Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Fire Extinguisher Mount

Hello,

I was researching the forum, and I found many occurrences of people "making" mounts for a fire extinguisher that could attach to the track in front of either the driver or passenger seat. However, I wasn't able to find if one of these was being mass produced, or if someone would be interested in making one for other C5 members to buy.

Does anyone know if a mass produced model is available? Also, if not, is anyone willing ot take on making one?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
I know this is a silly question, so stay with me for a second, but: What's the fire extinguisher for?
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
I know this is a silly question, so stay with me for a second, but: What's the fire extinguisher for?
a lot of car shows actually require them and probably good to have one if you track the car.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
a lot of car shows actually require them and probably good to have one if you track the car.
+1 on both, along with general safety.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
I'm working on how to mount mine, Haven't found a solution I'm happy with yet. You can buy the mounts that bolt to the seat slide, like this one

http://speedtactics.com/chevy_camaro_feb_0911.php,

but that inhibits how far forward the seat can go (which won't be acceptable to my wife). I also don't want to remove the seat adjuster handle. If I figure out some good solution I'll try to come back and post it.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint135 View Post
I'm working on how to mount mine, Haven't found a solution I'm happy with yet. You can buy the mounts that bolt to the seat slide, like this one

but that inhibits how far forward the seat can go (which won't be acceptable to my wife). I also don't want to remove the seat adjuster handle. If I figure out some good solution I'll try to come back and post it.
Great find there, thats exactly what i'm lookin for.

I don't have an issue with the seat going forward, wife is 5'9", so she puts the seat the entire way back, and the seats are power, so I don't have a handle.

that will work great.

Thank you!

Edit: Looks a little pricey though. Is this a reasonable cost? What size bottle do most people get?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Flashpoint135

Yes, pricey. I'm likely to just bolt it through the tunnel if I have to.

I bought a 1.4 lbs "clean agent" extinguisher, which is pretty small, but I didn't want anything too big.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
Swacer

Quote:
Yes, pricey. I'm likely to just bolt it through the tunnel if I have to.

I bought a 1.4 lbs "clean agent" extinguisher, which is pretty small, but I didn't want anything too big.
Would a 2.5# one be wider than the seat?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Flashpoint135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Would a 2.5# one be wider than the seat?
I just checked amazon.com for a couple 2.5# and one was 17.5" and the other 16.9". So measure the seat (or whenever you're thinking about putting it) and then check online for dimensions.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Mannsiam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
What would you use the fire extinguisher for? Unless its to put someone that is on fire ouot its useless for the car.

Yeah Im a Chevy Guy. 11 Silverado, 12 Malibu, 14 Camaro 1LE
Mannsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
Bowtie-Bri

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convt.
OP, not sure if this is what your looking for, but I did what the OP in the link did. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...e+Extinguisher It was very easy and cheap to do!
2013 Nickey Stage II Camaro SS Convertible #10.Black w/ Red leather interior. No Weeds Elec. Diverters, CNC ported heads, custom grind cam, upgraded fuel injectors, ZL-1 fuel pump, V-Max ported TB, Red Magnuson Super Charger with rear cog drive, upgraded rear axles good for 1400Hp, 3:45 gears, Tremec 6 spd., Pedders adj. coil overs, Phadt ZL-spec swaybars, 800Hp at the crank, 670RWHP, 613ft.lbs. torq. @ 11lbs. boost. SOLD!!!
Bowtie-Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannsiam View Post
What would you use the fire extinguisher for? Unless its to put someone that is on fire ouot its useless for the car.
I would tend to agree with this. In most, if not all cases, if the vehicle is in flames, it's probably too late...
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Just a simple bracket DIY-fabbed from 1/8" thick steel strips, with the fire extinguisher's own mount fastened to it. This bracket is attached to the outboard seat mount stud. It does not move around or interfere with the seat movement at all, whether a fire extinguisher is in it or not. Anybody who fabs up anything similar should verify these considerations on their own cars.

I was required to have a mounted fire extinguisher for the first event involving actual road course driving that I attended. Seemed like a good thing to leave in place, so it's been there ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannsiam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
I would tend to agree with this. In most, if not all cases, if the vehicle is in flames, it's probably too late...
Actually, I once put out somebody else's small underhood car fire, not at a track day or autocross but just on the road.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
You can buy the mounts that bolt to the seat slide, like this one

That's a mighty high price!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote