Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
ZuluKilla8

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS RJT
I have the V-3 and love it, so im biased, im at 530 RWHP, just saving up some more money before I bring it up to Jannetty for the Upgrade!
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Holley Hi-Ram Manifold,Custom grind boost cam,Vortech V-3,10Rib 3.47 Pully Airfilter Pipe Delete, 10 PSI, TSP LT Headers, Flowmaster Outlaws, Alky Control Meth Kit, PFADT 1.25, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSS 1000HP axles, Mantic ER2 Clutch, Full BMR rear suspension drag pack upgrade. C6 Vette 18 rims with M/T 305 out back. COPO Hood
Race Proven Motorsports tuned
ZuluKilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #30
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
As being someone who has personally owned (3) 402 cid Centris, (1) 402' KB, (1) 443" TTi Twin Turbo, (1) 454" Direct port N20, and (1) 440' KB, all on the exact same car, and they were always a"true" street car, I would go for the KB (or any twin screw for that matter) over a centri for the street. They are hands down the best driving forced induction setup you can run on a street car.

People think that a twin screw car hits so hard that it is either undriveable, spins the tires everywhere you go, or affects the longevity. That is completely and totally false.

Heres the thing.. Yes, when you stab the throttle, you will go from no boost, to virtually full boost almost immediatly. Keyword: STAB. Although very fun, the car usually violently comes alive. Kinda like tossing water on your wife at 4am, while she's sound asleep. My point being, is when you are accelerating, even when aggressively accelerating, the blower bypass valve has the ability to gradually close. Being that it is spring loaded, there is resistance. So even when you are in boost, you can very easily take a 10psi car, and accelerate at 3-4psi. If you are not happy with that power, you can tip in harder to give yourself the full boost. What im getting at, is that when driving your car in anything but full throttle, the blower is very very driveable and predictable. Im not saying full throttle isnt predictable or driveable though.

Centris are great blowers. The Procharger holds more world titles than any other blower on the market of its kind. But when it comes to driveability, a top mount blower is wayyyyy more driveable when actually in boost, but not full tilt. Rather than being rpm dependant, they are throttle dependant. This means user input determines everything. The user does not need to focus on specific RPM's, all he needs to do, is modulate the pedal. EXACTLY the way you do with no blower.

Any of the 3 blowers you have chosen will more than handle your power level. They are all capable of delivering great driving experiences on your car. But unless you are making a "Driveability" decision based on your actual experiences, I would urge you to talk to alot of guys who drive both cars. You will find that the myth of high HP top mount cars, and their ability to be driven hard, is nothing more than a myth. Hence the reason the ZR1, and CTS-V all run top mount blowers.

My vote goes for a Twin Screw Blower.. They are sooooo fun to drive on the street. Plus they look cool as heck.

I hope this helps your decision. Depending on where you live, I may be able to contact a couple of our customers to arrange a drive in the different setups.

If you ever need pricing, we would be more than happy to quote you a price, and/or install as well. If you have any specific questions, and cant seem to find it on the forum, dont hesitate to call the shop, or even shoot a call or text to my personal cell 702-354-5333

Good luck on whatever direction you choose. Its a blast to drive blown Camaro's

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderMoose View Post
I've been deciding and reading all about the available superchargers for a while now, but this question might require people who actually own one.

I've narrowed my choices down to a Vortech v3, a Kenne Bell, or a Whipple.

This car is my daily driver, so my biggest concerns are engine life and traction(can be fixed with suspension, but i cant afford that for a while).

I'm really, really leaning for the Vortech because I dont plan to EVER go over 700HP, and the way it builds rpms seems like itd be best for daily driving, but I'll come to Camaro5 and see what you guys think.
Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #31
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
I'm not saying this in a negative way, but I "Think" you may have meant that a top mount has more of a "NA" power delivery. When comparing the power/torque of both types, being that the Top mount has instant boost, it is able to produce very very flat torque curves. This most often mimics the NA powerband. A centri usually always has the torque curve bias to the higher RPM. Which of course, is very desireable to a significant amount of people. But there are quite a few cars out there who have set up valve timing, and motor/driveline specs to really take advantage of the centris airflow capabilities, which results in very flat curves, but out of the box, they tend to favor the upper range of the power band.

Again, please dont take that as a smartazz comment, I'm sure you know this stuff already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonMusser View Post
The centrifugal blower will have very "NA" like power delivery.. Makes "driving" it easier especially if you plan to do any track days etc
Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #32
Prochargedchevyi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Top-mount blowers will force you to "roll" into the throttle rather than just punching it. The margin of error during a race (or off the line) is minimal and it's going to take some practice to get used to it. If you don't intend on ever bringing it to the track and are just looking for the "hey, check this out" factor, than a top mount is for you.

Personally, I prefer centri style. In my experience they pull harder on the top end where races are won. Granted, technology has somewhat bridged the gap over the years, but the physics are constant.

If you've never been in either type of car, the only way to analogize it would be to say TM's shoot you out of the hole like a bullet; and centri's accelerate like a freight train. Both are equally awesome, but it really depends on your driving style and where you like your power.

Vince
Prochargedchevyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #33
Adam@ST

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Kenne Bell FTW

Ok ,heres a modded pump gas Kenne Bell LS3 Camaro. The Camaro has a stock short block, cam, headers,catback,on 13degrees of timing 91 crap CA gas.
Attached Images

Adam@ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #34
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
This is a Debate that will NEVER END!!!

They are ALL GOOD.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #35
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I have Jannetty Racings setup.

610wHP on Vortech V3..
Its awesome on the street. I love it. Doesn't die out at all at high rpms keeps pulling hard.
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #36
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Very good thread on something I always wonder about....
I think the way it was explained by all really helped to answer the overall question......

All are good but work in different ways so it all comes back to what is preferred.....
Out of the hole torque crazy pulling to the top....
Or smooth delivery into mid to top end constant pulling.....
Old 09-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #37
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
I dumped my KB as fast as I could. Thing caused me a lot of issues.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
I think at 3 years later then when this thread was started.....not many will have a Ken Bell.
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #39
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Hahah didn't realize when this thread was started, nice necro..
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #40
Barbarino

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
I just ordered the vortech v3 with the Jannety upgrade package and I cant wait to get it installed!!
I highly recommend Ted at Jannety racing he is AWESOME!!!!
Barbarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #41
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarino View Post
I just ordered the vortech v3 with the Jannety upgrade package and I cant wait to get it installed!!
I highly recommend Ted at Jannety racing he is AWESOME!!!!
Thanks Mr. Barbarino
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote