Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #71
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
have used the "garbage" aka Turtle wax for years and know alot of people that love the stuff.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #72
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
have used the "garbage" aka Turtle wax for years and know alot of people that love the stuff.
A lot of people thought sending their retirement money to Jim Baker and PTL was the right thing to do also. Look what that got them.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #73
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
My son came home with Turtle wax for his ricer he loves. I gently sat him down and asked him if he had the receipt so he could go back and get real stuff

I am not a pro, but even I can tell the difference in a shine between Turtle Wax and Meguiars. Not to mention how easy it is with a good wax versus a cheap one.

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #74
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

I'm 40 and have used dozens of waxes and polishes on all kinds of vehicles and I have never seen that much of a difference. have used meguires, TW, and many others over the years. of course those are all OTC products. Make fun of my wax job all you want. I know it looks awesome and people notice it and compliment me. that's all matters to me.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
Old 05-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #75
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

But you've just said it...

Quote:
...of course those are all OTC products.
There isn't any difference between OTC products. They are marketed to certain sector of customers who either don't care that much, don't know any better or are on a budget. But to compare the results that they achieve with a quality product is just being uninformed. If OTC products were any good, body shops and pro detailers would NOT spend the money they do on professional products. If I could get away with using Turtle Wax on a car and charge $200 for an exterior detail, I might think about doing it on the side. The only problem is, I would never get any repeat business!

At a car show this weekend, I only had time to use a last step polish on my car. I didn't even have a chance to apply ANY wax. However, people thought the paint on my car looked fantastic. This is the difference between a quality polish and a OTC wax. Just imagine how much deeper my shine would have been if I had sealed it and then laid some carnuba paste over the sealant. They don't sell that type of stuff OTC.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #76
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

got any samples? :o)

Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #77
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
got any samples? :o)
Plenty. All you have to do is come over and pick some up.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #78
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patfan1987 View Post
Thx i just wasnt thinking, dumb move on my part.
Don't 'beat' yourself up. We all learn from our mistakes. One way or the other.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #79
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
That's what happens when you wetsand, time to polish
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #80
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Okay PatFan, I guess you already realize that you really made a bone head move! I won;t rub it in more than that!

First off, allow me to offer two resources that have proven methods of chip repair. None of these methods involve sand paper! That is the last thing that you should have done! What you should have done was checked with the people installing the cler bra. Most of these places have guys who have knowledge with paint correction and will take care of any issues for a price.

Now for those two resources. The first is Dr. Colorchip. The second option is the Langka System. Either will work if the are used EXACTLY as the instructions direct! Neither product is fast and may take days or longer to do the job right. I cannot stress the part about following the directions. That is the secret to your success.

I would seriously think about getting this fixed professionally as it is nowhere near as easy as some of the post in this thread make it out to be for a novice. For someone who does this for a living, it would take less than 5 minutes to make those scratches disappear. For a novice, it would take less than that to make the damage require a visit to a paint booth! If you put a rotary polish on that damage, you will loose the paint chip because you will end up wiping all the paint off that area! That would NOT be good!

The Junkman
This MOFO knows his shit. . . listen to every word he preaches.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #81
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Plenty. All you have to do is come over and pick some up.
LOL...Louisville is a little out of the way but ya never know

Old 05-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #82
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

It will still be here if you decide to drop by.