Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #85
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post

One question: anyone know how the splitter is attached? Are we talking adhesive or tape, or will this be a bolt-on item?
A front splitter, if having any degree of function, is going to be attached to a trim ring or support, behind the front fascia.

Bolting a splitter to the fascia itself, is a bad idea, and generally results in tearing the fascia at those points.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 AM   #86
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
It just occurred to me, that your ex C63 Black Series was slower in a few tests against the ZL1, so I'm sure that for the Z28, it will be a cake walk.

Would love to see some of those 800HP Brabus models vs the Callaway Z28 on a track though!
...me too. About the Callaway dealer installed mod's....they are first rate. You were questioning their ability earlier. They have proven the test of time. Read the reviews. Do the research on them yourself. Stop baiting. You are the one making comparisons on all kind of models not previously discussed or noteworthy. Brabus??? Go for it...., you probably have a hybrid anyway....just sayin'
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #87
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...me too. About the Callaway dealer installed mod's....they are first rate. You were questioning their ability earlier. They have proven the test of time. Read the reviews. Do the research on them yourself. Stop baiting. You are the one making comparisons on all kind of models not previously discussed or noteworthy. Brabus??? Go for it...., you probably have a hybrid anyway....just sayin'
Yes, I keep it real.

Sledge a hybrid? I think not.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #88
Callaway Chris

Quote:
Callaway "mods" aren't dealer installed mods, they are in-fact, built exclusively at Callaway Cars' facilities in Connecticut and California. This is so one doesn't wind up with one of dozens of individual interpretations of the install, like however the dealer felt like installing.

While all four of my personal Callaways were built in Connecticut, I know if one or more were built in California, they would have been built to the same standard.

You are right - they have stood the test of time. Over 37 years worth which is an awesome accolade!!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #89
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Quote:
How is this an upgrade based on:

1. Added weight
2. Thermal loads added by supercharging?

Don't get me wrong, Callaway usually does a very good job -- but even without thinking about the cost of these upgrades, my answer is "no thanks!".

If I absolutely needed more power, I think I'd be calling Katech instead...
Could not of said it any better
Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #90
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
Callaway "mods" aren't dealer installed mods, they are in-fact, built exclusively at Callaway Cars' facilities in Connecticut and California. This is so one doesn't wind up with one of dozens of individual interpretations of the install, like however the dealer felt like installing.

While all four of my personal Callaways were built in Connecticut, I know if one or more were built in California, they would have been built to the same standard.

You are right - they have stood the test of time. Over 37 years worth which is an awesome accolade!!
Thanks for the feedback, Chris. I think anyone who knows cars knows the reputation that Callaway has earned over the years. The company does a top-notch job, and I love the FIA GT3 Corvettes that are built out of Leingarten.

In my case, I'm sure the Callaway improvements to the Z/28 are awesome, but I like my track cars to be normally aspirated. Maybe you (or someone with Callaway; I'm unsure of your connection) could fill us in on how your S/C mods are engineered -- particularly with regards to weight and cooling?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #91
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Chris. I think anyone who knows cars knows the reputation that Callaway has earned over the years. You guys do a top-notch job, and I love the FIA GT3 Corvettes that are built out of Leingarten.

In my case, I'm sure the Callaway improvements to the Z/28 are awesome, but I like my track cars to be normally aspirated. Maybe you could fill us in on how your S/C mods are engineered -- particularly with regards to weight and cooling?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #92
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post

...semantics, my pardon. I am a fan of their cars and understand the skill used and workmanship involved that they put into them. These upgrades are hands on and mission dedicated. They are first rate.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #93
Callaway Chris

Quote:
...semantics, my pardon. I am a fan of their cars and understand the skill used and workmanship involved that they put into them. These upgrades are hands on and mission dedicated. They are first rate.
No worries - and I do love my Callaway Corvettes and Camaro which I've owned.

I personally would not buy a dealer-installed modified vehicles for three simple reasons:

1. I have yet to see one which wasn't built with obvious shortcuts.

2. No Factory Powertrain Warranty on Dealer Mods, regardless of the promises, the dealer would need to back it, which isn't close to the same.

3. Resale - who knows about that with a dealer mod, esp. given factors #1 and #2.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #94
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post
I agree they SHOULD have made a street drag car, or a solid rear axle option for people who just want to go Mustang hunting.

HOWEVER, people taking a car that is made to be a pure track king and turning it into a power house is just stupid. Hennessey will do it, Lingenfelter, Callaway, the whole lot.

And I don't blame them because why would they not? If people are going to pay for a ruined car why would they not make them and sell them?

My POINT, is the car is meant to be a track car, if you want a drag Camaro, then DON'T buy one of these...

I just hope nobody takes the LS7 out and puts a big iron block in... I might puke

But its bound to happen.
I GUESS YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO PUKE....the lsx block will find it's way into these cars pretty fast,as the compression ratio is just to high for any huge boosted HP#'s,so it would make more sense to build a boosted iron block low compression motor than tear apart the factory block it came with...Plus the LSX is already set up for a dry sump set up as well.....If anyone thinks that there is not going to be someone building a hot rod out of these your just going to have to puke......

I see nothing wrong with a 1300hp texas mile Z28 it would be way cool...
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #95
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
I GUESS YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO PUKE....the lsx block will find it's way into these cars pretty fast,as the compression ratio is just to high for any huge boosted HP#'s,so it would make more sense to build a boosted iron block low compression motor than tear apart the factory block it came with...Plus the LSX is already set up for a dry sump set up as well.....If anyone thinks that there is not going to be someone building a hot rod out of these your just going to have to puke......

But why tear-down a Z/28 as opposed to building up something else to run the Texas mile? Certainly there are better starting point options.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #96
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post

I understand your point but why start with a car developed to such a specific task and the price that it comes with, just to tear it apart and make it not longer any good at that task? Start with a base SS and save yourself $40k.

Edit: Beside, in my opinion, it wouldn't be a Z/28 anymore. Everything that made it a Z/28 would be removed. The engine, trans, wheels and tires, suspension and rear end would be changed to support that power level and make it a better straight line car.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote