Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Wash/Wash/Detailing and Cosmetic Maintenance Parts

Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
How did you get it for 150 ?
Bought it on a detailing forum off of a close friend.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
Why are you guys so freaked out? It's not a rotary. It's just a better machine. And will outlast the Porter Cable.

It does turn down also. LOL.
No one is freaked out, it's called giving responsible advice. You state that the Flex is not a rotary, however, the Flex is rated in OPM's AND RPM's. RPM's as in revolutions per minute, which is exactly how a rotary's power is rated. Now the Flex is no rotary but with the forced rotation, it can do some damage if used incorrectly. It also has a steeper learning curve. You say that it is as safe as a PC. That is absolutely not true. I would love to see two things. I would love to see you take a Flex out to your car and make a video of you doing what I do with the PC in these videos. I would also love to see you open your car up to anyone who wants to try the Flex out on your paint. This is only if you believe what you've posted.

At the same time, I would allow ANYONE with a PC to come buff on my paint, including kids. I do that all the time.

One more thing. The PC is a much better built polisher than the Flex. I've had my Flex serviced 3 times since I bought the thing. Neither my PC-7424 or my PC-7424XP have ever required service and I've had the PC-7424 for years. Those things are bullet proof.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
cam fan

Drives: fast
What an interesting debate

thanks for the heads up SSTG

junkman, you know im a fan (even though I keep losing every. single. Adam's. contest. here.)

Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
What an interesting debate

thanks for the heads up SSTG

junkman, you know im a fan (even though I keep losing every. single. Adam's. contest. here.)
Park you car outside and leave a 16 ounce porterhouse in the glove box. I'll hook up your shine.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
cam fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Park you car outside and leave a 16 ounce porterhouse in the glove box. I'll hook up your shine.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #20
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

I scared my cat because I lol'ed so loud!!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
No one is freaked out, it's called giving responsible advice. You state that the Flex is not a rotary, however, the Flex is rated in OPM's AND RPM's. RPM's as in revolutions per minute, which is exactly how a rotary's power is rated. Now the Flex is no rotary but with the forced rotation, it can do some damage if used incorrectly. It also has a steeper learning curve. You say that it is as safe as a PC. That is absolutely not true. I would love to see two things. I would love to see you take a Flex out to your car and make a video of you doing what I do with the PC in these videos. I would also love to see you open your car up to anyone who wants to try the Flex out on your paint. This is only if you believe what you've posted.

At the same time, I would allow ANYONE with a PC to come buff on my paint, including kids. I do that all the time.

One more thing. The PC is a much better built polisher than the Flex. I've had my Flex serviced 3 times since I bought the thing. Neither my PC-7424 or my PC-7424XP have ever required service and I've had the PC-7424 for years. Those things are bullet proof.
It is a responsible post. I'm not gonna argue with you. You have your opinion, I have mine. As a Detailer of over 20 yrs. I would not let any one buff on my car. It's not the buffer but the operator that makes mistakes.
My thought is to buy the better polisher with the ability to do more paint correcting as the operator gains more experience.
If you burn the paint with the Flex... You really should allow a pro to do it.
If your a garage guy that likes to play with his car? Get the PC.
And I've had my Flex for over 5 years with absolutely no problems.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

My number one rule of advice when it comes to paint care. Never tell a guy to do to his paint what I wouldn't allow him to do to mine.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #23
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
This has been said a ton of times on this site (junkman you rule) thanks for your input. Feeling better about my next buy.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #24
cam fan

Quote:
My number one rule of advice when it comes to paint care. Never tell a guy to do to his paint what I wouldn't allow him to do to mine.
the golden rule

the golden metallic flake rule
Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #25
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
'nuf said

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #26
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'd much rather have the PC over the Flex. It's a more versatile machine, and while it might take a little longer, it can take care of pretty much anything the Flex can with proper technique. It's also more comfortable to use in my experience.

I really can't think of a reason for any member here to own a Flex unless you do detailing on other cars. You simply don't need it on a brand new Camaro, and if you're reading anything in this section of the forum, your car is probably pretty well maintained already.

To me the Flex is like the .40. It's between the PC (9mm) and the rotary (.45), but it's kind of pointless.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #27
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I'd much rather have the PC over the Flex. It's a more versatile machine, and while it might take a little longer, it can take care of pretty much anything the Flex can with proper technique. It's also more comfortable to use in my experience.

I really can't think of a reason for any member here to own a Flex unless you do detailing on other cars. You simply don't need it on a brand new Camaro, and if you're reading anything in this section of the forum, your car is probably pretty well maintained already.

To me the Flex is like the .40. It's between the PC (9mm) and the rotary (.45), but it's kind of pointless.
Wow, you must have been a fly on the wall in my garage. I couldn't agree more.

I will say that the Flex does has its place in a weekend warrior's garage if they have some older cars with some really beat up paint but too many people are too fast to pick one up unnecessarily. Like you've said, most folks on this forum are pretty much dealing with relatively new paint, not 12 year old, neglected and severely swirled and hazy paint. Thus, there is no need to cut off more clear coat than necessary with a more aggressive machine. I have demonstrated countless times as to what the PC can do with a proper technique. These three pictures are a true testament to the effectiveness of the PC.

'

A PC is a very effective polisher when used with a correct technique.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #28
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
The Flex has adjustable speeds gentlemen. It does NOT have to be aggressive. There is A LOT more to polishing a car than the buffer that is used. On this forum The Junkman has spent a lot of time educating you guys. I am not here to argue, just help. If you narrow your mind to one way and one way only? It keeps you from being the best you can be. I will stand by my words and say that the flex is a better machine.

And as far as The Junkmans statement. " Never tell a guy to do to his paint what I wouldn't allow him to do to mine." I never told him what to do to his paint. Just that the Flex is better. If he wanted my advice on that I could surely help. I would start by saying "Always start with the least aggressive method" which CAN be achieved with the Flex.

Please remember, I didn't get into a "How To" just my opinion on a Polisher.

Thanks guys.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote