Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #43
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Looking good, nice work. So what did you end up doing with the air bags?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #44
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Looking good, nice work. So what did you end up doing with the air bags?
Well, I don't think it's a problem. When you unplug the wiring harness under the seat and then plug the battery back in and crank the car, it tells you to service airbag. Hit the control stalk, the message goes away. There is a little red airbag light still on on the dash, but so what? Spoke to a guy who fixes Chevs and he said there is NO WAY that GM would disable all air bags just because one air bag sensor says there is a problem with that airbag. So I figure all the rest are still there and the seat mounted ones are just missing.

BTW it was really funny the first time I unplugged and drove a bit, OnStar started emailing me like crazy to warn me and tell me to take it to my dealer

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Good to know thanks. That's funny about the onstar.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #46
SSSoon

So I got the car into the garage late Tuesday, didn't have time to take the seats out. Had to get to airport for 6am the next morning, so I get into the car at oh dark thirty Wed AM, get buckled in (still takes me 3-4 minutes to get all the straps loosened, connected, and retightened) then try to close the door. Can't reach the handle. Man am I strapped in TIGHT. So, took it all off, closed the door, strapped myself in again, picked up the keys, accidentally popped the trunk.

Cursed eloquently and then phoned my wife to come out and close my trunk.

She's a real sweetie.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #47
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Really nice work. As solid as the 5th Gen is a roll cage makes a difference. Everything in the suspension works better. How restrictive are the seats with your HANS connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
I get into the car at oh dark thirty Wed AM, get buckled in (still takes me 3-4 minutes to get all the straps loosened, connected, and retightened) then try to close the door. Can't reach the handle. Man am I strapped in TIGHT. So, took it all off, closed the door, strapped myself in again, picked up the keys, accidentally popped the trunk.

Been there too
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #48
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Really nice work. As solid as the 5th Gen is a roll cage makes a difference. Everything in the suspension works better. How restrictive are the seats with your HANS connected?
So far, fits like a glove. In the pic a few messages above showing the belts in the car, you can see a big black U-shaped back pad in place behind the harness. That cutout is where the Simpson R3 unit fits into when strapped on. The tethers hook up to the helmet and let me turn my head but hold it in place, so any sort of hard shock would only let the helmet move forward an inch or two. Then with the halo from the Kirkeys, I'm covered for side impact too. Like I tell my wife, it's the cheapest life insurance we can buy. I can turn my head enough to see the side view mirrors and maybe a bit more, but that's all. No more shoulder checking. But with mirrors set right, you don't need to.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #49
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
So I got the car into the garage late Tuesday, didn't have time to take the seats out. Had to get to airport for 6am the next morning, so I get into the car at oh dark thirty Wed AM, get buckled in (still takes me 3-4 minutes to get all the straps loosened, connected, and retightened) then try to close the door. Can't reach the handle. Man am I strapped in TIGHT. So, took it all off, closed the door, strapped myself in again, picked up the keys, accidentally popped the trunk.

She's a real sweetie.
Yeah funny,the 1st time i strapped myself in i couldn't reach my gloves or shut the door,and it does take some time to strap in
Attached Images

cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #50
SSSoon

Some other observations after driving around for a few weeks with the bars/harnesses/seats in.

1. After 2 hours on the highway, the fact that the seats have no lumbar support becomes obvious. Bought the Kirkey lumbars and they are too soft to do any good. Cut down a piece of a pool noodle and it is a good start, but need to find some foam that is in between pool noodle and seat cushion. But still, 30 minutes on the track at a time would be no problem even without lumbar supports.

2. I can get the whole rig out and back to OEM in 45 minutes easy. If I was in a rush I could probably have done it faster. Took it all out without help last weekend, so it is possible to do this as a one-man thing. Not sure putting it in will be a one-man thing though. Stay tuned.

3. I love sitting lower down in the car. The only problem is there is now a huge blind spot in front of the car. Better not be any craters in the road as I go over a sharp hill because I would drive right into it. But still, lower seating is very good.

4. You get really used to being held in snug by the Kirkeys. Feels great. Getting in and out is now much easier now that I have done it a bunch of times. You don't sit down ass-first as you would normally do; you stick your head in the car first, lean on the center console, lower your butt in the seat. Works great.

5. Have not taken them to the track yet but am trying to soon, so will report back once that is done. But I am thinking it is gonna rock.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #51
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #52
SSSoon

VIR here I come!

Work done, car packed, heading to VIR for two days of fun with the Mustang SVT Club. Should be a blast. Will post some stuff Sunday night or Monday.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #53
SSSoon

Tried uploading a video in between runs but it looks crappy to me. Not sure what is up. Will try another one later. For now:

http://youtu.be/7TbLzf4PHSQ

Old 05-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #54
SSSoon

Hit 140 on the back straight and 120 on the front. Still slower in the corners than I want to be. But, it's been a great day.

Roll bars and seats have me in the car like glue. It's fantastic. Gotta remember to do it all in the right order though: Neck brace, lower harness, door bar, close door, set up iphone, upper harness, helmet. It's particularly a drag when you do all that and THEN remember your key is in your pocket. Start over.

First time I have ever had the car tell me to check my cooling system, though. Coolant temp at 201 (EDIT: 205 on last run of day). I am thinking that's not too bad, but I guess that's what you get with a supercharger.

Here's a 2:30 run:

http://youtu.be/mDXFfjxeEuw

Last edited by SSSoon; 05-25-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #55
SSSoon

More runs and conversation about VIR at:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6590763

Old 05-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #56
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
I love this kind of threads when I find them with all the info done instead of waiting for it hahaha. also like a lot the little warning posts..