Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: What should be done with speed limits?
No speed limits anywhere 12 13.04%
F class liscense for capable drivers in capable cars to not obey limits 47 51.09%
Lots of speed limits like currently(I like driving slow) 33 35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #43
The Boat
His seafaringness

Drives: yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
how old are you
o and btw.. Way more ppl agree that there should be an f class or should be no speed limits than the current arrangement sooo deal with it. BTW, i'm actively lobbying for a pilot F class program or to raise all speed limits in california. I might have a bill sponsor soon.
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #44
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat View Post
o and btw.. Way more ppl agree that there should be an f class or should be no speed limits than the current arrangement sooo deal with it. BTW, i'm actively lobbying for a pilot F class program or to raise all speed limits in california. I might have a bill sponsor soon.
A. You would be suprised at how many votes you'd have gotten had you provided better choices on that pole.

B. Apparently my asking your age hit a soft spot... that combined with your overly immature response, im feeling... 15?

C. Thats great. You must be very proud. Maybe one day you'll understand why 'the man' is holding you down with those brutal and unfair speed limits.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #45
The Boat
His seafaringness

Why are you buying a camaro to go slow? Lemme guess for you other car you bought a school bus to commute to work by yourself right? How could I have made the choice better honestly. PPl that drive the speed limit drive slow.... period. Its an accepted fact here in california where everyone goes a minimum of 10mph over the speedlimit everywhere or gets jeered at.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #46
Oracle

Drives: Ford Focus
alright alright alright T.Boat your starting to become hostile at the comments. take a second and calm down bro. the idea is that an F class license would be to difficult to make work. people would abuse the right or otherwise not use it responsibly. speed limits are enacted to protect the people, not the individual. governments dont care that 40% of populations are capable drivers and 30% of those have a capable vehicle. thats only 12% of the population that this F class license would adhere to (these are just example figures i made up... dont quote them). its just not worth the ammount of headaches that would ensue trying to mandate, adhere, and govern the problems for 12% of the population.

But I agree with you. there should be no speed limit. we shouldnt have to go out and say "alright now your just being dumb people... so to keep you from killing yourselves or someone else were going to inhibit everybody to the average, and nobody is allowed to break average." I say we scrap speed limits. in fact ill one up that, i say we scrap speedometers. let me explain. when you drive right now, you watch that speedometer. if there were no limits you would still build yourself into a comfortable setting of "on this road i normally go 80" so when you hit that road you open up the taps and get up to 80. you have now set your personal speed limit. fair enough. that would be the fairly competent population. what about the kids going "ive done this corner at 45 before... bet i could do 55." not so good. if you take away that indication of speed you will make the population a lot more aware to their surroundings. instead of the "normally i do 80 here" you get a "how does this road feel today... am i comfortable with doing the speeds i am?" I feel people are smart, and if you let them be smart then they will use that right. of course you will still have some kids going "I wonder if i can take that corner a bit faster." we have those kids right now though, and a speed limit doesnt stop them now does it. I say let people figure it out for themselves, let them perceive the dangers, and let them make the decisions. i have full faith that if that were to happen then roads would become safer for both pedestrians and other drivers... and i could finally get to work on time
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #47
The Boat
His seafaringness

that might be the most intelligent comment I have every heard. All speed limits do is make insurance more expensive and cities richer from tickets!!!! They obviosly don't make ppl safer bc no one in california ever follows them!!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #48
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i don't worry so much about good drivers driving fast... it's the bad drivers who can't react to the good ones who worry me. their inability or inexperience makes them more prone to cause accidents with the good drivers because they can't accurately judge what the other driver is doing.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #49
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
I haven't voted or commented because there are so many things wrong with this thread.
If you want to drive fast, that's why there are tracks. I live in California, so you can't come up with the excuse that there aren't any tracks nearby.
Now just because you know how to drive fast safely, it dosen't mean that there aren't still idiots on the road. Idiots who will cause accidents no matter how good of a driver you are.
Do you have any idea the damage that would be caused in an accident if you are going over 80mph?
Yes, there will be accidents, no matter how much you insist that you are a good driver.

Speed limits are established and enforced for a reason to save lifes!!!

I know how traffic moves in California and i'll admit I drive over the speed limit. But the way traffic is here, if you don't move at the same speed as everyone else, you will cause an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
i don't worry so much about good drivers driving fast... it's the bad drivers who can't react to the good ones who worry me. their inability or inexperience makes them more prone to cause accidents with the good drivers because they can't accurately judge what the other driver is doing.
QFT

Last edited by Milk 1027; 03-30-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: are not is
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #50
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I haven't voted or commented because there is so many things wrong with this thread.
i almost didn't for the same reason
Old 03-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #51
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I haven't voted or commented because there is so many things wrong with this thread.
If you want to drive fast, that's why there are tracks. I live in California, so you can't come up with the excuse that there aren't any tracks nearby.
Now just because you know how to drive fast safely, it dosen't mean that there aren't still idiots on the road. Idiots who will cause accidents no matter how good of a driver you are.
Do you have any idea the damage that would be caused in an accident if you are going over 80mph?
Yes, there will be accidents, no matter how much you insist that you are a good driver.

Speed limits are established and enforced for a reason to save lifes!!!

I know how traffic moves in California and i'll admit I drive over the speed limit. But the way traffic is here, if you don't move at the same speed as everyone else, you will cause an accident.

QFT
speed limits don't save lives when no one follows them...

80mph is slow.

iF You cared about saving lives you would support banning all cars and forcing people to ride around at 10 mph in giant doughnuts!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #52
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
speed limits don't save lives when no one follows them...

80mph is slow.

iF You cared about saving lives you would support banning all cars and forcing people to ride around at 10 mph in giant doughnuts!!!
for one, 80mph is not slow for a public road! many older vehicles don't even like going that fast. my last explorer was in great running condition & it still acted like it was gonna hate me for trying to drive that fast in it.

safety - watch a wreck at 80mph or higher. then watch a similar wreck at 55mph. that can make a drastic difference... especially when it involves two vehicles traveling towards each other. at 55, the combined impact speed is 110. at 80, that's the same as one car hitting a wall at 160. don't tell us that excessive speed don't mean the difference between living & dying in many cases.

just for reference, here's a mercades (some of the 'safest' cars out there) that hit a tree at 130

or a 100+ mph head-on collision that put the guy in the hospital for weeks

ps - if you want to be that extreme, you should also stop people from using electricity, going swimming, building a campfire when it gets cold...

Last edited by zebra; 03-30-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #53
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
I am all for no limit on highways. Just drive fast, courteously and with caution.

BEFORE this can happen in N.Amerca, our roads need to improve to European standards. You need good quality roads.

If you look at the stats for the autobahn, there are far fewer accidents per say than most other countries. That says a lot.

You need to change peoples mentality that going fast shouldnt be done in any vehicle, only ones that can widthstand it.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 AM   #54
The Boat
His seafaringness

exactly... thats what my proposal says though. Only the few qualified ppl and vehicles. Obviously a ford expedition won't be allowed to break the speed limit!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:53 AM   #55
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I think that there should be fewer laws in general. You don't need a bunch of laws to know when someone is being unsafe. You can be perfectly safe while driving 80 miles an hour. Or you can be driving like a complete idiot doing only 25. Made up numbers have nothing to do with how safely you are driving. I say get rid of most of the laws and just lock up the idiots.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #56
The Boat
His seafaringness

agreed!! That's what I was getting at. Im saying capable people driving capable cars shouldn't be legally persecuted.... Im not saying people should glue their gas pedal to the floor and drive 130 all the time... I'm saying arbitrary speed limits don't make sense.... but sense no one will get rid of them completely i think some ppl should be exempted