss as the prices will go down from age. And if you really want to rally race, road race whatever.....you can know it will save your bacon with 5 star safety ratings in the newest toughest standards ever for cars that the NHTSB has now for crash ratings......And by the way A few cars are doing well with the new ratings but alot are doing bad.........And life is a long journey and they do not make cars like tanks when i was growing up, and they put these new fangled things called seat belts in them and people with convertibles even buy things called roll bars......................Frankly to me you sound more like a kid who needs to save up for a new BRZ turbo when they come out.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
CRH83

Drives: 2013 Toyota SR5 4Runner 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Lol grow up, My 50+ friend drives a mazda miata toy like yours as a daily driver when he does not want to burn gas with his nice new GTO. Yes you want to turn the miata into what ever yet you want to only save to buy a 26K or below car in the future. Well time will make it possible to get a camaro if thats what you really want, but you sound more like a ricer wannabe from the fast and the furious than a real hot rodder as you want to see the rear end slide around corners............LOL
Well why not get a cheap old chevy build a engine and go circle track racing in the dirt? Yes a camaro now is amongst the best build cars for safety, it is way safer than your miata is or could be, And eventually you will probably grow into love with what ever the next best thing is that comes along in your quest to whip around corners. Let me tell you why I bought my camaro, ! Looks, safety, handles like a dream compared to a old hot rod, modern convieniences all included like a luxury car, and can even shove a couple in the back, and can kick but against most cars if neccessary. To many young dumbos and road ragers out there and tail gaters and idiots of all kinds.
Around your age I was driving a jeep in germany and armored personnel carriers. Nothing like smashing down small trees at 45 mph and crossing giant mud puddles or rivers.........You should most likely just save your money and age into likes in cars that are more for your daily driving long commute and be glad you have a job in this damn economy. As job security is especially vulnerable at a young age. I find kids funny now as they build these ricers and stuff and think oh my god they are all that......For cheap and reliable yet gas costly transpo nothing can beat a good old chevy 350 the most widely produce engine ever in the history of the world, able to build it cheaper and reliable and fixable as hell and infinitely moddable. You should find a good old car for cheap and try to see how it is building it and never getting the money back out of it if go to sell it and just enjoy the power and experience. Wait and down the road you will be able to afford your dads old ss as the prices will go down from age. And if you really want to rally race, road race whatever.....you can know it will save your bacon with 5 star safety ratings in the newest toughest standards ever for cars that the NHTSB has now for crash ratings......And by the way A few cars are doing well with the new ratings but alot are doing bad.........And life is a long journey and they do not make cars like tanks when i was growing up, and they put these new fangled things called seat belts in them and people with convertibles even buy things called roll bars......................Frankly to me you sound more like a kid who needs to save up for a new BRZ turbo when they come out.
This was painful to read... beyond that you're telling me you have never met a Camaro owner who liked to slide the ass end out occasionally?
CRH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
If your budget is only $26k, I would say go with something cheaper like a GTO, Trans Am, or 4th-gen Camaro. They are just as fun as a 5th-gen Camaro, at a fraction of the price. You would have more money left over for mods and personalizing. Not to mention, if you are into sleepers, a GTO definitely has that 'family car' look to it and catches a lot of people off-guard. I love my 5th-gen, but I have a friend who owns a 2004 GTO with LT headers and an exhaust, and that thing is amazing!

Also, I know you said you want RWD, but if you're open to AWD as well I'd look into a WRX or a used STi. While not quite having as much power as the cars listed above, they are right around your price range and are still a blast to drive. Whatever you decide to get, I'd definitely make sure you cover all your bases before you pull the trigger. Even look into Mustangs simply for comparison purposes. There's nothing worse than buying something and realizing there was something better out there that more suits your desires/needs! Good luck on your decision!
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
I just have to reply to this because I've gotten a kick out of it. People like you are the reason that I started straying from this forum. By no means at all am I some "ricer." I drive a bone stock (minus an extremely quiet and deep noted exhaust, no fart can) Miata. I'm sorry that I drive an import that I am ABSOLUTELY in love with. I'll die with that car, I don't care what people say. There is a relationship there, just like I hope you have a relationship with your Camaro. When it comes to "being cool" with my ricer, I make fun of the car all the time to people and I by no means think I'm cool. Everyone drives trucks here, I'm the lonely one. No one cares about my car and I like that. I don't want attention. This is why I don't speed, and have no tickets or accidents.
Kicking the tail out. Obviously part of that is being a teenager, but part of that is also being a car guy. It's fun, don't knock it until you turn the TC off and actually try it, in a safe area that is. I am more of a fan of grip than balls to the wall sliding.
I want to get the Miata off of daily duty status, that way I can put my focus where I want to with the car, and that is seat time, suspension, and R-compounds. It would be nice to have a car that I can take on a roadtrip with two people comfortably. It would be nice to have low miles and peace of mind, because lets face it, a 19 year old/150k miles Miata is going to have some issues. I've been through every cooling issue known to man by now. And one of the most important things is being able to build some credit. I have to start somewhere, and a car seems like a reasonable answer.
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
PHEOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
If your budget is only $26k, I would say go with something cheaper like a GTO, Trans Am, or 4th-gen Camaro. They are just as fun as a 5th-gen Camaro, at a fraction of the price. You would have more money left over for mods and personalizing. Not to mention, if you are into sleepers, a GTO definitely has that 'family car' look to it and catches a lot of people off-guard. I love my 5th-gen, but I have a friend who owns a 2004 GTO with LT headers and an exhaust, and that thing is amazing!

Also, I know you said you want RWD, but if you're open to AWD as well I'd look into a WRX or a used STi. While not quite having as much power as the cars listed above, they are right around your price range and are still a blast to drive. Whatever you decide to get, I'd definitely make sure you cover all your bases before you pull the trigger. Even look into Mustangs simply for comparison purposes. There's nothing worse than buying something and realizing there was something better out there that more suits your desires/needs! Good luck on your decision!
I am looking at everything, that is for sure. I've gotten over hating other cars simply because one company makes it.
AWD has been on my mind. My issue with Subie's is the boxer motor. My stepbrother has one and I can't figure that motor out. It just looks so complex to even do basic maintenance on, let alone the task of upgrading to a larger turbo (which I would do).
There are a couple of FWD's I'm somewhat fond of also. Focus ST and the Jetta GLI. The Jetta is such a nice place to be, and the power is adequate enough.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
Quote:
Yes you want to turn the miata into what ever yet you want to only save to buy a 26K or below car in the future.

Yes, judge his financial decisions while still being a rude fart.

Quote:
Well time will make it possible to get a camaro if thats what you really want, but you sound more like a ricer wannabe from the fast and the furious than a real hot rodder as you want to see the rear end slide around corners............LOL

He sounds like a ricer wannabe? Jeez, any so any enthusiast who happens to cross paths with an import is now a ricer wannabe..

Quote:
Well why not get a cheap old chevy build a engine and go circle track racing in the dirt? Yes a camaro now is amongst the best build cars for safety, it is way safer than your miata is or could be, And eventually you will probably grow into love with what ever the next best thing is that comes along in your quest to whip around corners. Let me tell you why I bought my camaro, ! Looks, safety, handles like a dream compared to a old hot rod, modern convieniences all included like a luxury car, and can even shove a couple in the back, and can kick but against most cars if neccessary..

There we go.. something actually useful input that will work in a forum trying to foster positive sharing of information. You could’ve shortened the post to just this part

Quote:
To many young dumbos and road ragers out there and tail gaters and idiots of all kinds.

Whoops… there we go again. Lets hate the OP for being young. OP, you sound like u got a good head on your shoulders.

Quote:
Around your age I was driving a jeep in germany and armored personnel carriers. Nothing like smashing down small trees at 45 mph and crossing giant mud puddles or rivers.........You should most likely just save your money and age into likes in cars that are more for your daily driving long commute and be glad you have a job in this damn economy.

Yes lets make this about you. OP, you’re old enough to make your own decisions.. I disagree wholeheartedly with this part. You’re an enthusiast and it shows that you like to have fun and enjoy as much as you can. This advice is flat out boooring.. Keep your head on your shoulders but live as well.

Quote:
I find kids funny now as they build these ricers and stuff and think oh my god they are all that......

Sour from a race maybe?why u so mad

Quote:
For cheap and reliable yet gas costly transpo nothing can beat a good old chevy 350 the most widely produce engine ever in the history of the world, able to build it cheaper and reliable and fixable as hell and infinitely moddable. You should find a good old car for cheap and try to see how it is building it and never getting the money back out of it if go to sell it and just enjoy the power and experience. Wait and down the road you will be able to afford your dads old ss as the prices will go down from age. And if you really want to rally race, road race whatever.....you can know it will save your bacon with 5 star safety ratings in the newest toughest standards ever for cars that the NHTSB has now for crash ratings......And by the way A few cars are doing well with the new ratings but alot are doing bad.........And life is a long journey and they do not make cars like tanks when i was growing up, and they put these new fangled things called seat belts in them and people with convertibles even buy things called roll bars......................

Yes! This is the good stuff

Quote:
Frankly to me you sound more like a kid who needs to save up for a new BRZ turbo when they come out.

You just had to... one last time.. Not sure what your problem is.. but you call ricer and then tell him to buy a BRZ

Quote:
Lol grow up, My 50+ friend drives a mazda miata toy like yours as a daily driver when he does not want to burn gas with his nice new GTO.

Take your own advice and grow up.

There’s no need to be rude to people simply asking for input. You know what’s annoying? Old people always trying to lecture when one is not needed. And what’s funny is that the 18 year old is much more mature and knows how to properly conduct himself properly.

Ok. Now that that's out of the way.. With that budget I can only point to the used SS as I really haven't driven anything else within your parameters.. If you decide to go new, I hear a LOT of good things about the BRZ/FRS and I think its a great looking car.. you've got a bunch of choices with your budget and I say go out and test drive anything you can at those dealerships.. I enjoyed that part a lot.. I pretty much knew what id wind up with, but it was fun to check out other cars and even further solidify my confidence in choosing the Camaro.

Sorry, I just get annoyed when I see things like this.. Just like the OP, I can't see myself staying in a forum if a lot of the feedback was similar to christianchevell.. and since i'm in love with my Camaro and furthering my knowledge on it and other things auto, I would like to see this forum continue to be a positive place where information sharing takes place. I can't read a post like that and not say anything.
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
byrosol
Thunderclap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IBM (LS3)
this thread is starting to derail
- 20% tint
- Spyder CCFL Halo Projector Headlights
- Barton Pistol Grip Shifter
- Bumblebee custom stripe kit
byrosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
Dynamite

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrosol View Post
this thread is starting to derail
This thread was off the tracks a week ago.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #27
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
I disagree that Camaro's don't handle. Mine feels amazing. I say sell the rice cake and buy the Zl1. Best of every world. Looks, power, and handling. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
PHEOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiefamily View Post
I disagree that Camaro's don't handle. Mine feels amazing. I say sell the rice cake and buy the Zl1. Best of every world. Looks, power, and handling. Good luck with your decision.
ZL1 is a bit of a different story. I've driven several Camaros (SS' mainly), and honestly, they do alright, but still can't keep up with me in the corners on my blown, old suspension and cheapo depot tires. I can't afford a ZL1, and if I could, I'd be waiting for the Z28 (sorry ZL1 people, I like both, but the Z28 is more my focus.)