Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...and 200-250 lb. savings, mostly off the nose..."as required" vs. "pimped out"...
Whoa there ... the LSA does not weigh 200 lbs more than the LS7. More like 100 lbs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The difference in weight between a ZL1, as equipped, and an LS7'd "Base" 1ZE, as listed, could be 200-250 lb. ZL1 contains 2SS+ trimmings, all the electronic doodads, MRC etc. etc.

ZL1 = 4120
1SS = 3850 (-270)
LS3 = LS7
Enhanced FE4 = very little over FE4, and less than MRC
MG9 + Brembo 6/4 + HD Diff - (2) 6-way Seats - Forged 20s etc. = 3875/3920 end result...3875 or so with enhanced FE4, 3920 with MRC.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
For an OEM-warranted OHV 6.0L+ engine, 7,000 is "state of the art"...
The key words in that part are OHV if the op of this statement even knows the difference. The ls7 is the highest revving OHV engine I believe on the market
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #18
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I like the Z28 moniker.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I don't see where you are getting the $8k out of the base price. The MRC being an option is a good chunk but most of the other items listed do not really add up. The LS7 has to be more expensive than the LSA, plus I'd bet is on the chopping block.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

LS7 "viability" has been beaten to death, here, over the last 6 months...search "Wixom" in the Z/28 Section...which, BTW, has AT LEAST a 2-year lifespan, according to "sources".

Pricing Rationale:

$54,095 (ZL1 Base) - $46,995 (projected) = $7,100, or $5,500 with (MRC - enhanced FE4)...

ZL1 is equipped with features well beyond a 2SS...which is $3,600 more than a 1SS.

1SS is roughly = 1LT in car content (excluding driveline)...which is $2,000 more than 1LS.

That's $5,600 in non-mechanical content...NOT including ZL1-specifics.

LS7 crate engine - LS3 crate engine (as per GMPP) = $7,000, about $250 less than LSA...and 100+ pounds less, all by itself...

In the past, when Selective Ride (MRC) was available on Corvette as a free-flow option, the option price was about $2,000. Also made by Delphi.

IF non-MRC (- $2,000), add for enhanced FE4 (bars 'n bushings)...on a substitution basis, call it $500...NET of $1,500.

The HD Tremec (MG9) and HD 3.73 Diff/Axles and 6/4 Brembos and forged '20s/Goodyears are a constant, be it ZL1, Z/28, or 1LE.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Lowdown, haven't I heard this all before?

SEARCH AND LEARN!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Lowdown, haven't I heard this all before?

SEARCH AND LEARN!
Amen bro.....sigh...and on the ZL1 side there are those who actually argue the point that it's ok to the contrary. LOL, library catalogue's, hand searching through books for info, actually finding the information, reading it, and assimilating it...on one's own????....a dead art, sorry I digress<again>...., ok now back to the Z-28 channel....
Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
OK guys. I'm out. Sorry for butting into your Z28 discussion here...
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #24
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
If there will be a Z/28, it is probably not going to get an LS7 hate to break it to you. If anything I would guess an LS3 with a more aggressive cam, upgraded exhaust and a beefed up suspension, better designed CAI and some weight reductions.
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
OK guys. I'm out. Sorry for butting into your Z28 discussion here...
Actually, Clyde, we're simply 'splainin' the rationale, compiled over many-many months here. No need to flee, and your contributions and opinions are sought. It's just that, for some here, we've been 'round 'n 'round a time or twelve. We DON'T want a ZL1 (and we're very happy it was named as such!); we DO want something more than a 1SS/1LE; we recognize the elephant(s) in the room (BOSS and BOSS LS) and we expect/anticipate GM to come up with valid responses at BOSS-correct price points (low-$40s and upper-$40s) before the Gen-5's sunset.

Low-$40s = 1SS/1LE, pretty much as shown @ SEMA, only minus the "showcar" trimmings (leather 'n such). Offer it Base as a 1SS, and offer a 2SS-style upgrade to satify "those" folks...

Upper-$40s DOES afford (no pun) a legitimate opportunity for an LS7'd badge-worthy Gen-5 Camaro, to ably compete against ANY Dearborn-borne BOSS, as outlined above...

I do NOT expect a 1LE to be priced below a BOSS. GM simply doesn't NEED to. Same with the BOSS LS competitor. What's THE most outstanding track-able Camaro POSSIBLE for something between $45 and $50? And, if it fits the budget, WHY would we "settle" for less than the LS7?! If GM massages a 6.2L, it will still only be a 6.2. The LS7 will still equal/exceed the 6.2's "warrantiable" power and, left unmodified/unboosted, the LS7 will live a very l-o-n-g and charming life. And willingly tame the bucking broncos...

The problem with a "massaged" LS3? It doesn't exist in 60/100 (OE warranty), emissions-compliant, certified-'n-validated form...and that takes time and money that, apparently to this point, ain't happenin'... Every dollar $pent on an LS3 makes a buck closer to an LS7...

WIXOM: According to "sources", there is a bright-shiny future till summer-'13, at least. Plans beyond then are "incomplete"... If an LS7'd ZEE was intro'd, and demand for the car was "as anticipated", Wixom would be assured an even brighter-shinier future!

Gen-5 "LT1": NO ONE is telling anything about this engine's n/a abilities. Unless there's 470+ hp AND torque, it will deliver LESS than an LS7, which is required to move a 300+ lb. heavier Camaro vs. the power-to-weight of the BOSS. You need more than trick suspension and grippy rubber to track-match the BOSS... You need to ably move 3850-3920 pounds of Oshawa-oozing muscle, or at least make it THINK its muscle...and NOT Darlington Beach moss...

The other unanswered questions about this engine are, when will it be fully available, and will that leave enough time to implement a badge-worthy Gen-5 Camaro as it nears its sunset? Again...NO concrete answers available...yet...

Stay tuned.

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 12-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #26
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
I'm going to chime in here for a second, lots of good thoughts/ideas in this thread and many of the participants here have certainly been here long enough to have been round and round with all of the info. And yet the key questions remain unanswered, will there be a 5th gen. Z/28 and if there is what engine will be used? I feel that time is slowly starting to slip away for a 5th gen. Z/28 and I really can't think of a better body design to showcase a new Z/28 with heritage cues. I hope we'll see one, but if we don't I'm really looking forward to a 6th gen where they may get the weight down to something more reasonable. That said, the '69 Z/28 Camaro was my all time favorite and I would hate to see the opportunity missed for a 5th gen. version.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #27
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I'm going to chime in here for a second, lots of good thoughts/ideas in this thread and many of the participants here have certainly been here long enough to have been round and round with all of the info. And yet the key questions remain unanswered, will there be a 5th gen. Z/28 and if there is what engine will be used? I feel that time is slowly starting to slip away for a 5th gen. Z/28 and I really can't think of a better body design to showcase a new Z/28 with heritage cues. I hope we'll see one, but if we don't I'm really looking forward to a 6th gen where they may get the weight down to something more reasonable. That said, the '69 Z/28 Camaro was my all time favorite and I would hate to see the opportunity missed for a 5th gen. version.
Clyde
There will be body design changes for the 6th GEN, that's a given. If the Z-28 is not introduced until the 6TH GEN, then it will get a GEN 5 motor. That's another given. Granted, the GEN 5 Camaro that is so sleek and sexy, I ask why would GM risk offering a nexgen Camaro with an unknown powerplant if the demand exists now with the current body lines and available state of the art LS7 powerplant? That's for GM to decide, it's a micro program within a large Corporation. A tiny cottage program allowed to thrive within much bigger goals corporate wide. Thanks to Chevy, GM and the Exec's to continue this endeavour. Only time will tell what the final outcome will be. But, we will see the Return of The Jedi Z-28 at some point.
Quote:
Actually, Clyde, we're simply 'splainin' the rationale, compiled over many-many months here. No need to flee, and your contributions and opinions are sought. It's just that, for some here, we've been 'round 'n 'round a time or twelve. We DON'T want a ZL1 (and we're very happy it was named as such!); we DO want something more than a 1SS/1LE; we recognize the elephant(s) in the room (BOSS and BOSS LS) and we expect/anticipate GM to come up with valid responses at BOSS-correct price points (low-$40s and upper-$40s) before the Gen-5's sunset.

Low-$40s = 1SS/1LE, pretty much as shown @ SEMA, only minus the "showcar" trimmings (leather 'n such). Offer it Base as a 1SS, and offer a 2SS-style upgrade to satify "those" folks...

Upper-$40s DOES afford (no pun) a legitimate opportunity for an LS7'd badge-worthy Gen-5 Camaro, to ably compete against ANY Dearborn-borne BOSS, as outlined above...

I do NOT expect a 1LE to be priced below a BOSS. GM simply doesn't NEED to. Same with the BOSS LS competitor. What's THE most outstanding track-able Camaro POSSIBLE for something between $45 and $50? And, if it fits the budget, WHY would we "settle" for less than the LS7?! If GM massages a 6.2L, it will still only be a 6.2. The LS7 will still equal/exceed the 6.2's "warrantiable" power and, left unmodified/unboosted, the LS7 will live a very l-o-n-g and charming life. And willingly tame the bucking broncos...

The problem with a "massaged" LS3? It doesn't exist in 60/100 (OE warranty), emissions-compliant, certified-'n-validated form...and that takes time and money that, apparently to this point, ain't happenin'... Every dollar $pent on an LS3 makes a buck closer to an LS7...

WIXOM: According to "sources", there is a bright-shiny future till summer-'13, at least. Plans beyond then are "incomplete"... If an LS7'd ZEE was intro'd, and demand for the car was "as anticipated", Wixom would be assured an even brighter-shinier future!

Gen-5 "LT1": NO ONE is telling anything about this engine's n/a abilities. Unless there's 470+ hp AND torque, it will deliver LESS than an LS7, which is required to move a 300+ lb. heavier Camaro vs. the power-to-weight of the BOSS. You need more than trick suspension and grippy rubber to track-match the BOSS... You need to ably move 3850-3920 pounds of Oshawa-oozing muscle, or at least make it THINK its muscle...and NOT Darlington Beach moss...

The other unanswered questions about this engine are, when will it be fully available, and will that leave enough time to implement a badge-worthy Gen-5 Camaro as it nears its sunset? Again...NO concrete answers available...yet...

Stay tuned.
LS3, if it is even possibly attainable to produce in a stouter, more powerfull platform, will be not sufficient enough motor to fullfil the vision of what has been previously said by corporate Chevy Exec's forward looking about what the product should be. LS3 is not an acceptable power plant for the Z-28. It, IMHO should be over 500+ HP. Naturaly aspirated. Lowdown and 2ndChance have written voluminous dissertations on the subject.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 12-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #28
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Funny how, 10 months ago right after the ZL1 announcement, the "speculation" began...and 1LE and Z/28 are still being bantied about...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=128589&page=5

And there's STILL room for BOTH...only the "terms of reference" have changed a bit...

Tags
announced soon