Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
kunkelz28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Mean cops suck

I was taking my GTO up to the gas station a 1/2 mile from my house when a cop pulls me over, my new tabs for the car were in the glove box because i forgot to put them on the car, cop gives me $113 ticket. What happened to protecting and serving????????? the cop should have nicely asked me to put them on my car and let me go on my way. ( good thing I had the windows rolled down they are tinted way too dark ) Some cops are just prics on power trips..... sorry i needed to vent, and yes I know there are some nice police officers too, I just haven't met them yet
kunkelz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Would have been pretty easy to stick the tabs on instead of putting them in the glove box.

A warning could have been given but you never know how many of those warnings he's allready given and may be tired of giving them.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
New2010CamaroLover

Drives: 2015 Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Yeah that sucks... Considering the economic times we are all experiencing it'd be nice to let such a simple detail slid and stick to writing tickets for those that are ignorant and dangerous to others on the road.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
boatingbent

Drives: 69 Pontiac Firebird
$113 seams a little High for something like that
boatingbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2010CamaroLover View Post
Yeah that sucks... Considering the economic times we are all experiencing it'd be nice to let such a simple detail slid and stick to writing tickets for those that are ignorant and dangerous to others on the road.
This is probably the underriding reason the ticket was written.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkelz28 View Post
I was taking my GTO up to the gas station a 1/2 mile from my house when a cop pulls me over, my new tabs for the car were in the glove box because i forgot to put them on the car, cop gives me $113 ticket. What happened to protecting and serving????????? the cop should have nicely asked me to put them on my car and let me go on my way. ( good thing I had the windows rolled down they are tinted way too dark ) Some cops are just prics on power trips..... sorry i needed to vent, and yes I know there are some nice police officers too, I just haven't met them yet
When did you get the new ones? If they expired in March, you have until the 31st to put them on.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Not quite. They expire on the owner's birthday. So if you had them on, and they expired 2 days ago..they can ticket.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
ddennis

Drives: 1978 Z28, 2003 & 2007 Z71,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Not quite. They expire on the owner's birthday. So if you had them on, and they expired 2 days ago..they can ticket.
What???????????
What do car license plates expiring have to do with a persons birth date??
ddennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis View Post
What???????????
What do car license plates expiring have to do with a persons birth date??
in some areas they expire on birthday not just the date of the last registration. but what I DON'T understand is you have to turn in your old plates to the DMV before they give you updated ones. unless you get the new ones 1st THEN turn them in or mail them in. when i moved to NY the DMV in Florida was notified that I changed my registration to NY and they wanted me to mail them back my Florida tags at my expense. Those tags are on my garage wall since 2001 .
Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
all cops suck? is that harsh? i dont think so.....
Z/28orSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
all cops suck? is that harsh? i dont think so.....
i don't think that's a good idea to be saying on this forum
Old 03-31-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
Toomanybugs

Drives: 2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Cities are experiencing budget shortfalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
This is probably the underriding reason the ticket was written.
Considering the economic times we are all experiencing, including cities that have budget issues this is going to be more and more common.

I live on a street that comes out on a street within a school zone. Every morning, I come to the end of my street (a one way street) there are 2 motorcycle cops getting everyone for speeding in a school zone.
Toomanybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 AM   #13
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Different states have different rules. Some tabs expire at the end of the month, others on a specific date.
The cop gave you the ticket for not having the tabs on, there's no way to know how often he's heard excuses, or pulled people over for the same thing. I have also heard of people playing fast and loose and getting tabs for one vehicle and putting them on another. Maybe, the cop was strict because he's seen people doing similar stuff.
Now that you have the ticket, you still have a chance on not paying. You could always go to court with documentation showing you already had the tabs and they might reduce or drop the fine.
Either way, good luck, and make sure you put the tabs on as soon as you get them from now on.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09'Z28 View Post
i don't think that's a good idea to be saying on this forum
Heed this members advice....seeing as though one of those "cops" is a moderator on this forum....

OP, I don't know what you mean by "tabs," but figure it has something to so with registration. Put the "tabs" on and take a pic. Go into court before your court date and see if the prosecutor will drop the ticket. Explain your situation and have PROOF that you corrected the violation. They are usually good about cutting slack if problems are fixed.

On another note, just because there are hard economic times right now does NOT mean that we go writing more tickets than normal. Some small municipalities might do that, but not large cities....at least not SA. No one dictates how many tickets we write. I prefer warnings myself. However, if the driver fails to see their violation and fails to understand why they got pulled over...and they want to arguej and argue and argue...I'd be more than happy to scrap the warning and write the ticket so they can argue with me in front of a judge all day long while in court.

Just to clarify...not all cops are pricks. Have the wrong attitude and I'll guarantee you.....that officer will find as many tickets as he can...and believe me...it's easy to find infractions. Many people don't know all the laws. They don't know they can get cited for simple stuff like that thing hanging from the rear view mirror. We do this all day...every day... This is our job (to know the laws).

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote