Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
true dual requires reworking part of the rear suspension. GMMG for the WIN!

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
I love my SLP, but I'd change it out for GMMG in a heartbeat if the right deal came along...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
LS1-Z28

Drives: 2001 NBM Camaro SS #612
Quote:
Not if you dump it??...
LS1-Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1-Z28 View Post
Not if you dump it??...
...So you're gonna dump it before the axle?

You can kiss the Sweet Thunder goodbye, since there isn't much room down there to even shove anything more than a true dual kit without forcing the car to bottom out on a speed bump.

Oh, and did they ever mention how much weight a true dual system adds to the car should you choose to race it? When all is said and done the thing will weigh as much as a 5th gen and not be any faster (than a 5th gen).
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #19
LS1-Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
...So you're gonna dump it before the axle?

You can kiss the Sweet Thunder goodbye, since there isn't much room down there to even shove anything more than a true dual kit without forcing the car to bottom out on a speed bump.

Oh, and did they ever mention how much weight a true dual system adds to the car should you choose to race it? When all is said and done the thing will weigh as much as a 5th gen and not be any faster (than a 5th gen).
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-373-tex...true-dual.aspx

This looks like it's dumped to me?? With Sweet Thunder Mufflers.... I've read that most don't have to worry about the clearance, some say it's good and some say bad... So idk.. And I'm not worried about racing right now(can't even legally drive by myself) I'm not looking to be faster than a 5th gen..

Once I actually get things done to it, to make it worthy for the track then I will race it...

I was thinking it over today.. I might try an ORY first.. And see how I like the sound...

Thanks for the info Zabo!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

No problem, took the liberty of snapping pics to see just how much 'room' there is with just a stocker exhaust in place. Not much..

Stock Y Pipe..

This was an almost impossible shot to get: Muffler inlet, Axle 'over bend', Right side outlet'

Wider shot of the rear axle trying to show everything stuffed in

IMO, Pacesetters LTs, No Cat (Took me until recently to finally come to grips with running no cats), Texas Speed Y pipe, and SLP LM with a custom 'expansion chamber' aka 'LM1 Muffler'. Well, that or a GMMG in place of the SLP LM.

Cheap and it has a good sound. Though if you can pony up for some ORY, by all means do so. Dunno your budget so
Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
LS1-Z28

Thanks for the pics. Yeah I was originally going to go with Pacesetter Headers TSP ORY and LM1 once I had the money to change exhausts. I have Magnaflow on it right now, so that's why I'm asking if there is a Y-pipe that fits to the stock manifolds. If I can find one I may just do that for now lol..

And my Dad told me I really need to run cats, said I will get a fuely smeel to it, which I've heard, but is it that bad??

I still gotta find a picture to what I wanna do with my front grille, I got a really go idea!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #22
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. Yeah I was originally going to go with Pacesetter Headers TSP ORY and LM1 once I had the money to change exhausts. I have Magnaflow on it right now, so that's why I'm asking if there is a Y-pipe that fits to the stock manifolds. If I can find one I may just do that for now lol..

And my Dad told me I really need to run cats, said I will get a fuely smeel to it, which I've heard, but is it that bad??

I still gotta find a picture to what I wanna do with my front grille, I got a really go idea!
On perf. cars, I hardly notice it.

If you wanted you could run Race/High Flow Cats but in any case it won't pass emission tests without the stock bottles on so it's sorta moot. Also if you look closely on the left side of the Y pipe pic you'll see a flattened portion of the pipe; done so it maintains a set ground clearance and meets with the cat. Long design-to-meet-emissions story with that one.

Most aftermarket Y pipes will correct this and there are some out there that will mate right up to the stock Cats. I'd do so because the gains GM were attempting are negligible, a 3 inch diameter pipe will fit fine.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #23
LS1-Z28

Quote:
On perf. cars, I hardly notice it.

If you wanted you could run Race/High Flow Cats but in any case it won't pass emission tests without the stock bottles on so it's sorta moot. Also if you look closely on the left side of the Y pipe pic you'll see a flattened portion of the pipe; done so it maintains a set ground clearance and meets with the cat. Long design-to-meet-emissions story with that one.

Most aftermarket Y pipes will correct this and there are some out there that will mate right up to the stock Cats. I'd do so because the gains GM were attempting are negligible, a 3 inch diameter pipe will fit fine.
Yeah I noticed that on mine where it is flattened. I'm not paying $3-400 for cats lol. I'm just gonna run none. I'll probably need to get a tune huh? I don't have to worry about emissions down here haha

Alright. But the TSP says it only fits their headers or Pacesetter. Is there a way to hook it up to the stock manifolds? Cause I don't want to buy one then throw it out for another one...
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #24
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Yeah I noticed that on mine where it is flattened. I'm not paying $3-400 for cats lol. I'm just gonna run none. I'll probably need to get a tune huh? I don't have to worry about emissions down here haha

Alright. But the TSP says it only fits their headers or Pacesetter. Is there a way to hook it up to the stock manifolds? Cause I don't want to buy one then throw it out for another one...
Depends on which one you were looking at, the ORY or the Catted Y pipe that they make. Neither are going to mate, but I swear I've seen some that do (mostly for sound and not perf. add ons). Though that latter one I'm not sure mates up with Pacesetter LT or Shortie headers (though eyeballing makes it appear to match the dimensions of the OR version meaning LTs with cats).

But if you wanted 'em.. guess you gotta cough up something like 200 and change over the Off road version. Granted to tune for a Catted Y pipe or high flows seems easier and probably cheaper by recalibrating less stuff through the ECU/PCM using captain obvious logic.

However I've got about as much to learn on the subject so as I research I'm tossing this stuff your way to help. Been tossing it around really ever since I decided to pull my stocker after seeing that flattened section and going 'the f'k?' when changing the oil on the bird for the first time.

Then seeing the entire gobbledy gook mess that is a 4th gen exhaust and researching the rationale for it.

Needless to say, could be worse.

Oh, and the TS Dual systems are dumped. Think they dump just forward of the axle under the rear seat pans. Thing is that would put a 3" pipe even more in line with smacking a bump rather than being tucked up in the trans tunnel with the torque arm and driveshaft.

Ya learn quickly that ground clearance is a bitch when going with suspension and exhaust mods. The low, corvette like stance is a blessing and a hindrance. Hell my stock suspension even puts my car at odds with my driveway curb on a daily basis. Nosedives/assdives every time. Though the former is much worse and my suspension is perfectly fine for 11 years old.

Price to be paid, but no use crying over factory spilled milk.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #25
LS1-Z28

Quote:
Depends on which one you were looking at, the ORY or the Catted Y pipe that they make. Neither are going to mate, but I swear I've seen some that do (mostly for sound and not perf. add ons). Though that latter one I'm not sure mates up with Pacesetter LT or Shortie headers (though eyeballing makes it appear to match the dimensions of the OR version meaning LTs with cats).

But if you wanted 'em.. guess you gotta cough up something like 200 and change over the Off road version. Granted to tune for a Catted Y pipe or high flows seems easier and probably cheaper by recalibrating less stuff through the ECU/PCM using captain obvious logic.

However I've got about as much to learn on the subject so as I research I'm tossing this stuff your way to help. Been tossing it around really ever since I decided to pull my stocker after seeing that flattened section and going 'the f'k?' when changing the oil on the bird for the first time.

Then seeing the entire gobbledy gook mess that is a 4th gen exhaust and researching the rationale for it.

Needless to say, could be worse.

Oh, and the TS Dual systems are dumped. Think they dump just forward of the axle under the rear seat pans. Thing is that would put a 3" pipe even more in line with smacking a bump rather than being tucked up in the trans tunnel with the torque arm and driveshaft.

Ya learn quickly that ground clearance is a bitch when going with suspension and exhaust mods. The low, corvette like stance is a blessing and a hindrance. Hell my stock suspension even puts my car at odds with my driveway curb on a daily basis. Nosedives/assdives every time. Though the former is much worse and my suspension is perfectly fine for 11 years old.

Price to be paid, but no use crying over factory spilled milk.

Yeah I think once I get the money I am going to just do the Pacesetter Headers and TSP ORY. Then change exhausts later down the road if I don't like the sound with the Magnaflows... And going out of my driveway, i have to go almost at an angle to not scrape.. And I'm at stock height. I'm going to order BMR Lowering Springs on before the end of the summer so hopefully it doesn't kill me haha. The back is no problem.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
waiting on mods...slacker

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #27
LS1-Z28

Quote:
waiting on mods...slacker

haha. I gotta get a job first before I start any. I hope to have my headers done before the end of this summer, I have most of the money already...
Old 07-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #28
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
Quote:

haha. I gotta get a job first before I start any. I hope to have my headers done before the end of this summer, I have most of the money already...
Welll HUUUURRRRRYYYY!!!!!

2001 SS Lid, LT's, 3" Y to 4" Borla XR-1 dumped, LCA, LCA Brackets, Dbl. Adj. Panhard, Subframe Connectors, Shock Tower Brace, Eibach Prokit, Eddlebrock Shocks, C6 ZR1 Wheels 18x9.5
Bulldogwinters is offline   Reply With Quote