Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #29
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Classic Example of late model collectibility:

2000 Cobra R - Total Production 300, one year only. MSRP $55k. Very high markup past MSRP. Historically significant. The fastest Mustang built up to that point, good race history. Price climbed for years.

Today?

Low mileage = http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...US_Cars_Trucks
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Classic Example of late model collectibility:

2000 Cobra R - Total Production 300, one year only. MSRP $55k. Very high markup past MSRP. Historically significant. The fastest Mustang built up to that point, good race history. Price climbed for years.

Today?

Low mileage = http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...US_Cars_Trucks
Yep, I seriously doubt any new model car will ever become super collectible. Part of what made some cars so collectible from the 60s is that you could have some super rare options in certain combos. Back when you could option out a car exactly how YOU wanted it. that made for some fairly unique and rare cars
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #31
McRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post

Now if only they can sell more Volts
They need to lend people a Volt for a week and tell them how to use it right.

The Volt is a hellavu car. Way under-rated by the magazines. Nimble, quick, and comfy for an econobox. It's my favorite car to drive on crowded city streets. Power is instant, and carves like a knife.

What the dealer and mags don't tell you:

Always drive in L range. This is not low gear. It is maximum regeneration. Chop the throttle and it slows like high compression manual trans.

Always drive in Sport Mode. More fun.

3585 miles now, and it's used 7.8 gallons of gas, and used $93 worth of electricity.

BUT... It's not the economy that makes it fun to drive. Can you imagine driving for months and never stopping at a gas station?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #32
radrace19

Drives: Pontiac G8 GXP
Quote:

The Volt is a hellavu car. Way under-rated by the magazines. Nimble, quick, and comfy for an econobox. It's my favorite car to drive on crowded city streets. Power is instant, and carves like a knife.

Always drive in L range. This is not low gear. It is maximum regeneration. Chop the throttle and it slows like high compression manual trans.

3585 miles now, and it's used 7.8 gallons of gas, and used $93 worth of electricity.

BUT... It's not the economy that makes it fun to drive. Can you imagine driving for months and never stopping at a gas station?
Wow that is pretty good.
convert that $93.00 into gallons of gas. say 3.50 per gallon and you are getting over 100mpg

2009.5 G8 GT (Liquid Red)
GXP fascia conversion, GXP diffuser

2009 GXP M6 (MSM) #405 586rwhp/495tq
TVS2300, CTS-V Fuel System, Cam 222/230 116 lsa, Monster Lever 4 Clutch, American Racing 1 7/8 headers, rear Brembo's w/working Parking brake
11.91 @ 119
radrace19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #33
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Very few modern cars ever become collectible.
When was an era when a modern car was collectible during in its modern on-the-market timespan? Being serious here, not trying to be an a$$.

In my experience, only time will tell if a car is truly "collectible". Assumptions can be made but only time will tell.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #34
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Sounds familiar

If trucks and SUVs are counted then I can see why GM would want to keep a limit on LS7s. Trucks/SUVs are their bread and butter.

Now if only they can sell more Volts
Throw in a Volt with the purchase of every V8 automobile?

Seriously though, we have to give thanks to my buddy who could have purchased an SS Camaro but given that he had just piled on some more student debt he opted for a Cruise because of cheaper up front and usage costs. So he's helping us out with that CAFE nonsense.

Wish I had the change to add a Z/28 to my garage. Just wasn't willing to give up my current car to get one. Collector's value or not, it will be a historic icon.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #35
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
When was an era when a modern car was collectible during in its modern on-the-market timespan? Being serious here, not trying to be an a$$.

In my experience, only time will tell if a car is truly "collectible". Assumptions can be made but only time will tell.
YUP

my thoughts exactly

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #36
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
If and when a 6Gen Z/28 is made it will affect the 5Gen's value. If better performing you'll see the 5Gen Z/28 lose value. If they only make a 6Gen Z28 (no slash) that will affect the 5Gen's positively.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #37
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I wouldn't expect much more over 2500, even with higher demand....How long did it take to build the first 500?....Maybe only so many can be built in a certain amount of time anyhow......And, it's a fifth-gen car....They're gonna have to end it at some point regardless of demand....
The oshawa plant is still making the last generation impala, because of fleet demand. police, taxis, etc. If there is demand, they will produce!

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #38
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:

was going to post this

I am 33. In the year 2045 i am supposed to retire (according to my 401k). I could see cars like the Cobra R, Ford GT, Z/28 etc going for a mint then. That is also 30 years down the road.

Other cars that might bring in some coin - Acura Integra Type Rs and Evos - the imports that everyone wanted in the early 2000s - because those were the affordable "race cars" people wanted.

One of my brother works for a hot rod shop - they used to specialize in the traditional "hot rods" (32 ford roadsters etc) but he said that is a dying market for them. The muscle cars are the indemand thing now.

I am sure we will get to a point where even those 60s and early 70s car will take a huge hit because people never could relate to them.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #39
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
was going to post this

I am 33. In the year 2045 i am supposed to retire (according to my 401k). I could see cars like the Cobra R, Ford GT, Z/28 etc going for a mint then. That is also 30 years down the road.

Other cars that might bring in some coin - Acura Integra Type Rs and Evos - the imports that everyone wanted in the early 2000s - because those were the affordable "race cars" people wanted.

One of my brother works for a hot rod shop - they used to specialize in the traditional "hot rods" (32 ford roadsters etc) but he said that is a dying market for them. The muscle cars are the indemand thing now.

I am sure we will get to a point where even those 60s and early 70s car will take a huge hit because people never could relate to them.
Well said, especially your last sentence.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #40
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:

i love the Volt. It is a fun car and tried getting the wife into one but she wants a 3rd kid sooooo it is out.

But did a quick math - $93 at $4/gal = 23.25 gal worth of gas. 7.8+23.25=31.05 total cost in gas.
3585miles/31.05 = 115.46mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or in terms of just fuel (say you have free electricity from solar power) 459.6mpg

It is a kick ass car in that respect
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #41
McRat

Quote:

Classics and antiques are almost always collectible (ie - escalate in value).

Not a lot of cars in the digital era are.

Example, they made 3/4 million of First Gen Camaros. 20 years later, nearly all models that were clean and original sold for more than original MSRP on the used market.

They made 7,000 ZR-1 Corvettes. That's 1% of the first gen Camaro numbers. Twenty years later, they sell for far under MSRP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...US_Cars_Trucks

People want the Classics because most collectors grew up in the muscle car era. Many still believe they were the pinnacle of American cars.

They really believe muscle cars ran 11 second ET's off the showroom floor, not the 15 sec ET's that were more common for the performance models.

They want the fantasy of the car they could not afford growing up, not the actual high maintenance, low durability, crappy handling, worthless brakes, low power, gas guzzlers that they really were. They are buying the looks and the memory of that era.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #42
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Classics and antiques are almost always collectible (ie - escalate in value).

Not a lot of cars in the digital era are.

Example, they made 3/4 million of First Gen Camaros. 20 years later, nearly all models that were clean and original sold for more than original MSRP on the used market.

They made 7,000 ZR-1 Corvettes. That's 1% of the first gen Camaro numbers. Twenty years later, they sell for far under MSRP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...US_Cars_Trucks

People want the Classics because most collectors grew up in the muscle car era. Many still believe they were the pinnacle of American cars.

They really believe muscle cars ran 11 second ET's off the showroom floor, not the 15 sec ET's that were more common for the performance models.

They want the fantasy of the car they could not afford growing up, not the actual high maintenance, low durability, crappy handling, worthless brakes, low power, gas guzzlers that they really were. They are buying the looks and the memory of that era.
Bought in Florida in 2000. One way ticket. Drove it home. 4sp car. Only car I ever made a profit on when I sold in 2006.
Attached Images

Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote