Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Joshcamaro

Drives: 1989 camaro rs
Unhappy New and need help

Hi im new to this site and finally chose to join a site for help since i cant find what i need on google/ask.

I have a 1989 camaro rs it has a 2.8 v6 in it when i bought it but it was factory with a v8. alot of things on the v6 were "rigged" together to make it run and it recently blew a rod.

Ive been looking for an engine and have a few questions on what to do or any help anyone of you experienced people can offer.

1. will a '83 2.8 swap easily in to my camaro?
2. are the engine mounts for a v8 and a v6 in the 89's the same or different?

any suggestions on what to do would help alot. and i dont have a very big budget probably $400-600 maybe 800

Thanks, Josh.
Joshcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshcamaro View Post
Hi im new to this site and finally chose to join a site for help since i cant find what i need on google/ask.

I have a 1989 camaro rs it has a 2.8 v6 in it when i bought it but it was factory with a v8. alot of things on the v6 were "rigged" together to make it run and it recently blew a rod.

Ive been looking for an engine and have a few questions on what to do or any help anyone of you experienced people can offer.

1. will a '83 2.8 swap easily in to my camaro?
2. are the engine mounts for a v8 and a v6 in the 89's the same or different?

any suggestions on what to do would help alot. and i dont have a very big budget probably $400-600 maybe 800

Thanks, Josh.
Now when you say factory V8 you mean it was a V8 RS with a 305 Small block V8?

If so you could just find a used 305 TPI (tune port injection) engine for around 1000 complete (Alt, starter, everything attached) or less for a partially complete engine.

The sticky part will be making sure the trans is original and if it'll mate up with a new engine, as well as rewiring the ECU/Computer for the new V8. Your best bet for an online encyclopedia for help on this would be thirdgen.org.

But in the end, know that dropping a 305 into the car if it was originally a 305 would be the easiest, since the harness should still match the plugs for the donor engine (assuming 89 TPI 305).
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
'89 camaro, engine swap, motor mounts