Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
J-Short

Drives: '13 2LT/RS BRM
When to trade 2LT for SS?

So I just got the 2LT about 3 months ago. Wasn't really feasable to get an SS because I walk to work. But I was wondering from the people who traded infor the SS, what time period did you wait before making the move?

I'm know I'm prob gonna get screwed on the $ no matter, but i was thinking at least 3 years before I upgrade so I should plan now? Or any use waiting for a 6th gen?

Any advise welcome.
J-Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I went from a '12 LS to a '10 2SS... I didn't care about going down in year or up in miles. Not sure how you feel about either of those. I went with the LS originally because my credit wouldn't allow me a new or used SS at the time. I'd say pay your car for a year, throw some extra $$ down if you can each month. By the time one year is up you'll pay a good chunk and get yourself closer to even for a trade as opposed to taking a big hit if you were to trade just a few months after purchase.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Traded my '10 2LT RS in after 37 months, 9000 miles. Tried to sell it privately for a year and a half, no takers. Another winter was looming and more depreciation the trade was the best option. I decided to buy a cheap SS for reasons you probably could care less.

My advice? You will get your head ripped off if you don't go through the trouble of trying several different dealers. Be patient, I went to 4 dealers and got 4 different amounts. When to do this? Do you have a loan on this car? I would wait until the loan payoff is less than they offer you in trade.

This was almost the point of no return here, I was wondering if I was doing the right thing.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #4
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
i agreee pay as much as you can each month so you can build equity on your loan that way you possibly can have a little left over after trade so you can put toward a new car i did that with my first of 3 camaros i traded my 2011 1lt/rs in for 22000 it had 9000 miles on it for a 2012 45th worked out great payment increase of around 150 a month ....also when your looking for that ss aDO NOT LET THE DEALER KNOW YOUR LOOKING TO TRADE IN negotiate your price first for the ss then after you haggle with them tell them youve decided to go ahead and trade in it also helps if you have some quotes from other dealers that way you ccan make them battle for your business i also went to carmax and told my dealer to match or beat it .....the reason being you dont tell them you want to trade is because they factor that in to your final price and you dont always win they will be like ok we ill give this guy a great deal on trade in that way he feels comfortable with us then not budge on the new car price they play all kinds of games i like to think ive gotten pretty good at it after 8 cars in the past 6 years hahahaha best of luck man o i also got my 2ss/rs 45th aniversary for 33700 otd and my 2013 2ss/rs 1LE (ordered it special from gm so i lost some haggle room) for 39000 otd not trying to brag just wanting you to know you can get them low if you play the game right
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
I agree with what others have said above. I personally would give it 2 years just to give it some time and also see if you want the 6th gen instead of getting a 5th gen ss. The last thing you want to to do is upgrade to an ss and then 3 months later see the new 6th and want to upgrade to that.
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Honestly I feel different why piss away money paying the car if you have no plans to keep it all you are pissing away money you can save for the SS. IMHO sell the 2LT buy a beater car for say $1000 and save the money you were going to spend on the monthly car payment and in 1-2 years you could have a nice down payment.

I do not see what sense it makes to pay on the 2LT for say 2-3 years. Let’s say you financed $27k for your 2LT that comes out roughly to $4500 a year you will pay over 6 years that’s $375 a month. Now fast forward 2 years from now your 2LT is worth say $17k but you still owe say $21k due to finance charges you are already upside down $4k plus $35k for an SS so in the end you are going to finance $40k for a SS when you could have financed a whole lot less buy saving your $$$ and putting down a big down payment on car you want.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Short View Post
So I just got the 2LT about 3 months ago. Wasn't really feasable to get an SS because I walk to work.

That is exactly why you should have gotten an SS. You don't have to worry about fuel economy to get to work. So, I'm sure why you said "Wasn't really feasable to get an SS because I walk to work." (sic)
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
I traded as soon as I made up my mind...
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Honestly I feel different why piss away money paying the car if you have no plans to keep it all you are pissing away money you can save for the SS. IMHO sell the 2LT buy a beater car for say $1000 and save the money you were going to spend on the monthly car payment and in 1-2 years you could have a nice down payment.

I do not see what sense it makes to pay on the 2LT for say 2-3 years. Let’s say you financed $27k for your 2LT that comes out roughly to $4500 a year you will pay over 6 years that’s $375 a month. Now fast forward 2 years from now your 2LT is worth say $17k but you still owe say $21k due to finance charges you are already upside down $4k plus $35k for an SS so in the end you are going to finance $40k for a SS when you could have financed a whole lot less buy saving your $$$ and putting down a big down payment on car you want.
Well said! This is dead on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
That is exactly why you should have gotten an SS. You don't have to worry about fuel economy to get to work. So, I'm sure why you said "Wasn't really feasable to get an SS because I walk to work." (sic)
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I am keeping my V6 and giving it to my wife and I am getting an SS for me. So it's a win win!
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Ha! Already thinking about trading up? I traded my '12 1LT for my '13 1SS after 8 months. Both cash deals so pay-down wasn't a consideration. Welcome to C5.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Waste

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT M6
I'm in the same boat as you are. I want to trade up to an SS and I'm 13 months into my payments. I'll take a beating on the trade in value, probably 4-5k upside down. When I think of that I question myself if having an SS is really worth it at that point. I should have gone with it originally but I drive 50+miles a day for work and it just made sense on that day, now I regret it. :(
Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
J-Short

Drives: '13 2LT/RS BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I just couldn't make sense for paying that much fur a car I really only drive weekends.
J-Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Short View Post
I just couldn't make sense for paying that much fur a car I really only drive weekends.
You will be paying more if you try to upgrade in a year or two and confinue to pay for the current car.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Shoulda, coulda, woulda..

I agree w/ above that stated if you're really interested then put your 2LT for sale by owner only, buy a beater (though anymore it takes $2-3k min for a beater), and save up. Don't sell your 2LT until you can get the price you want since you're not in a hurry. Good luck!

I don't know about CA, but pp tax & insurance could also save almost $1k per year also.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote