Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2SSRS View Post
This is how we think different... you think "OMG $100 for that? I will just make my own!" which is 100% fine...

on the other hand... I think...

"OMG, ONLY $100!! That will save me time and money of trying to make my own and f'ing it up 3 or 4 times before finally spending the $100 anyway!"

If you didn't already have one on the way, I'd say send me $75 and I'll make one for you, but maybe next time, eh?

I haven't seen a tunnel brace yet that I would pay the asking price for. Under hard driving a flat piece of metal will still allow deflection. I don't think this is an extremely high flex area, but when I make mine it will be a little more "substantial"...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
It looks like a well engineered piece. But the price is out of line IMO. Drop the price to $50 and they'd sell 3X more, drop it to $30 and sales increase 10X. I presume it's a cast aluminium plate, so I'd put the production cost at $10 if made here in the US. China, the production would be $3/ea with another $0.50/ea for shipping and import fees.

I appreciate the comments and wish it was that simple. But the reality is, the cost to manufacture something like this in limited quantities adds up. Our Tunnel Brace is not cast aluminum, it's machined from a solid piece of aluminum bar stock, anodized for corrosion resistance and shipped at our cost. As always, our goal is to provide very well engineered parts with top notch quality at a reasonable price. With that said, we are always willing to discuss the possibility of a limited time discounted price to the Camaro5 members.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
You're actually machining each one? Nice! I suppose the tooling investment to create a mold/die is difficult to justify until demand is gaged.
Yes and we have always been proud to keep all our manufacturing and machining in-house.....made in the USA!

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote