Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
i3litzkrieg

Drives: custom camaro 95 3.4 v6 300hp
Do you think the camaro will have HUD (head-up display) as a standard feature???

i have seen a lot of cars using HUDs since 2007 year begun ....... it is probably that for 2009 it would be a standard feature for the new maro???
Old 10-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
maybe not standard...but I could see an option, definitely.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
This question was asked a while back...and not on the forums. An answer was given that it could be an option for a top end model. Nothing finite here...just that the technology was there, it is feasible, and could be an option (I'm sure for a pretty penny, though).

Let's not forget that we have another 1 1/2 years to go...approximately. There's A LOT that can happen between now and then...HUD and otherwise. I'd love to have HUD in my Camaro, but cost for the option would have to be worth it. I wouldn't pay $800 simply for a HUD unit. $250?...sure. Most likely, GM would offer it in a package deal...(gotta get the sunroof, sound system, racing package to get the HUD...and that's going to cost $4,000). I wish we could order one thing out of a "package deal" so we wouldn't have to spend big bucks for one option.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Just the other day I talked with someone that has a new GMC Acadia with HUD, she loves it saying that you never have to take your eyes off the road to check on something.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I definately see it as a possibility. The tech is a few years old so they only have to make minor modifications to an existing system. Secondly, the car was to have taken some design cues from the F-22 fighter (which comes with HUD standard, lol). I think it might be optional on lower models, and potentially standard on the top end one. It would be really cool if it came with a gun sight, activated by imports, mustangs, and challengers
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

you mean the gauge cluster on the "floor"?:( I like those......
Old 10-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It would be really cool if it came with a gun sight, activated by imports, mustangs, and challengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
you mean the gauge cluster on the "floor"?:( I like those......
Old 10-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
It will be optional.

It may actually be bundled into a package with those gimmicky, worthless, console gauges.
I also happen to like the console gauges and I certainly don't see them as "gimmicky, worthless", they should be oil pressure, water temp, alternator, and fuel, not exactly gauges I need to see every single minute I'm in the car. And if we end up with a HUD, the console gauges will be redundant at worst, but a good back up in case of HUD failure. The only two gauges I'm concerned with seeing easily all the time are tach and speedo.
Clyde
Old 10-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
I hope so especially if they put the gauges in teh center console like they did in the concept.

Would love to see the HUD as an option.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
HUD "standard" - I doubt it.
HUD as part of a "performance pkg." - possibly.

Center console gauges - I hope they make production. I think they'd be a "cool touch" paying homage to the 1st Gen. Camaro.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

To each his own, I guess. Either way - I can see them as an option...
But I wonder how they'd put them up with the other guages without looking tacky...
Old 10-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Leave'em in the center. If you have to look at your alternator, temp, and voltage gauges that often, then a display would be nice up front. But, this can be taken care of by adding a *low* signal for each issue...alt, battery, gas, etc.

If you have continous problems w/ your battery voltage/alternator, low oil pressure, engine temp, etc, then yeah....the gauges in the center will take your eyes off the road a lot. But, these are going to be all new cars with parts that will last many years to come. I doubt you will have to look down for anything but the gas gauge.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
Well, the console gauges wouldn't be redundant, since I'd imagine the info the HUD would give you, would be along the lines of speed, rpm's, and perhaps a g-meter.

As an aside, I continuously scan my oil pressure, water temp, alternator and fuel gauges. Putting those gauges off the IP and 30" deep down into the cockpit, takes your eyes off the road for a couple of seconds - more if you're over 40 - EVEN more if your over 50. That's is of course, if you can even read them at all at speed.

Yup, I'd call them gimmicky and worthless...
If I had a new vehicle that I had to watch oil pressure, temp, alternator, and fuel that closely, I'd sell the damn thing in a heart beat. Any vehicle that I've ever had to monitor that closely already needed serious repairs or was ready for the scrap heap. Nope, I would not call them gimmicky and worthless. The Acadia owner I talked to mentioned that even outside air temp was on the heads up, so I think oil pressure, etc. would be easy enough to include.
Clyde
Old 10-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Regarding the gauges located in the center console;

I was able to see, in person, both Concepts, the silver coupe and the orange 'vert, and all I heard when the subject was asked was that those who saw them liked them, and the vast majority wanted to see them make production.

I do not see them as "gimmicky" or "worthless" at all. It seems everyone is pleased with how the Concept pays homage to the '69 Camaro...this is one of the details that helps make that happen.

Personally I think they're a nice touch.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote