Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
traip93

Drives: Ralley Yellow, Black Sripes 2L
touch up paint and chip warranty coverage? (pics)

First pictures are paint chips I noticed moments ago, where the front fender meets the wheel well.

I think these may be a defect, its on both sides??? I'll check with the dealership tomorrow, but this is going to take more than some touch up paint.

These are actually my fault, not sure when it happened, but it's on the driver side to the right of the slash guard. Probably hit a rock or two on the high way. How should I deal with these white spots?

traip93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
Yeah, I noticed a yellow Camaro in my area that had almost the same looking body damage. But they also had all kinds of stuffed animals in the rear window, so....I don't know if they are responsible or what.

Go get them checked out and keep us posted!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
I've got a couple of chips on mine too. I tried Dr. ColorChip on it. Before and after pictures are below. Didn't seem to fill in the chips well, but they much less noticeable - so much so I had to mark the filled in chip to see it through the camera viewfinder.
I try filling in separate coats with the Dr. colorchip later and see if they fill in better.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
quickdraw

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I went with the clear-bra on the front facia, mirrors and front wheel well leading edges. Chevy has a protectant behind the wheel wells down low and I was thinking about putting the film down in those areas also. Way too much crap on the roads in Vegas.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I went with the clear bra too, and splash guards, AZ has lots of dirt dust, and rocks.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I went with the clear-bra on the front facia, mirrors and front wheel well leading edges. Chevy has a protectant behind the wheel wells down low and I was thinking about putting the film down in those areas also. Way too much crap on the roads in Vegas.
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to have that done? And where you able to take it somewhere local or did it need to got to a specialty place?

Thanks .
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
I just asked about chip repair on the cosmetic forum, and this was given to me... http://www.drcolorchip.com

Looks like a really good product. I have at least two chips I know of. Got one yesterday after opening the door into my lawnmower.

The only problem with the clear bras is the whole murphy's law thing. After spending that much money on something like that, you have to know your going to get hit with something outside of the bra zone. I just met someone the other night with this on his camaro. And guess what, he had a chip on his hood (where the bra was not placed)

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I just asked about chip repair on the cosmetic forum, and this was given to me... http://www.drcolorchip.com

Looks like a really good product. I have at least two chips I know of. Got one yesterday after opening the door into my lawnmower.

The only problem with the clear bras is the whole murphy's law thing. After spending that much money on something like that, you have to know your going to get hit with something outside of the bra zone. I just met someone the other night with this on his camaro. And guess what, he had a chip on his hood (where the bra was not placed)
er...see 4 posts above..
Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary H50 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post

At Least you know that there is protection for the biggest part of the front end though.
viper1cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
traip93

Drives: Ralley Yellow, Black Sripes 2L
I don't like the line across the hood the clear bra leaves on solid color cars, I'm assuming it will look even worse with stripes.

My chips are outside of the bra area anyway.

How hard is it to remove the clear bra if desired, and what damage is cause under the clear bra when removed (fading paint, etc..). Just curious before I decide which direction to go.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by traip93 View Post
I don't like the line across the hood the clear bra leaves on solid color cars, I'm assuming it will look even worse with stripes.

My chips are outside of the bra area anyway.

How hard is it to remove the clear bra if desired, and what damage is cause under the clear bra when removed (fading paint, etc..). Just curious before I decide which direction to go.
The clear bra does not leave any paint damage and the paint fades at the same rate as the rest of the car. if you dont like the hood line then get the full hood and full fenders done. It will cost a little more but you will have the entire front end covered.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
Van

Drives: 2006 EVO MR - 390 @ wheels
Just make sure the guy doing the install is VERY experienced.
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/18/2009 TPW 9/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 8/24/2009
3400, Order broadcast 9/1/2009
3800, Order produced 9/11/2009
4200, Shipped 9/11/2009
5000, Delivered to the dealer
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
My car's door is also getting chips on the corner and I don't know where. Left my dealer a message today, didn't get a call back. I brought my car there the other day, after it was keyed. They buffed most of it out, but the rest is for the touch up paint I guess.

I didn't wanna mention the door chip because it was small, and didn't wanna be a pain in the ass. But now it's getting worse and more noticeable.
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by traip93 View Post
First pictures are paint chips I noticed moments ago, where the front fender meets the wheel well.

I think these may be a defect, its on both sides??? I'll check with the dealership tomorrow, but this is going to take more than some touch up paint.

These are actually my fault, not sure when it happened, but it's on the driver side to the right of the slash guard. Probably hit a rock or two on the high way. How should I deal with these white spots?

My 07 Tahoe has the same thing going on. I can say GM missed the boat as far as paint goes for the Tahoe.I can actually see the primer under the black paint in some areas.My Camaro seemes to be fairly decent just a few minor blemishes as with any vehicle.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote