Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Rear diff

Wow, so I've been on the forum since before I ordered my '15 ZL1 researching and reading up on things. I did see a lot of people commenting about the rear end noise. So, when I picked mine up back at the end of may, I too noticed the whine noise during straight line accel/decel and it was most noticeable when you pushed in the clutch and removed all load off the drive train at about 45 mph +/- 10 or so. I told the salesman about it and he said not to worry too much and let's address it at the 1500 break-in service. I was like, ok, seen this on the forum and doesn't sound like a big deal.

Today I finally get the break-in complete, bring in for an oil change and ask them to check out the noise. The put me in a loaner as they said they needed time to investigate. I just got a call from them saying the rear end is completely shot and they are going to order a completely new rear diff. I'm not entirely sure he means the housing/pumpkin as much as I think the ring and pinion gears, but I'll be sure to get those details when I stop by later to pick up some of my items from the car.

I miss my car already and now I'm worried I'm gonna have to do another break-in for the new rear diff. UGH!!! At least they addressed the problem and didn't blow me off. Kudos to Rosner for good service.

Roto-fab and ARH headers are now on hold for at least another week.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Same thing happened with my 6.2l Silverado, new. They replaced the gears and it still whined. Turned out the housing was off spec. I bet that is why yours went and having them replace the whole unit is your best bet.

BTW. when I test drove it I made it 20 feet and told the salesman "hear that? Rear end is borked dude" he said they all sound like that. I said we could jump in any one of the dozens on your lot and are you sure they all sound like this. He changed his tune.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
winterboy8

I spoke to the tech and they said it's less risky and costly to try and fix so they want to change the entire assembly.

I asked him if the new rear needed a break in and he thought no, so I'm asking you guys if you think this is correct.

Thoughts?
Old 08-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
There was a thread a couple years ago and a machine shop guy made a very good case for break in. He basically said you will get metal shavings and clearing them out can't hurt. Especially since the ZL1 has a history of noise in the clutch packs which has been possibly attributed to excess lashing compound. I had to have the ZL1 TSB done twice to clear it. I also had the ring and pinion replaced because the backlash was off. The good thing is this rearend is bombproof. GM did over 800 hard launches on one to prove it.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Break it in at the road course under WOT that is my opinion. Change the fluid after you beat on it and if anything came loose you will flush it out. simple.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
There was a thread a couple years ago and a machine shop guy made a very good case for break in. He basically said you will get metal shavings and clearing them out can't hurt. Especially since the ZL1 has a history of noise in the clutch packs which has been possibly attributed to excess lashing compound. I had to have the ZL1 TSB done twice to clear it. I also had the ring and pinion replaced because the backlash was off. The good thing is this rearend is bombproof. GM did over 800 hard launches on one to prove it.
Define "lashing compound".
No such thing.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

I guess it is marking compound, some service techs called it lashing compound. Maybe their word for it.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
I guess it is marking compound, some service techs called it lashing compound. Maybe their word for it.
Actually the only place that the term "lashing compound" has ever been used is on Camaro5. Heresay from one guy getting "maybe" info from a tech at the dealer that didn't even get the name right. I don't buy it at all.

Basically comes down to a common problem with ALL limited slip diffs for decades that needs nothing more than a fluid change and maybe some limited slip additive to correct. Not a new problem at all.

The TSB calls for a couple of fluid changes just to make sure all the old stuff is gone. Never had anything to do with gear marking compound.

Rant mode off.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #9
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Does it really matter? It's the yellow sh!t on the ring and pinion. By the way did you read the TSB for the ZL1 only. And you are positive that lashing compound has never been used except on Camaro5? Lol. Because the hashing of a word is the most important thing in the world right now.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
Does it really matter? It's the yellow sh!t on the ring and pinion. By the way did you read the TSB for the ZL1 only. And you are positive that lashing compound has never been used except on Camaro5? Lol. Because the hashing of a word is the most important thing in the world right now.

Of course I've read it. No where is there a mention of gear marking compound.

BTW "valve lashing compound" is used to get the final seal on valve seats in the heads. Has nothing to do with the rear diff.

Show me any documentation of marking compound being the culprit in the ZL1.
There is none.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Cock fight.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
A quick Google search shows that on the internet it hasn't really been used anywhere except here...
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
JKPHX

Drives: Black '15 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Actually the only place that the term "lashing compound" has ever been used is on Camaro5. Heresay from one guy getting "maybe" info from a tech at the dealer that didn't even get the name right. I don't buy it at all.

Basically comes down to a common problem with ALL limited slip diffs for decades that needs nothing more than a fluid change and maybe some limited slip additive to correct. Not a new problem at all.

The TSB calls for a couple of fluid changes just to make sure all the old stuff is gone. Never had anything toh do with gear marking compound.

Rant mode off.
Anybody have have a copy of this tSB? I have a 2015 zl1 and my dealer cant seem to locate it. I don't have a loud rear different sound but should I replace the rear different fluid anyway (at 5k miles)?
JKPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
winterboy8

OK, so aside from using the yellow stuff while your examining where the gears mesh between the ring and pinion gears, did anyone have any thoughts on the new set that will be installed? i.e. does anyone think there will be any lengthy "required" break-in from GM on the part? I'm just quite over keeping this thing under 80 mph, which is the only part of the break-in I can think that would apply to the rear end gears.

Thanks guys.