Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Captain77

Drives: CRT 2SS/RS L99
Invisible paint protection.

I am looking at installing one of thoses clear paint protectors (vinyl, acrylic) on the front end of my Camaro I want the whole kit for the bumper and the hood has anyone had any experiences with these kits? Not sure if I trust myself to put it on and thinking about having it installed professionally. Any info would be appreciated.

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Captain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I don't have one nor have I ever installed one, but unless you have done vinyl work before I wouldn't do it yourself. The hood may be simple enough, but the bumper seems as if it could be tricky since you would have to move it around all the curves of the bumper. Again, I'm not expert so I could be wrong, but just my .02
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Its pretty tricky stuff, i wouldnt recommend trying it yourself by any means. Find a place local that installs it, Should be called Mylar is a word for it.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Captain77

Any ideas of a good brand or a web site to purchase?

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
Doraemon

Drives: 2011 IBM 2LT/RS
I had a clear bra done professionally, but I"m not very satisfied with it's fit. The big crazy piece that fits around the grille and headlights is very difficult to fit perfectly. I know for some of the bends you have to stretch the bra a little for it to fit. The key is to keep the bra wet at all times until the fit is nice.

Even though I'm disappointed by it's fit, I'm very satisfied with how clean the bumper stays, and how easy it is to wash. Also very happy that you can barely see it.

I would never do the bumper by myself. I did do the side rockers myself though. Definitely find someone with a good track record.
Doraemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I tried to install a kit myself on my CTSV, which also,has an aggressive front end. I can tell you that it took me two hours to get the first piece installed even remotely in the proper position. But it can be removed in anger in just a few seconds. I will never try to install one myself again.....ever.
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Captain77

Thanks for all the good advise. Looks like I will be having it done professionally. . Where are or what site did you guys get yours from.. what is considered to be a good one? I hate buying cheap crap that doesn't hold up.

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
Its pretty tricky stuff, i wouldnt recommend trying it yourself by any means. Find a place local that installs it, Should be called Mylar is a word for it.
It is not called Mylar What the OP is looking for is a clear protectant film made by 3M (Scotchguard) or Xpel, which is a premium clear protectant film.

To the OP, You could ask your local tinting company if they provide the installation service or of a company that does it. Make sure you get a reputable company that can provide references.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain77 View Post
Thanks for all the good advise. Looks like I will be having it done professionally. . Where are or what site did you guys get yours from.. what is considered to be a good one? I hate buying cheap crap that doesn't hold up.

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Xpel is the best you can get, but like I said in the previous post it does come at a premium.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
Captain77

Oh boy, I was just checking out xpel and they are very pricey.. any othr brands you know of?

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Captain77

I just found some called Venture Shield Ultra, but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. 320 $ for the upper bumper and the lower bumper combined.

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I had 3m installed by my dealer for 1000 around the door locks the mirrors and the entire front, I opted out of the piece that goes 1/2 way back on the hood as I do not like the line it leaves and I wanted graphic hood spears. I am totallly satisfied with the look and fit and they by the way farm it out to a body shop.........So this average kit is what 3m sells, and i would recommend opting out of the 1/2 hood piece ...as they can just not install it, and I installed my own hood spears and even more tricky my rocker stripes, once I even tried a rally kit but did not like how it took away from my paint and heating the hood cowling bends with a hair dryer in the friggin winter around 40-50 degrees in the driveway in the rain it was really hard for me to give up, but i did because it was not going to turn out right doing it by myself in the friggin freezing cold as I could not strech it good enough to do a total perfect job and trashed it.........130$ in the garbage...lesson learned..and looks better with spears. Bends are hard to do, and you need heat, and the right touch and having a pro do it in a heated shop where they have help and are expected to make it perfect is better when you need it right and especially if you do not have experience..........Even those of us who do have experience wince at some vinyl curves around cars........let alone a whole car wrap....lol thats ugly........the chrome i can understand, but to rat rod a camaro with flat colors bites ..........it just simulating primer, hell why not just buy primer and spray. I used to have gold stripes on my camaro, now i am into black you can see them in my pics and yes you will not notice the clear bra as its not really that visable, it does of course have cut lines were angles dictate it..............
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain77 View Post
I just found some called Venture Shield Ultra, but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. 320 $ for the upper bumper and the lower bumper combined.

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Think of it this way, How much do you think it will cost every time you want to do a repaint.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
Blue Demon

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Just be careful of the installer you choose. Try to look at some if his previous customers cars. I didn't and my installer here in Ft Worth, who claims to have done hundreds of Corvettes, absolutely made a mess of my $1,000 job.
Blue Demon is offline   Reply With Quote