Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Can we delete standard equipment?

Does anyone know if we will be able to delete equipment like Onstar,rear window defroster and rear spoiler? I want to order a 1SS without these.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Not as far as I know. That's why it's called "standard."
Old 10-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
If they let people do that GM loses money. Not gonna happen. You're always welcome to add options though.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
...rear window defroster....

um.... why would you not want this
im just at a loss as to why

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
99b4c

RPO UE0 is the code for other GM vehicles to delete Onstar,hope it works on the Camaro.

I want to delete these because I will never use the Onstar and dont want the fin on the roof, never use the rear defogger(only drive it when nice outside) and dont want the useless lines on the glass when I tint the windows.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Yea, fa get about it. Don't believe you're ever able to "reduce" the standard package.

2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto ordered-10/18/08
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Back in the day, you could order any car you wanted from GM any way you wanted. A few years ago they discovered that cost them money, time, and quality compared to their rivals from Japan who have always made features and packaged options set in a way that limits customer choice but decreases production costs and improves assembly and engineering quality.

When my Grandfather bought his 1985 Eldorado, he had it loaded with every option imginable, but untill I looked at everything available, he still could have gotten the factory CB radio, auto dimming rear view mirror, and Bose sound system that was not on the build order but available. Everything else was an individual option, from the power passenger seat and power recliners to the digital gauges, and yes, rear defrost. There were 16 individual options he checked off, and since there were 19 available, that meant there were over 400 million different combinations that a 1985 Cadillac Eldorado could be built. And back then, you COULD get the auto dimming rear vew mirror without rear defrost, or a power seat recliner without the power seat! And all that was for about 35,000 that actually came off the line in 1985.

Based on the number of factory available options I see in the Camaro, the total combinations of Camaro configurations from the factory is less than 500.

I do agree with being able to order a car without OnStar, and I will look into this RPO UE0 code very closely (in fact, I shall email Fbodfather to see if he knows if you can order the Camaro with this code), but rear defrost is a standard feature on even the most basic of Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas today. Even cheapo Kias have standard rear defrost. If 99.999999% of the buying public want it or aren't opposed to getting it, they will make it standard accross the line to save production costs.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
RPO UE0 is the code for other GM vehicles to delete Onstar,hope it works on the Camaro.

I want to delete these because I will never use the Onstar and dont want the fin on the roof, never use the rear defogger(only drive it when nice outside) and dont want the useless lines on the glass when I tint the windows.
The fin isn't just for Onstar. Having it removed pretty much ruins the capability of your stereo since on the Camaro and most other new vehicles the stereo is tied into it. The easiest way to get rid of the defogger (you can't delete this option now for safety issues, be like asking to delete the ABS system) is to buy after market glass that doesn't have the defogger and have it installed.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
you can alway add to, but not take away from.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Does anyone know if we will be able to delete equipment like Onstar,rear window defroster and rear spoiler? I want to order a 1SS without these.
yes....you can delete any equipment you want.......after you buy it.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
99b4c

Even on the 2009 Aveo you can delete Onstar with RPO UE0 and then you get a rear window radio antenna. I dont want the service,so I dont want the equipment in my car.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The fin isn't just for Onstar. Having it removed pretty much ruins the capability of your stereo since on the Camaro and most other new vehicles the stereo is tied into it. The easiest way to get rid of the defogger (you can't delete this option now for safety issues, be like asking to delete the ABS system) is to buy after market glass that doesn't have the defogger and have it installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c
Even on the 2009 Aveo you can delete Onstar with RPO UE0 and then you get a rear window radio antenna. I dont want the service,so I dont want the equipment in my car.
The fin is only for Onstar and satellite radio. The regular, old fashioned AM/FM tuner antenna is imprinted into the rear window defroster on most cars now. So if you remove the fin, your AM/FM reception will not be affected. Likewise, whether you delete the OnStar or not, the regular radio antenna comes imprinted in the rear window.

However, if someone is really that determined to get rid of their rear defrost and want to remove the laser guided, robot installed, perfect fitting and perfectly sealed factory window and put one in without lines in it that will be installed and sealed by hand which will never be as perfectly installed as the original, they will loose their AM/FM antenna.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:54 PM   #13
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Even in a place with no winter (i.e. Tucson), I use the rear defogger.

I used to laugh at the "Onstar, piece of mind" commercial, but when we got my wife her Saturn w/Onstar, that is exactly how I felt. Not to mention: Remote door unlocks, monthly diagnostic e-mails. When I get mine I will seriously look into the Onstar/Verizon calling plan (already with Verizon anyway).

The spoiler I can understand... but the other two, IMO, should be left as is.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The fin is only for Onstar and satellite radio. The regular, old fashioned AM/FM tuner antenna is imprinted into the rear window defroster on most cars now. So if you remove the fin, your AM/FM reception will not be affected. Likewise, whether you delete the OnStar or not, the regular radio antenna comes imprinted in the rear window.

However, if someone is really that determined to get rid of their rear defrost and want to remove the laser guided, robot installed, perfect fitting and perfectly sealed factory window and put one in without lines in it that will be installed and sealed by hand which will never be as perfectly installed as the original, they will loose their AM/FM antenna.
hmm no. I was originally wanting to remove the fin and have it plugged but the new fins have the radio antenna built into them and since I occasionally use the radio, I can't remove it.

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_How_It_Works.html
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote