Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
IOMss11

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange metallic 2SS
Power steering/fluid issue

Hi, new to these forums but they've been extremely helpful to me for the past few months so here we go!

I recently had my car dyno-tuned by a shop(no name so i don't discredit them) And they told me my power steering fluid was low and the rack needs to be bled and re-filled.

I was then told by 3 other shops that the power steering fluid doesnt need to be changed until around 30k miles or so, (i have 9400). The pump only makes noise when the wheel is 100% turned right or left, Is that normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
IOMss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
Ive never had my wheel make noise
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
My power steering pump is quiet.
Turning the wheel to 100% lock starves the pump and it will make a growling noise. This noise is from excess pressure in the lines.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Low fluid is almost never heard of. And never heard of bleeding the pump if its low.
Maybe bleed it if it went dry???? But not because its low.
And yes like others said, any car with power steering will make some kind of noise if you turn the steering wheel hard to its right or left most limits.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
My car is also weird like that, no matter hot or cold the dipstick has some bright yellow goo on the low line on the dipstick. Fired it up for the first time this am in colder weather and the pump moaned a little so idk. Once it's warmed up it makes no noise but the fact that I can't see fluid on the dipstick makes me wonder, I need to check the owners manual to see what kind it takes and probably put some in lol
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Turning the wheel to 100% lock starves the pump and it will make a growling noise. This noise is from excess pressure in the lines.
I never knew that! But every car I've ever had has made that noise with the wheel turned all the way to one side. Good to know. Thanks for the info.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
You should never turn your wheels all the way to the stops.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
If you turn your wheel to the max you will hear a noise. As for the low fluid that shouldn't happen.It has nothing to do with bleeding the rack and refilling it. You might have a leak in the rack, or one of the lines that's what I'd check.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
That is incorrect. Turning all the way to one side the pump is not starved of oil, it send the oil threw a relief valve to maintain a maximum system pressure. That noise you here is the oil being forced through the relief valve. It is 100% normal, and nothing to worry about. It's designed that way.
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi IOMss11,

If you would like to pursue the issue further, I would be happy to arrange an appointment for you at your local dealership. You may send us a private message at any time with your full contact information, VIN, and name of preferred dealership. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMss11 View Post
Hi, new to these forums but they've been extremely helpful to me for the past few months so here we go!

I recently had my car dyno-tuned by a shop(no name so i don't discredit them) And they told me my power steering fluid was low and the rack needs to be bled and re-filled.

I was then told by 3 other shops that the power steering fluid doesnt need to be changed until around 30k miles or so, (i have 9400). The pump only makes noise when the wheel is 100% turned right or left, Is that normal?

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
That is incorrect. Turning all the way to one side the pump is not starved of oil, it send the oil threw a relief valve to maintain a maximum system pressure. That noise you here is the oil being forced through the relief valve. It is 100% normal, and nothing to worry about. It's designed that way.
+1
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Predator2U

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMss11 View Post

The only time it would need to be bled is if air was introduced into the system (fluid change, repairs ect). I just recently hit a coyote on the freeway at 70MPH and had to have the front plastic replaced. Along with that, the AC condensor and brackets was replaced too. They had to remove a power steering line during the repairs and refill the system. When I picked up my car post repairs, the power steering wasn't working. It was sure making a terrible noise though and I demanded that it gets fixed immediately. They checked the fluid level and said everything was fine. They called a local Chevy dealer and was told to bleed the rack. That fixed the problem.