Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: What should be done with speed limits?
No speed limits anywhere 12 13.04%
F class liscense for capable drivers in capable cars to not obey limits 47 51.09%
Lots of speed limits like currently(I like driving slow) 33 35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #71
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Nice thought though...I liked what they did in Montana..unlimited speed is specific areas..
Let me tell you my Montana Experience. It turns out there was no official speed limit (that has been repealed and there are limits now everywhere in Montana). However the rule for the road was actually that you were required to maintain a 'prudent' speed for conditions. The net effect was that the speed limit was whatever the cop on patrol in that area thought it should be. 85 apparently wasn't prudent on a long straight stretch- he just made it a warning though.

To the OP. I understand 100% what you are trying to say and do. I've read all your counters. It won't work in America today without a system overhaul- and good luck getting those arguments out with the current eco-arguments. It would be easier politically to reduce the average speed then to raise it right now.

It's not speed that kills in general, it's differences in speed-if everyone drove 100 mph with appropriate distance between each car, then 100 wouldn't be an issue. Until you can effectively enforce travel lanes and minimum speed and distance- don't even bother.

You'd be better off trying to create toll roads with 100 mph speed limits and private enforcement.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #72
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat View Post
Seeing as that are camaros are all on there way there is an important problem to address. Its the called speed limit. Having owned a gto I know that even driving briskly, It has so much torque that most speed limits are broken momentarily. Speed limits are useless I don't care how much hate ppl will give me. Anyway, for people that have the right car and right experience we need a license class that allows them to violate speed limits. WIth a certain driving test and a certified car anyone will be able to recieve a liscence of this class... f class for fast!!!!

Who digs it. THen ppl with capable cars and capable minds can get places faster...
That sounds like a fantastic idea. Cars going 150MPH passing and weaving through traffic going on average probably 75MPH.. What could go wrong Seriously, my wife does NOT need to get onto a road where crazy licensed drivers who can drive however fast they want can hit her, or kill her. I don't even have kids yet, and see how badly this could turn out. I have no problem with Giving them their own road like the autobahn or something. Then people can decide whether or not to get on or stay off. But please don't let them drive everywhere like that.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #73
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
Have you ever had your car inspected in NJ? Its almost same as above. Plus our roads are not up to European specs. The autobahn is a 24 inch bed as opposed to our roads whic have a 12 inch bed. This ectra 12 inches serves for a smoother ride which helps controlling the car at a faster speed.
I applaud your state for having such strict inspection codes.

Unfotunately, it's not the same in every state. Here in Ohio, inspections are about as thorough as reading the back cover summary of War and Peace thinking you've read the whole story. It will mortify you to see some of the cars people drive, especially if they are from the not so great parts of Cleveland or Toledo.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #74
Restroom
Screw it; buying a Vette

Drives: '08 Corvette C6 Coupe (A6)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The exhaust system must not be rotted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's the spirit! Just a beautiful phrase.
Restroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #75
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Didn't read the thread.

I voted for speed limits. The cost of 'special' licenses would be ridiculous. And it's not the skill of the better driver but the stupidity of the others. Doesn't matter how well YOU can drive, I can cause you to wreck.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #76
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
^^
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #77
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Wow... this has got to be the most rediculous thread I've ever seen. I voted for speed limits as they are now.

After all, its not speed that's the major hazard. Its differences in speed. Such as the mercedes going 130 and the tree going 0. If the tree were going 130, there wouldn't have been a problem.

If some people on the road are going 130, and others are going 40, then you have a problem roughly the equivalent of driving 90 right at a brick wall. Except its a brick wall that moves on its own and thinks on its own, and does both in a way that YOU have no way of predicting. Even if nobody obeys the current speed limits, very few people go more than 15 over, and very few go more than 10 under. That leaves an average maximum gap of about 25 mph, not 90 mph.

In short - this has got to be the stupidest idea I've read in a while. But at least it made me laugh!
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #78
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Wow... this has got to be the most rediculous thread I've ever seen. I voted for speed limits as they are now.

After all, its not speed that's the major hazard. Its differences in speed. Such as the mercedes going 130 and the tree going 0. If the tree were going 130, there wouldn't have been a problem.

If some people on the road are going 130, and others are going 40, then you have a problem roughly the equivalent of driving 90 right at a brick wall. Except its a brick wall that moves on its own and thinks on its own, and does both in a way that YOU have no way of predicting. Even if nobody obeys the current speed limits, very few people go more than 15 over, and very few go more than 10 under. That leaves an average maximum gap of about 25 mph, not 90 mph.

In short - this has got to be the stupidest idea I've read in a while. But at least it made me laugh!
- Xanthos

Dumbest thread of all time. I cant believe people are SERIOUSLY arguing for the higher speed limits.

Germany has higher speed limits, but getting your license in Germany is about as Easy as getting your US Visa with a name like Osama.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #79
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
people couldn't possibly handle it.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #80
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Get rid of all the speed limits.. Oh wait, that is how I lived while in Panama for 20 years What people don't understand, is that if everyone was able to do whatever they wanted to while driving, you would be a lot more careful while coming up to an intersection..Not many people would be speeding after awhile..lol..
Old 08-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #81
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
Quote:
Americans are not ready for no speed limits or F class, as much as I or you or anyone else on this forum might be.

Besides the nightmare of getting our streets and highways up to 21st century standards (the Autobahn is maintained to such an incredibly high standard that every inch is inspected every year, and if there is so much as a crack forming they replace an entire section of the road in question immediately, and the road is twice as thick as our highway system to begin with), the USA would also have to revamp how people maintain their cars.

Most European countries require a full vehicle inspection every year to get your tags renewed. Now, we're not talking some EPA emissions test......

Your tires must have proper tread, all 4 must be matched for the car, and all 4 must be ballanced and your alignment be within spec.

The engine must be tuned up, no check engine codes, and all the accessories working along with the belts be in good condition

Brakes must be in proper order (pad life, rotor/drum thickness, master cylinder/fluid/brake lines are also inpsected)

No cracks on any window

No rust through or corrosion

The exhaust system must not be rotted/noisy

The transmission must opperate properly

All the safety equipment must be in proper order

And there must not be any modifications made to it not approved

In other words, the junkers you see here in the States are not even road legal in most European countries. That's part of creating a safe environment for high speed driving. It has been proven that accidents on the Autobahn have a lower rate than here in the States, but the entire country takes high speed driving very seriously, and are willing to pay for the infrastructure required to make it safe to do so.
not only all this but there are strict rules for drivers being on the autobahn, such as no gestures for giving the finger at other drivers, i dont think large trucks are allowed on, your not allowed to run out of fuel while on the autobahn, and the cars that drive on there are designed to crash at top speed of the vehicle and have the drivers survive, but lately i think theres been a bit much of congestion on the autobahn and i think they have part time speed limits in place
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #82
Croatcamaro2010

also on side roads there are many speed photos around town and i know as much as people hate speed photos now on the highway in a work zone when guys are paving the road or whatever, think whats going to happen when those cameras are everywhere
Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #83
Croatcamaro2010

as for all those morons that say "if the kid gets hit its his own fault" i hope a dump truck backs out in front of you flying through a sub division and you blame the truck driver, thats just silly, we need to be reasonable because if we do not respect the ways of the road our fast cars will be taken away from us much like automatic weapons, it just takes one idiot to shoot up the place and the party ends
Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #84
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatcamaro2010 View Post
not only all this but there are strict rules for drivers being on the autobahn, such as no gestures for giving the finger at other drivers, i dont think large trucks are allowed on, your not allowed to run out of fuel while on the autobahn, and the cars that drive on there are designed to crash at top speed of the vehicle and have the drivers survive, but lately i think theres been a bit much of congestion on the autobahn and i think they have part time speed limits in place
You are correct.... I watched a documentary about the Autobahn, and they spoke to a German highway patrol officer. Your ticket is based on your income - the more you make the higher the ticket.

The officer said he ticketed a very rich man in a black S-Class Mercedes 8,000 Deutsche Mark (this was a few years before the Euro) for flipping another driver off.

I am completely in favor of the draconian application of strict trafic laws here in our country if it would mean higher speed limits.

But it won't happen. Not when so many American drivers couldn't back out of their driveway without hitting something in their '72 Gremlin with a bumper tied on with a bungee cord and the passenger door held on with duct tape.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote