Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
2SS new front bumper/fascia replacement

So today i was driving down the highway in my DD 2SS and just my luck, the mud guard from a semi came flying off and crushed my front bumper and shredded in pieces all over the road.

With that being said the bumper is damaged and looks terrible. ive been looking around and my dealership says that any place I order that isn't oem will most likely have fitting issues due to the quality and they way they store them making them deformed.
I was just curious to if anyone here has ordered a new front fascia from thatgmpartsguy and the quality it came? im trying to get estimates from my dealership they state itll be 4-500 just for the repaint.
I just want it to look the way it did before.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
Kise

**side note

I found the best deal to be GM Parts Direct.
just hoping that everything is legit.
from the estimates provided it looks like painting the bastard is more expensive than the part itself.

if anyone has experience a similar situation please share!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Are you sure your dealership won't match whatever price you get or better it? Shipping on something that big is a huge dollar amount in my experience so be sure to factor that into your evaluation of price. I'd ask the dealer to match it if it were me so they own the whole thing and can warranty it after repair. You are on your own to remedy any damage in shipping or other issues if it shows up with anything wrong. That may involve paying to ship it more than once as well. The dealer will take care of all that if they get the parts for you. If it's close in cost I'd just have the dealer do it all.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
Are you sure your dealership won't match whatever price you get or better it? Shipping on something that big is a huge dollar amount in my experience so be sure to factor that into your evaluation of price. I'd ask the dealer to match it if it were me so they own the whole thing and can warranty it after repair. You are on your own to remedy any damage in shipping or other issues if it shows up with anything wrong. That may involve paying to ship it more than once as well. The dealer will take care of all that if they get the parts for you. If it's close in cost I'd just have the dealer do it all.

thats the thing, I don't believe they will as they needed 7 tries to fix my exhaust rattle and 3 tries and counting on the rear diff groan and aren't all too excited about providing service for that to be corrected
they claim they aren't/don't have a body shop so they cant do it.
my main concern really is just the painting and installation part.
the fascia is about 320, easy peasy.

most places wont just paint it for me "no money to be made" lol but for paint and installation I have quotes for 800-1200. seems really steep when I could get the whole car repainted for just over 2 grand.

at this point I'm almost thinking of just taking off the components, installing the grill ect.. getting that painted and installing it myself.
all of these places to get it painted aren't seeing a lot of money to be made so they don't want to help either haha what a day man
Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Maybe I missed it but why aren't you going through insurance so a reputable body shop can get the OEM part and do a quality paint job?
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Any of those online GM parts add a huge shipping & handling fee when it comes down to checkout. A body shop is your best bet just make sure they use OEM parts.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
Maybe I missed it but why aren't you going through insurance so a reputable body shop can get the OEM part and do a quality paint job?

when it happened i was merging on to another highway and didn't get to exchange any info or file a report.

if itll be around 8-900 (probably a little more) and my deductible is 500 id rather just pay in cash rather than going through that hassle.

regardless a reputable body will do it, they just quote me 100+ more for the part itself so i was seeking my options.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
Any of those online GM parts add a huge shipping & handling fee when it comes down to checkout. A body shop is your best bet just make sure they use OEM parts.
that's what I figured so maybe the difference in their price would even out to what I can get the part for.
Thanks man!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
that's what I figured so maybe the difference in their price would even out to what I can get the part for.
Thanks man!
That's been my experience! I've taken screenshots of the "part numbers" that I need when looking at those online microfiche's. I text it to my parts guy at the local Chev dealership and it typically happens to have the online price. It's interesting what the local parts guy comes up with for prices on the parts when I go pick them up
Old 04-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Quote:
they claim they aren't/don't have a body shop so they cant do it.
my main concern really is just the painting and installation part.
the fascia is about 320, easy peasy.
I wouldn't even talk to them about it if they don't do body work regularly. Their paint job will be terrible or they will farm it out to someone else so you will have a hard time getting it fixed if it isn't done right. You need to go to a collision repair shop wether it is part of a Chevy dealership or not. Of course it will be more expensive because they are going to do it right and won't cut corners. But you will have OEM parts and it will look like new which will be 100X better than you trying to piecemeal it together. Most bodyshops won't even let you bring your own stuff in because they don't want to be on the hook for shoddy, cheap, parts which is for your protection (and theirs). You will definitely get what you pay for so be careful but it's your car...
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
I wouldn't even talk to them about it if they don't do body work regularly. Their paint job will be terrible or they will farm it out to someone else so you will have a hard time getting it fixed if it isn't done right. You need to go to a collision repair shop wether it is part of a Chevy dealership or not. Of course it will be more expensive because they are going to do it right and won't cut corners. But you will have OEM parts and it will look like new which will be 100X better than you trying to piecemeal it together. Most bodyshops won't even let you bring your own stuff in because they don't want to be on the hook for shoddy, cheap, parts which is for your protection (and theirs). You will definitely get what you pay for so be careful but it's your car...
I agree. Trying to piece together a 800-1000 repair for something that should cost something more in the 1500-2000 range is risky at best. If it were me I would take the thirty minutes, file a claim, pay your 500 dollar deductible and have it taken to the best body shop in your area. Imo easier and more likely to be better quality.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
Kise

Quote:
I mean in the case I just need it installed lol I used to work for a gm dealer so its not the most challenging fix. my biggest dilemma is getting the quality paint job/paint match.
my dealership is only able to help with the installation so im steering towards other places because that still leaves me at square one.

ive gotten full quotes for about 1200 from a gm collision center with the other collision centers being much more I just figured I could save a few hundred to cut corners so that extra money could go towards modding the car, headers,e85 ect.. but you're right. im just going to drop it by a collision center and let them do the works.

im almost leaning on just getting rid of it and getting a 1le SS as a daily or a new Tahoe.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
Lemosine

Drives: 2016 M6 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
when it happened i was merging on to another highway and didn't get to exchange any info or file a report.

if itll be around 8-900 (probably a little more) and my deductible is 500 id rather just pay in cash rather than going through that hassle.

regardless a reputable body will do it, they just quote me 100+ more for the part itself so i was seeking my options.
Similar happened to my Wife, we didn't need to exchange information. We told insurance what happened, they said "okay". Sent a guy out next day, day after that they called and said take it to any shop you want we got you covered and payed the 500 deductible to the body shop when it was all done. it was almost 3 grand that the insurance payed. Because they fixed any little thing cracked or bent. If you get it done through insurance at least you know anything and everything will get fixed. Where as if you pay for the bumper and a repaint and come to find out something else is messed up you will either pay more or the body shop will act like they don't see it. Just my opinion.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:25 PM   #14
MA3DAY 49

Drives: Chevy Camaro
2016 2SS Camaro OEM front bumper

I'm sure this situation has been already fixed. If anyone is in need I have a 2016 2ss front bumper I would like to get rid of. It's all black. It has normal road wear and the reason it's not on my car is because back in 2021 when I got my car I had a driver spin his truck tires in some road debris containing small rocks. It chipped my windows and paint all on the passenger side of the car. While going through repairs I decided to get a ZL1 front bumper that fits my car. I know how the old one in my garage that my wife wants me to get rid of. So if OEM is what your looking for I have one.
MA3DAY 49 is offline   Reply With Quote