Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #15
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Of course I would consider it. If it's a genuine back to back test.

But I'd be buying better coils long before buying a voltage booster like that.

But when I see 7/8sec cars pushing well beyond 1000hp on stock coils...some even making near double that.

It will take more convincing to see the value of such a product.
Hotter coils need more voltage than the stock electrical system can provide and typically don't work as well as stock coils for this reason.

Many industry leaders have known about this for many many years, this is not new info.

One of the reasons this exists http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-88867

Boost the voltage feeding the coil and you can substantially boost the output of the coil.

Burn more fuel make more power.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 11-16-2015 at 12:15 PM.
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
IGN-1A run off standard voltage and are hot enough for pretty much any LS engine ever. Only some minor wiring changes would be needed

You could of course boost the voltage to them too, but they're already proven around 2500-3000hp so should be adequate for those with less.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
Purely unscientific, but here goes.
As suggested, I bought the MSD coil pack plug and play and used that as well. I did not test this by itself!
So, I got the car running again today. I gapped the new plugs at .035 and after I corrected some minor problems, I noticed that I was getting spark blowout at 9-10 PSI.

I put on the MSD and Sparkmax things and just set the initial voltage to around 18 volts. I went for a blast and I can tell when I cross 5 PSI and the hotter spark kicks in. Now I can get to around 16 PSI, but still need to mess with voltages and ramp-in to see if it completely eliminates blowout at all levels of boost.

Should I get this all dialed in, it's easy to switch back to the stock setup. And with a little more effort, I could try the MSD by itself too. It would make for interesting dyno pulls to see if there truly is a difference or if I'm imagining it.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #18
stevieturbo

I've run 28psi boost on stock coils over 1/2 mile runs with zero ignition issues. ( Not even GM stock, the cheap ones you see on ebay claiming to be Delco/GM coils but come in plain boxes )

Not sure what's trying to be fixed here ?

And what do you mean by MSD coil pack ? LS engines use individual coils or do you mean you bought 8x MSD coils which most deem no better, and perhaps worse than factory coils ?
Old 11-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #19
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
MSD makes a harness for their coils. I think he is saying he used that to install it.

Same here, 1200+rwhp, stock coils, 40+ 1/2 mile runs, and 14k+ miles at 1000+rwhp with zero issues.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #20
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Sounds like the OP is fighting something else.

I never have plugs blowing out on our cars either. My own car ran consistant 5.2's in the 1/8th on stock coils and no dwell times change.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by granatl View Post
Purely unscientific, but here goes.
As suggested, I bought the MSD coil pack plug and play and used that as well. I did not test this by itself!
So, I got the car running again today. I gapped the new plugs at .035 and after I corrected some minor problems, I noticed that I was getting spark blowout at 9-10 PSI.

I put on the MSD and Sparkmax things and just set the initial voltage to around 18 volts. I went for a blast and I can tell when I cross 5 PSI and the hotter spark kicks in. Now I can get to around 16 PSI, but still need to mess with voltages and ramp-in to see if it completely eliminates blowout at all levels of boost.

Should I get this all dialed in, it's easy to switch back to the stock setup. And with a little more effort, I could try the MSD by itself too. It would make for interesting dyno pulls to see if there truly is a difference or if I'm imagining it.
Typical of what we have seen in isolated cases.

Now try opening the gap to 0.042

Let me say this gentlemen, all cars are not the same.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #22
granatl

Yes, I meant the MSD harness.
Opening the gap seems to have taken me from 19 MPG to 23.5 MPG (~e70).
On this car, it's a whole bunch of labor to change the bank 1 plugs, so I'll likely leave them at .035 until the next plug change is needed.
I do know it's hard to tell (for me) which is plug blowout and which is too rich. I'm watching the wideband and have started leaning out to .72 lambda (and will try as lean as .75).
The car seemed to like .66 lambda before I fixed the lifter issue and the leaner mixture is helping prevent misfires as well (duh).
Old 11-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #23
stevieturbo

0.66 is rich as **** ! At the low boost you're running even 0.75 is rich as ****.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #24
granatl

But that's (usually) e85. (I should lean the PE for gas a bit more).
It "seems" like the higher volume of e85 causes the turbo to spin faster, etc. I know I've read where other turbo-e85 users experience this too.
The good news is, even with that much fuel, I'm only like 35% inj duty cycle!