Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
fredbo

Drives: black 2010 LS
do i need to rotate my rotors

my brakes done started squeaking and my service dude told me i needed to rotate my rotors also when i put the new pads on. Is this necessary and if so does anybody kno how to do it? preciate it in advance
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I had brake squeak in the first few hundred miles but went away after past 1000 miles.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbo View Post
my brakes done started squeaking and my service dude told me i needed to rotate my rotors also when i put the new pads on. Is this necessary and if so does anybody kno how to do it? preciate it in advance
Something must have been lost in the conversation. Any chance he said turn your rotors?

A few quick questions.

1. How many miles on your Camaro?
2. How many miles on your brakes?
3. Is it an SS?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
fredbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Something must have been lost in the conversation. Any chance he said turn your rotors?

A few quick questions.

1. How many miles on your Camaro?
2. How many miles on your brakes?
3. Is it an SS?
he might've said turn them
and i have 26,000 on my ls camaro
Old 01-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
JusticePete

Quote:
he might've said turn them
and i have 26,000 on my ls camaro
Turn them removes some stock from each rotor face making it smooth. Smooth rotors and new pads bed or mate to each other for smoothing operation.

The 5th Gen is a heavy car with a strong engine and stronger brakes. If you drive agressively I suggest new front rotors for optimal brake function. If you drive a bit more conservatively turning will work for you.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
fredbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Turn them removes some stock from each rotor face making it smooth. Smooth rotors and new pads bed or mate to each other for smoothing operation.

The 5th Gen is a heavy car with a strong engine and stronger brakes. If you drive agressively I suggest new front rotors for optimal brake function. If you drive a bit more conservatively turning will work for you.
thank for the info... but could you elaborate on how to turn them
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
thank for the info... but could you elaborate on how to turn them
I'm glad he steered you in the right direction.
Turning them is something a brake or machine shop does on a special lathe...

They chuck the rotor up, and cut both side at the same time. You may see them wrap a big weighted band around the rotor, that is a harmonics dampener, to reduce harmonic chattering when they are cutting them... It allows for a smoother finish. This will true, or straighten up the rotor if it is warped due to heat or excessive wear say for example if the brake pads wear down and allow the rivets to get into the rotor surface....

It's not a big deal, but I agree, the front rotors should be replaced if you are into heavy driving, hard on the brakes as in performance driving, if you casually drive it to work and never really hammer on the gas and brakes, and the rotors are still fairly true, then turning should be ok, but... I would never ever turn the front rotors more than one time...By this I mean, if you turn them now and put them back on, a year or two or three from now or whenever they give you problems again, do not turn them, replace them... It will take probably several passes with the brake lathe to true up both sides...They are only cutting thousandths of an inch off at a time... and a reputable brake shop will havee the numbers available for the minimum tolerances. It's usually imprinted on the rotor...This is the thinnest the rotor can be and still be useable...

Thats just me though... Front brakes are roughly 80% of your braking power....

Sorry if I went too far in this explanation, just wanted to make sure you understand the terms and have some information...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
fredbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

They chuck the rotor up, and cut both side at the same time. You may see them wrap a big weighted band around the rotor, that is a harmonics dampener, to reduce harmonic chattering when they are cutting them... It allows for a smoother finish. This will true, or straighten up the rotor if it is warped due to heat or excessive wear say for example if the brake pads wear down and allow the rivets to get into the rotor surface....

It's not a big deal, but I agree, the front rotors should be replaced if you are into heavy driving, hard on the brakes as in performance driving, if you casually drive it to work and never really hammer on the gas and brakes, and the rotors are still fairly true, then turning should be ok, but... I would never ever turn the front rotors more than one time...By this I mean, if you turn them now and put them back on, a year or two or three from now or whenever they give you problems again, do not turn them, replace them... It will take probably several passes with the brake lathe to true up both sides...They are only cutting thousandths of an inch off at a time... and a reputable brake shop will havee the numbers available for the minimum tolerances. It's usually imprinted on the rotor...This is the thinnest the rotor can be and still be useable...

Sorry if I went too far in this explanation, just wanted to make sure you understand the terms and have some information...
na the length is all good i really appreciate it
Old 01-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

Spot on!