Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2011 Camaro 2LT RS - New Engine ALREADY!

Guys -

Need some quick advice on my situation. I haven't been through this before and I don't know what options I have.

The issue started around 12k miles (purcahsed brand new btw).. My #3 rod went out causing some major issues. I had it towed and that week they replaced the crankshaft. Didnt have much issue since but I was noticing that the car was hesitating to start at times as if it had a bad battery but the battery was tested fine and sometimes a metallic noise at start.

@ around 20k miles last week, i pulled into a parking lot and started hearing a knocking noise which increased with RPM. I had it towed to the dealership and now the issue is that the crank wasnt getting the proper lube for the bearings. I dont know much about cars but they got approval from GM to replace the entire engine.

Is this something I should accept from GM. For me, I purchased this car brand new under the impression it is free of defects. I know that is never guaranteed but you never expect anything major like this so early. Family and friends are suggesting to request a new car and mainly because the car will lose value and most likely this will get recorded on car fax. I dont keep cars long so I definitely don't want this to affect the value.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks ahead of time!
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
My relative had a Mercury villager that needed a new engine as the block was cracked.
Its happens, although if you do not keep your cars maybe you could work something out
at the dealership in getting you another car or credit toward any depreciation.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Ask for credit towards an SS!
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehead2000 View Post
Ask for credit towards an SS!

I wish it were that easy. I regret getting a V6 to begin with
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
The new motor won't show up on Carfax, it is a repair not an accident. There was an issue with the original motor that was allowing the crank to recieve insufficient lube. Replacing the crank did not repair the cause of the problem, just the result. The problem could have been a bad casting or oil pump issue or....whatever. The new motor will insure that the problem is gone, and you should expect many miles of happy motoring.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
J666

Drives: Camaro
They're giving you a brand new engine to fix the problem, and you're pissed off? Would you rather have them tear your engine apart and repair it? Shit happens, you got a new engine.
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J666 View Post
They're giving you a brand new engine to fix the problem, and you're pissed off? Would you rather have them tear your engine apart and repair it? Shit happens, you got a new engine.
Not pissed off but definitely in experienced when it comes to getting a new engine in a car that shouldn't have had the issue in the first place hence why I am here asking for others opinions.

When you pay 30K+ for a vehicle, you have higher expectations.

My main concern's were the value of the vehicle after a new engine replacement.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
The new motor won't show up on Carfax, it is a repair not an accident. There was an issue with the original motor that was allowing the crank to recieve insufficient lube. Replacing the crank did not repair the cause of the problem, just the result. The problem could have been a bad casting or oil pump issue or....whatever. The new motor will insure that the problem is gone, and you should expect many miles of happy motoring.
I'm not so sure about that. When you take your car to the dealer for an oil change, it shows up on Carfax. Same with a few other regular maintenance items. When the next buyer sees that the car was in for a repair, they are entitled to ask why, then the whole thing is revealed.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
fast34me

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
You are never adding value by repairing or doing "rework". You have compromised the integrity of an item, and are preserving residual value.
fast34me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Take the motor, and after the break in period (drive it hard IMHO) ONLY use full synthetic and check oil level often to guage the consumbtion.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
trnsxck

Drives: flintstone mobile
It should not happen plain and simple. BUT its under warranty and it will be a new engine so .....

You should be upset about it yes. Does it ruin the value of the car..? .. No, not at all... car faxes are usless gimmicks anyway... they only show whats been reported and lots of stuff goes un-reported

Drive it and be happy you didnt void your warranty with a mod or two and have to foot the bill yourself.

Those are the dangers that no one especially vendors never bring up on this site. The car is mass produced.. there are going to be some defectives.
But this site makes money for people like they all do and no one likes to talk about the real dangers or truths.. no money in that...LOL
trnsxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
porkrind
Unapologetically American

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
I have a 2011 2LT CGM...at mile 221, the car went to the dealership for an odd sound and vibration I was hearing/feeling during deceleration or hard acceleration. I believe the diagnosis was the same as yours, but they replaced the engine right out. I now have 17,000+ miles on it with no issues...take the new engine.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkrind View Post
I have a 2011 2LT CGM...at mile 221, the car went to the dealership for an odd sound and vibration I was hearing/feeling during deceleration or hard acceleration. I believe the diagnosis was the same as yours, but they replaced the engine right out. I now have 17,000+ miles on it with no issues...take the new engine.
Sounds good.. i am picking it up today from the dealer. Hopefully no more issues. I am glad its a new engine rather than getting parts fixed like the first time.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I would be happy with a new motor. Just think, you'll be back a 0 miles. At least with the motor. I would say they didn't fix it right the first time around with caused the second problem. Be glad with a new motor. It won't affect the value of the car one bit.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote