Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: What should be done with speed limits?
No speed limits anywhere 12 13.04%
F class liscense for capable drivers in capable cars to not obey limits 47 51.09%
Lots of speed limits like currently(I like driving slow) 33 35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 04:46 AM   #57
Tactical Z
Banned

Drives: Nissan Titan
Whats a F class license?
Tactical Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #58
Tal

Drives: Old
I like to go fast but the first two options are crazy and it's more likely that someone will randomly give me a billion dollars than that either one of them will happen.

I would like to see increased speed limits on limited access highways, and better highways but the party currently in power is more interested in reducing speed limits in the name of green than increasing them, and their support for spending money on better highways seems halfhearted at best.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #59
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat View Post
If its on a regular street and kids run out to get hit, its just bad parenting and they probably would have died in a 50 mph area too.

I don't usually name call but this is an exception, you're an idiot for this post.

how about you just go to a race track like the normal people if you want to go ridiculously fast.

that is all.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #60
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Even in Europe, most of the roads have designated speed limits. While driving the autobahn I noticed that there weren't too many areas that were unlimited for speed. And their speed laws are very strictly enforced. Getting in trouble there could get ugly.

As for the 'F' class license, it would be an additional burden on law enforcement. They'd have to watch for speeders and then check to see if that vehicle was registered to someone who had an 'F' license. What if you loaded out your car? What if you were driving someone elses? Too many variables to make enforcement of laws equitable across the books.

Finally, I have seen some VERY good drivers get in some very ugly situations. The faster you are going the easier it will be for everything to go sideways quickly. Think about it and save the excessive speed for the tracks.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #61
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Z View Post
Whats a F class license?
Fail class
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #62
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Speed limits are there for a reason ... I do think that there should be roads that don't have speed limits though .. the ones that are nice and flat and in the middle of no where ..

Crowley
Old 03-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #63
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Americans are not ready for no speed limits or F class, as much as I or you or anyone else on this forum might be.

Besides the nightmare of getting our streets and highways up to 21st century standards (the Autobahn is maintained to such an incredibly high standard that every inch is inspected every year, and if there is so much as a crack forming they replace an entire section of the road in question immediately, and the road is twice as thick as our highway system to begin with), the USA would also have to revamp how people maintain their cars.

Most European countries require a full vehicle inspection every year to get your tags renewed. Now, we're not talking some EPA emissions test......

Your tires must have proper tread, all 4 must be matched for the car, and all 4 must be ballanced and your alignment be within spec.

The engine must be tuned up, no check engine codes, and all the accessories working along with the belts be in good condition

Brakes must be in proper order (pad life, rotor/drum thickness, master cylinder/fluid/brake lines are also inpsected)

No cracks on any window

No rust through or corrosion

The exhaust system must not be rotted/noisy

The transmission must opperate properly

All the safety equipment must be in proper order

And there must not be any modifications made to it not approved

In other words, the junkers you see here in the States are not even road legal in most European countries. That's part of creating a safe environment for high speed driving. It has been proven that accidents on the Autobahn have a lower rate than here in the States, but the entire country takes high speed driving very seriously, and are willing to pay for the infrastructure required to make it safe to do so.
Have you ever had your car inspected in NJ? Its almost same as above. Plus our roads are not up to European specs. The autobahn is a 24 inch bed as opposed to our roads whic have a 12 inch bed. This ectra 12 inches serves for a smoother ride which helps controlling the car at a faster speed.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #64
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Whats a F class license?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
Fail class
Quoted for truth.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #65
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
the speed limits should be raised not eliminated
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #66
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I think it should be done like Germany does it. Speed limits everywhere except on the big expressways between major towns. Maybe some very rural two lane roads out west could get away without a speed limit also. A special license could possibly be incorperated in this as well. Of course the roadways, vehicle inpections, and driving education would have to be brought up to the level required for such driving.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #67
The Boat
His seafaringness

Drives: yugo
Quote:
Whats a F class license?
read original post!
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #68
The Boat
His seafaringness

Drives: yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
I like to go fast but the first two options are crazy and it's more likely that someone will randomly give me a billion dollars than that either one of them will happen.

I would like to see increased speed limits on limited access highways, and better highways but the party currently in power is more interested in reducing speed limits in the name of green than increasing them, and their support for spending money on better highways seems halfhearted at best.
There is a growing lobby here in california to ditch the lobby. We are pretty close to getting the state assembly to consider revising speed limit laws... or creating something like an f-class liscense
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #69
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I haven't voted or commented because there is so many things wrong with this thread.
If you want to drive fast, that's why there are tracks. I live in California, so you can't come up with the excuse that there aren't any tracks nearby.
Now just because you know how to drive fast safely, it dosen't mean that there aren't still idiots on the road. Idiots who will cause accidents no matter how good of a driver you are.
Do you have any idea the damage that would be caused in an accident if you are going over 80mph?
Yes, there will be accidents, no matter how much you insist that you are a good driver.

Speed limits are established and enforced for a reason to save lifes!!!

I know how traffic moves in California and i'll admit I drive over the speed limit. But the way traffic is here, if you don't move at the same speed as everyone else, you will cause an accident.

QFT

+1000000
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #70
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
We have speed limits Boat to protect us from idiots like you!

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote