Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #15
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
Agreed! Tire will help a lot. If that's not enough maybe it is the wrong car. I don't mean this as a flame of the OP.
Nor should it be - the Z/28 is a great car, but made for the road course and some street. If you are on the street more the Gen 6 SS or ZL1 are super nice options.

i rented a Gen 6 SS on a recent trip form Hertz as it popped up for only $20 per day more. It was a vert and had the magna ride suspension - I was super impressed with the overall ride, the handling and how fast it was. It was all the car you really ever need for the street. I was surprised how fast the SS really is!~

There are so many great options out there and each has its own niche - find what is right for you.

I would not chase suspension changes - street tires like Michelin MPS's will help. Don't spend a bunch of money changing suspension changes, that could go towards an alternate car. If tires don't do it, I would consider an alternate car to keep the wife happy - Happy Wife - Happy Life!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 14 GT3
I'm probably one of the few that actually enjoys the way the Z/28 bucks around; absolutely dig it.

...but, good luck with your search for a softer ride
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #17
cdry82

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Tires

I've driven two Z/28's back to back with the only difference being tires. Trefeos on one, Bridestone RE-11's on the other. The tires are a huge knob for changing ride harshness. Try the RE-11's, I don't think you're u will be disappointed, and won't need the shock change. It will take the edge off for sure.
cdry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #18
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever changed out their DSSVs and even their springs to something that is a little less harsh for street use? I do not track my car and while I can live with the harsh ride, my wife cannot.

I know that if you are going to track the car on a road course you want the DSSVs - no doubt about that. But on the street the ride can be brutal, especially on a concrete surface.

So before anyone says that I should get rid of the Z/28 and buy something else that is not part of the equation. IF I were to do this - and it is a big if - it is because I love everything else about the Z and especially the LS7. I would keep all the factory original parts for the next owner IF I do end up changing them out. They will not be for sale so please don't ask.

Tire-wise, I am definitely going to something else than the Trofeo's but am still considering those options. I will probably do all three at the same time or at least the tires first.

I'm only considering changing the shocks and possibly the springs; this is not set in stone yet. Has anyone done this and if so, what did you change the parts to? Are you satisfied with the results?

I did search but couldn't find anything along this topic. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions (other than telling me to sell the Z and get a different car).
Changing the tires alone to something like michelin pilot super sports is a huge difference over the Trofeos. I would try swapping the tires first.
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #19
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo & 2015 Z/28 #595
I have Michelin pilot super sports on my car and love them. The ride is night and day different from my Trofeos. I agree with others here and would start with tires first. There are some good suggestions here. You just need to find the best one for your driving style. Good luck.
2015 #595 A/C
shawn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #20
Chulai

Drives: '79 Camaro, '99 Vette, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28monster View Post
I'm probably one of the few that actually enjoys the way the Z/28 bucks around; absolutely dig it.

...but, good luck with your search for a softer ride
Me too brother! It's part of the "soul" of the car but to each his own I guess.
'14 Chevy SS
'15 Z/28 #990
Chulai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #21
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Like others have said - tires make a huge difference. My experience...

Conti DWs - excellent winter tire (caught in snow twice unexpectedly and had zero issues), ok track tire (watch outside edge wear and don't over drive the tire!) and great rain / wet weather tire. With track alignment car felt squishy but I got used to it fast.

Trofeos - very sticky, paint destroyer, trams, noisy, firm but gods gift of grip on track

R888R (295) - noisy, somewhat of paint destroy, does not tram, firmer then Trofeo, sticky on track till it's not.

If your shopping based on price point, I think the Kuhmo PS91s might be your best bet ATM unless the Conti's come back at 178 a tire. As others have said the ride is materially different on tires so I'd try that first before suspension. If you want a 200 tread wear tire I believe the RE-11 is supposed to offer great road manners with excellent grip. Never tried it but on my list.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #22
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Thanks guys. I will definitely change the tires and then see how it goes. I really love the LS7 and everything else about the car.

Yes, I knew it was a race car and I have no problem as it is for me. But if I want her to ride with me, I need to soften it up a bit.

2015 Z/28 Black
A/C & Audio

Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote