Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM M6
Brembo swap onto non brembo car?

I tried a search but I was wondering if anyone know if you could swap the Brembo brakes from an SS onto a non brembo car? Looking at those cheap rotors on SLP's ebay store really made me wonder....
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
They are a direct swap, but you will need the rotors, calipers, and brake lines, if you can get the dust covers thats a plus, or you can just cut them to fit.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

hey christianmotox thanks for the info, what part of San Diego are you in? I'm stationed on Miramar is there any C5 clubs or meets you know of?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
You will also need the 20 inch wheels that the SS has. Or a set of 18 or 19 inch wheels that will clear the calipers.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
We will be putting up our full Brembos in the next few weeks
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
You will also need the 20 inch wheels that the SS has. Or a set of 18 or 19 inch wheels that will clear the calipers.

Was also looking at the 20" wheels w tires from the SLP store lol. Did they fix the issue with the calipers in 2011 or is there a fix for the 2010 calipers so they dont require those awful stick on weights? I think I read somewhere that it was an issue with the pads, maybe??
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Camaro View Post
Was also looking at the 20" wheels w tires from the SLP store lol. Did they fix the issue with the calipers in 2011 or is there a fix for the 2010 calipers so they dont require those awful stick on weights? I think I read somewhere that it was an issue with the pads, maybe??
They have a new set of brake pads with built in dampeners. All new 2011 SS Camaro's should have them. The SLP 20's should clear just fine with or without the stick on weights.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.

Last edited by nak3dsnake; 10-12-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Thanks nak3dsnake I was thinking they resolved the issue in 2011, I just don't like the way those weights look on there, I'm just picky like that haha
Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Thanks nak3dsnake I was thinking they resolved the issue in 2011, I just don't like the way those weights look on there, I'm just picky like that haha
Yeah, I have a set of the early Bremos and they're an eyesore. I plan on taking them off when I change the brakes for the first time and buying a set of the revised pads.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
hey christianmotox thanks for the info, what part of San Diego are you in? I'm stationed on Miramar is there any C5 clubs or meets you know of?
Im in south San diego, I know there is a SoCal club here, but i honestly never been to the meets, for some reason i always have something to do and i cant attend. But there's been a few.

And also, i have a set of 20" RS wheels and tires if youre interested, they come with TPMS and lug nuts, let me know if you want to come down and check them out.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
Thanks for the information guys, I was wondering the same thing about whether or not the SS Brembo's would fit on an LS. What would be the biggest concern wheel size wish in order to make them fit? Like would wider wheels be needed or a larger offset?

And also can you upgrade the wheel size on the LS? I suppose it wouldn't matter as long as you don't go so large that it rubs, but when I mentioned it at the dealership they were like larger wheels can mess up the transmission and the brakes on the LS aren't set up for it? But then again the same guy told me the suspension on the LS and LT were different

All help is appreciated.
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya boy willz View Post
Thanks for the information guys, I was wondering the same thing about whether or not the SS Brembo's would fit on an LS. What would be the biggest concern wheel size wish in order to make them fit? Like would wider wheels be needed or a larger offset?

And also can you upgrade the wheel size on the LS? I suppose it wouldn't matter as long as you don't go so large that it rubs, but when I mentioned it at the dealership they were like larger wheels can mess up the transmission and the brakes on the LS aren't set up for it? But then again the same guy told me the suspension on the LS and LT were different

All help is appreciated.
A wheel that will fit on an SS will fit on an LS.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya boy willz View Post

All help is appreciated.
The Hubs and bearings on the LS arent designed for larger wheels. When you get the RS package you get same ones used on the SS, which were made to handle the larger 20 inch wheels.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
The Hubs and bearings on the LS arent designed for larger wheels. When you get the RS package you get same ones used on the SS, which were made to handle the larger 20 inch wheels.
Whuuuaaa...? This is news to me!