Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
5thGenAnyone?
I'm thirsty

Drives: 1 speed bike
Chicago Auto Show(PICS Coming Soon)

First of all I will start off with saying what everybody else seems to say right away ( since it couldn't be more true ) that this car NEEDS to be seen by you in person! If you haven't got out to a show yet, please PLEASE do yourself a huge favor and do so if possible!

The camaro wins the battle by a long shot in the pony war. The mustang is just a big boxy rectangular ugh! It looks like a damn 2-D drawing inmo and the challenger just simply has no lines. I do love the challenger's rear end though how the lights go all the way across the back.

A few things I noticed about the camaro:

1. This car is a lot smaller than it looks in pics. It really is a very sporty vehicle still with that perfect balence of muscle feel.
2. The Midnight silver wheels look absolutely amazing! Even with that darker mysterious finish they still have a very nice smooth gloss to them. Anyone trying to decide on whether or not to change to the polished wheels with the RS package should really stick to the MS wheels. You will not be dissapointed. One of my favorite things seeing in person today.
3. Unlike earlier gen camaros the doors felt rather light when closing and opening. I know my 4th gen felt like a level 5 earthquake when I closed the darn thing.
4. The shifter felt very smooth just popping right into each gear. Not to loose and not too hard. Also very comfortable putting it in reverse.

Interior:
Pros:
- 4 pack cluster really adds to the interior
- Everything on deck easily accessible and simple to use
- Very comfortable seats. Soft on the butt and lower back and a little more ridged on the thighs to keep you in place
- Great feel of steering wheel. No problem getting a good firm grip in any hand placement
- Plenty of room for your hand between the seat and door when closed to use the seat adjustment controls

Cons:
- If no 4 pack cluster, looks way too plain and boring with just the storage compartment which really isn't going to hold anything in anyway IMO
- Numbering and tick marks on gauges looks "cheap". Almost as if painted on with a white out pen
- As i've seen before, dash on passenger side very blah and plain. Nothing going on over there. A simple ingravement of "Chevrolet" or "Camaro" could fix this

Exterior:
Pros:
- HIDs and Halos "make" this front fascia IMO. A must have
- Paint looks gorgeous. The camaro's lines really bring out any one of these ten colors. Perfect amount of flake in metallic color paint jobs
- The best rear end I have seen on a car in a long time. So aggressive looking like the car is ready to take off at any moment

Cons:
- Please, Please, Please put a clear coat over the stripes. I saw 4!!! spots where it was peeling already! Can't imagine all of these were from people picking at it. Other than that, stripes looked good.

All in all this was a very good experience for me. The camaro looks so so good in person and I can't wait to have my IOM 2SS/RS sitting in my driveway. On an ABL note, I was told by a GM rep today that it will only be in the door panels, not the dash because of a spacing and heating issue. He seemed very sure about his response to my questions and did not hesitate. He also stated that they are Not settling with this and are still working on it to be around the whole dash.
Scotty!!!! Where in the heck were you today!!! I was beginning to think that you have adapted to the style of the camaro and actually camoflagued yourself into it. I couldn't find you anywhere. My phone died just as I got to the convention center so I couldn't give you a call. I was reconing you all day lol. I was suprised I didn't see you since I was by the camaros the better part of the 7 hrs I was there! You stealthy son of a gun.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics
Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
New2010CamaroLover

Drives: 2015 Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Awesome break down 5thgen... Thanks for the info! So you like the MS wheels huh? Do you think it matters what paint job you get for the MS to look good? The reason i ask is cuz i ordered a black 2SS/RS but was sceptical that they weren't bright enough cuz i'll have the windows limo tinted the day i get the car and was worried everything will look too dark....
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

^In my opinion you have a legitimate worry there. I think the midnight silver wheels will be too dark on that black exterior. IDK, we will have to see them on the car someday. Hell, we might have a picture of one already.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Good right up. And after fawning all over one today, I agree with almost all of what you said except for the RS package stuff. I really don't see the need for it on the SS's but of course that's a personal preference. I like the "normal" headlights, roof ditch moldings look good in black (I've only seen yellow and black cars), and I think the silver wheels go better with all the colors.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I arrived there at 8:20, was the first one through the gate...the chevy area got packed within 20 minutes, so we actually went and checked out the rest of the show. We left about 12;30....my kids and I were roasting on the GM side of the building. I ran into a couple people, but I thought how crazy it was and couldn't take it any more! If I had a nice chair to sit in, I could have sat there ALL DAY and talked shop.

As an FYI - most of the random walking chevy people are actually local area Chevy sales staff. The only true credible source there is our own Camaro5 guy Brian - who was there most of the day, doing the speech by the BLACK edition...

There was a guy by the red SS that was interesting...after about 20 minutes I told him I sold cars and he immediately went into the I SOLD 20...HOW MANY DID YOU SELL line...Then said he was still adding a lot of orders, well over his GUIDE NUMBER......It was then I realized he wasn't SHARIN THE CAMARO LOVE, he was SHARIN THE IM SELLING A LOT OF CARS.....I didn't find him too worthy of my time....

One of these days take a ride over...but let me know so I know I'm going to be there!!!!

Did you ticket arrive in time?
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
By the way, I got a hole in my pants.......It really sucks - I lost about 100 business cards all over that place - !!!! Hopefully they went to a good home!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
TStko
TKO

Drives: you crazy...
I keep hearing about the stripes peeling. I hope this issue is resolved by delivery date. THat's an issue that will get me highly upset.

cars are like women, some are old, some are new, some get turned on easily some need a lot more help, some you just wanna drive into the river, some you can't wait to get inside of, some are expensive to maintain, some are low maintenance, however if you treat them right, you'll have her for the rest of your life.....
TStko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStko View Post
I keep hearing about the stripes peeling. I hope this issue is resolved by delivery date. THat's an issue that will get me highly upset.
Where in the world did you hear that!?!?!?!?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Stripes probably need a break in (little summer radiation cooking). I would not worry about it. Dealer would fix if a probably I am sure.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
Red Hot
:)

Drives: 2SS RS Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Stripes probably need a break in (little summer radiation cooking). I would not worry about it. Dealer would fix if a probably I am sure.
I HATE taking cars into the dealer for any work. Too many times it comes back with other issues, scratches etc, and it makes me paranoid to leave it for anything!
They should have it right when I buy it.
btw, I'm not getting stripes. Too bad they aren't painting them on.
Red Hot is offline   Reply With Quote