Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
AdamCzap

Drives: 18 zl1, 17 sierra denali
question about LT header codes--

Just installed my 1 3/4" Kooks long tubes last weekend and I'm getting the check engine light now. I'm assuming it's for the O2 sensors.

But my question is this: does it even matter? I know I need to get the light turned off, but is the O2 code actually affecting performance? Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find the answer after several searches.
AdamCzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
You are fine... it's just a light only. However if something else goes wrong you won't have a warning light available...

Get a handheld like Diablo to read and clear codes... of course your O2 codes will keep coming back.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
dwebster
DW's 2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS LS3-CAI/LG-Corsa
Does the tune that most shops do just turn the light off, or is there an actual issue that needs to be addressed (air fuel timing,etc)??
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwebster View Post
Does the tune that most shops do just turn the light off, or is there an actual issue that needs to be addressed (air fuel timing,etc)??
That's my question also.. because they check here every 3 years by checking the ECM for codes .. The O2 should also not read "not Complete" either .. they have to see a clean "pass" test .. Will a tune make it pass a computer check test to our ECM ??
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Wileytrigger21

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT / RS, Blk 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
That's my question also.. because they check here every 3 years by checking the ECM for codes .. The O2 should also not read "not Complete" either .. they have to see a clean "pass" test .. Will a tune make it pass a computer check test to our ECM ??
Wileytrigger21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCzap View Post
Just installed my 1 3/4" Kooks long tubes last weekend and I'm getting the check engine light now. I'm assuming it's for the O2 sensors.

But my question is this: does it even matter? I know I need to get the light turned off, but is the O2 code actually affecting performance? Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find the answer after several searches.
Buy a Tuner, Get a Tune for Free to turn off your codes.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67009
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

To get the most out of your headers it's best to get your fuel trims dialed in by a tuner. The stock tune is very rich and safe but you will gain some nice horses by getting a full tune.

My headers go on next week and I'm going to just have them turn off the light for O2. Then I'm going to drive a while and since I have a Trinity will run some log files and send off to Jannetty to have a custom tune done.

Bottom line if you want to save money they can just turn the O2 code off for you.

Edit: I see Mr. Jannetty beat me by a couple minutes.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
You'll need to know the codes to be sure. If it is just the cat efficiency codes from the rear O2 sensors, then no it does not affect performance.

The cats are just not as efficient on a cold start when they are that far away from the heads w/ LTs. So it will trigger those codes. Some tunes will turn off those rear O2 codes to prevent the light from coming on.

Another trick that may or may not work is to space the rear O2's out of the exhaust stream Do some internet googling for "spark plug foulers tricking O2 sensors". You stack 2 plug foulers in there and that spaces the O2 sensor away from the exhaust stream. It will then have no idea the cats are not as effiecient as suppose to be. Maybe. Some say this may or may not work. But something cheap to try if you didn't want to get into tuning right now.

First thing I would do though is stop at a parts store and ask them to scan the codes.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
To get the most out of your headers it's best to get your fuel trims dialed in by a tuner. The stock tune is very rich and safe but you will gain some nice horses by getting a full tune.

My headers go on next week and I'm going to just have them turn off the light for O2. Then I'm going to drive a while and since I have a Trinity will run some log files and send off to Jannetty to have a custom tune done.

Bottom line if you want to save money they can just turn the O2 code off for you.

Edit: I see Mr. Jannetty beat me by a couple minutes.
I just sent him my original back up file, thats all he needed with a list of mods. He told me he has done enough 2010's you don't even need to do a log. He had my tune e-mailed back the next day... He even hooked me up on the price because I bought the Diablo from him.. Can't get any easier.. Two to Jannetty Racing
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
I just sent him my original back up file, thats all he needed with a list of mods. He told me he has done enough 2010's you don't even need to do a log. He had my tune e-mailed back the next day... He even hooked me up on the price because I bought the Diablo from him.. Can't get any easier.. Two to Jannetty Racing
That's why I went with Ted on mine too...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
AdamCzap

Drives: 18 zl1, 17 sierra denali
balls yeah!
AdamCzap is offline   Reply With Quote