Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #281
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Fellow MRT v1.0 user!

I don't want to steal the thunder scrming, but I didn't know where else a testimonial should go! Heh.

Installed the MRT v1.0 Saturday morning. Took less than an hour. Had the car on my bro-in-laws dads lift at his shop. Made this entire process 100x easier. I thought I would be able to do this on jackstands or ramps!? Who knew? Finished everything up and a few things:

Installation Complexity: Really cut and dry. MRT's instructions were rather... perfect. Everything just flowed from start to finish. Driver side stock muffler gave us a smidge of a hard time, probably because the passenger side came off so easy. Heck, same for the install! Driver side didnt want to line up too well at first. Tip centering was off originally, but now both are closer to the inside lip of the diffuser. (No pics yet... weather is horrible in NJ atm :()

Looks: They look pretty cool, especially if you compare them to that... silly cold-turkey cut on the old suitcases' tips. You cant even see them from behind the car, unless you back up pretty far either. But they are pretty shiny, nonetheless, for now.

Weight: Mentioned a few times... stock cans are something like 24-25.5 lbs a piece. I scraped mine... never looked back. Things were soo ungodly heavy :O New ones? 6.86 lbs a piece. The weight savings alone... are pretty immense. Nearing 34 lbs in weight shaved off. This does come at a cost*.

Sound: This will be the most personal preferenced part here. City Driving was and currently is an absolute blast. I can honestly say this is the sound I wanted. Keeping in mind... over time she will lighten up a little though seasoning, as it was put, or carbon buildup. (just like, prolly, MOST exhausts, even my stock one) I thought it would sound more tinny?... but it really doesnt. Even up to 5-6k she really sounds nice. Bolder. Aggressive. No v8, but that wasnt what this was about. The stock exhaust just didnt have the sound that any sports car should have. Again.. I suppose IMHO... Highway Driving* I knew there would be a catch. I now 110% know what drone is. Roughly 1800-2500 rpms is where you get a very pronounced DRRRROOOOONNE. No way else to explain it. You get the sense that your receiving a subtle massage from your seat even. I know this has irritated alot of people and I can say that... I think it comes with the territory. I could be wrong.... again just IMHO... aggressiveness probably comes with that drone at a certain RPM. I am getting used to it, and im no mechanic but I think that its a design element? I could be entirely wrong, though, so dont hold me to it. Decel I thought id leave this to its own part as well. I have read tons of threads where people are extremely bothered by the decel pop/gurgle from the exhaust. I am one of a few who really think its cool? IIRC, doesnt that have something to do with how rich our 3.6Ls run? I really think its cool though... just overall every tone is absolutely better compared to stock.

I wanted an aggressive exhaust and I have sampled tons over the past 2 weeks! I thought the V2.0 didnt have the idle the V1.0 had... and that was a big part to me. I am absolutely thrilled with how it sounds at idle now. I dont just hear that constant 1-1.5 sec interval tick from the DI... I hear a machine that has been allowed to breathe a lot better. I am personally impressed.

I think that alot of this new-found enjoyment is due to my bias.... I have owned 8 or so cars. First one was a 1986 Caprice (dont recall if it was 305 or 350) with cherry bombs... which fell of and were then replaced with a single pipe flowmaster setup. :( I havent known what a nice idle... or cool sounding engine/exhaust has been for e very long time. =/ Thanks guys.
Cheers!
Jason

PS: The mod bug has bit... its game over now,
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #282
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
I don't want to steal the thunder scrming, but I didn't know where else a testimonial should go! Heh.

Installed the MRT v1.0 Saturday morning. Took less than an hour. Had the car on my bro-in-laws dads lift at his shop. Made this entire process 100x easier. I thought I would be able to do this on jackstands or ramps!? Who knew? Finished everything up and a few things:

Installation Complexity: Really cut and dry. MRT's instructions were rather... perfect. Everything just flowed from start to finish. Driver side stock muffler gave us a smidge of a hard time, probably because the passenger side came off so easy. Heck, same for the install! Driver side didnt want to line up too well at first. Tip centering was off originally, but now both are closer to the inside lip of the diffuser. (No pics yet... weather is horrible in NJ atm :()

Looks: They look pretty cool, especially if you compare them to that... silly cold-turkey cut on the old suitcases' tips. You cant even see them from behind the car, unless you back up pretty far either. But they are pretty shiny, nonetheless, for now.

Weight: Mentioned a few times... stock cans are something like 24-25.5 lbs a piece. I scraped mine... never looked back. Things were soo ungodly heavy :O New ones? 6.86 lbs a piece. The weight savings alone... are pretty immense. Nearing 34 lbs in weight shaved off. This does come at a cost*.

Sound: This will be the most personal preferenced part here. City Driving was and currently is an absolute blast. I can honestly say this is the sound I wanted. Keeping in mind... over time she will lighten up a little though seasoning, as it was put, or carbon buildup. (just like, prolly, MOST exhausts, even my stock one) I thought it would sound more tinny?... but it really doesnt. Even up to 5-6k she really sounds nice. Bolder. Aggressive. No v8, but that wasnt what this was about. The stock exhaust just didnt have the sound that any sports car should have. Again.. I suppose IMHO... Highway Driving* I knew there would be a catch. I now 110% know what drone is. Roughly 1800-2500 rpms is where you get a very pronounced DRRRROOOOONNE. No way else to explain it. You get the sense that your receiving a subtle massage from your seat even. I know this has irritated alot of people and I can say that... I think it comes with the territory. I could be wrong.... again just IMHO... aggressiveness probably comes with that drone at a certain RPM. I am getting used to it, and im no mechanic but I think that its a design element? I could be entirely wrong, though, so dont hold me to it. Decel I thought id leave this to its own part as well. I have read tons of threads where people are extremely bothered by the decel pop/gurgle from the exhaust. I am one of a few who really think its cool? IIRC, doesnt that have something to do with how rich our 3.6Ls run? I really think its cool though... just overall every tone is absolutely better compared to stock.

I wanted an aggressive exhaust and I have sampled tons over the past 2 weeks! I thought the V2.0 didnt have the idle the V1.0 had... and that was a big part to me. I am absolutely thrilled with how it sounds at idle now. I dont just hear that constant 1-1.5 sec interval tick from the DI... I hear a machine that has been allowed to breathe a lot better. I am personally impressed.

I think that alot of this new-found enjoyment is due to my bias.... I have owned 8 or so cars. First one was a 1986 Caprice (dont recall if it was 305 or 350) with cherry bombs... which fell of and were then replaced with a single pipe flowmaster setup. :( I havent known what a nice idle... or cool sounding engine/exhaust has been for e very long time. =/ Thanks guys.
Cheers!
Jason

PS: The mod bug has bit... its game over now,
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #283
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Ok.. so I went down to my favorite shop and we did a little whacking on the exhaust today...

Cut out the mufflers...

Put them on the scale... they weigh 24 pounds a piece!!!

We replaced them with a set of AeroTurbine AR25 Resonators:

Here is some very quickly shot and unedited video:

Solid take off..

Here's drive through the neighborhood:

Highway Ramps:

very poor track video:

In cabin video:

Ok... sounds good on start-up and has a really nice idle! At WOT it does thin out and get a bit raspy... but not terrible... Actually to me it sounded pretty good... Found that using the paddle shifters I can keep the sound in the sweet spot so to speak!

On the highway cruising along at 70 and no load the exhaust was still fairly quiet... No issue on the 90 minute ride home! Oh, and on the way home... once I got on the highway I set the cruise for 70MPH and then reset the trip computer... for the 60+ miles I was on the highway I averaged 31.4 MPG!!! At 70 MPH!!! I was amazed at the improvement! Normally at 70 my number were more in the 25 to 26 range....

Car also looks a LOT better! LOL!

First thing in the morning the car goes on the dyno to see if anything has changed....

And then it's off to the track!!!

Will post more info as soon as I can!

UPDATE!!!

MRT is going to price this kit at $499. Based on me looking around that seems very competitive with other similar axle backs with resonators/mufflers. The MRT axle back will be 304-T stainless steel including the hangers. Each side gets TWO hangers, like the stock muffler. This provides extra stability and easier centering.

MRT is now taking orders!!! Scott is also going to offer an introductory price of $429. For more information or to order yours you can call Kim at 734-455-5807.

Your won't fish tail and spin the tires at take off?
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #284
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Just got my v1.0 installed and... Holy loudness batman! Sounds so sweet, whatever drone people complain of must be the sound I'm loving!

Great work!
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote