Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
pandalove182

Drives: 1985 camaro Z28,2000 camaro SS
Is there a difference....

Im going to buy a new camaro SS, I missed out on a great deal for a 01 with 66k going for 10,250. Right now I have my sights set on a 1999 SS with 80k going for 8,800. My question is that if you were going to buy a fourth generation camaro what year would you choose and why? and if their is any opinion on my current situation let me know. THanks
pandalove182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
The 01-02's are preferred because they already come with the LS6 intake, no EGR, and better flowing exhaust manifolds. But the 98-99's had a slightly bigger cam and injectors. 98's have less tunable computers, and less desirable center bolt heads. There are other minor differences, but those are the bigger ones.

None of these differences should be of a huge concern. I wouldn't turn down a good deal on any year, but like a said, the 01-02's are just a little bit better, stock. Depending on your planned mods, many of those differences are mute.

My SS is a 98 and I couldn't be happier with it. I wouldn't trade it for any comparably modded 4th gen SS, regardless of year.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
10k for an 01?

that damn thing had better have been in beyond mint condition for that price.

I prefer the looks of the LT1 series (93-97) 4th gens over the rounded LS1 series (98-02). but thats just me.

keep looking around and you'll be able to find a great car for a great price.

hell, I got my 94Z from Effingham, IL a few years ago for next to nothing.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
JJ#48Racing

10K for an 01' SS with 66K miles in good condition seems like a great deal to me. The 99 SS sounds like a good deal too, assuming it's in good shape.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
10K for an 01' SS with 66K miles in good condition seems like a great deal to me. The 99 SS sounds like a good deal too, assuming it's in good shape.
well, depending on where you are at. but if you open your search to more than just local or just your state, you'll see cars in similar condition with similar mileage with 3-4k difference in prices
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
well, depending on where you are at. but if you open your search to more than just local or just your state, you'll see cars in similar condition with similar mileage with 3-4k difference in prices
10k is a steal for an 01 or 02 SS in TN and NC. they are running anywhere from 13-16k and for a very good condition one about 18k. crazy in my book but oh well. supply and demand. lol.

to the OP.

go ahead and get the 99 it's a good deal IMO. I have a 98 and the only problem with the 98 year model is the ECM issue. but that's mainly a disadvantage if you use a hand held tuner. Which I totally dislike personally. lol. the only hand held tuner available for the 98's is the hypertech power programer III. if you have an ls6 intake along with LT headers it will lean out the engine and then boom. . . if you end up with any car I would say get a real tune.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
brotherben

Drives: 1994 camaro 6 cil. all stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
10k for an 01?

that damn thing had better have been in beyond mint condition for that price.

I prefer the looks of the LT1 series (93-97) 4th gens over the rounded LS1 series (98-02). but thats just me.

keep looking around and you'll be able to find a great car for a great price.

hell, I got my 94Z from Effingham, IL a few years ago for next to nothing.
I agree I love the early 4th gen's also, just my opinion
brotherben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
10k is a steal for an 01 or 02 SS in TN and NC. they are running anywhere from 13-16k and for a very good condition one about 18k. crazy in my book but oh well. supply and demand. lol.
That is more the price across the board as I've seen.

When I began my search in Dec 05 for my 02 SS, I found two which were identical. One in Corpus Christi was being sold at a dealer and the other was in Madrid, IA (just 5 min from Des Moines). Both had starting bids on ebay for $18,500. The auction on ebay for the one in Corpus Christi (with 32,000 or so miles) ended first with no bids. I called them to tell them I was interested and wanted to go see it...only to be told they sold it the day the auction ended for $21,800.

I get in touch with the other seller...which still had no bids, but one or two days left on the auction. He just wanted to get rid of it since winter was upon him and he was still making payments on it. I had a feeling it was going to go for more since it had 18,200 miles on it. Well, I got it for a steal at $18,400.....December 2005.

If you want a well maintained, lower miles, later model SS, it's going to run you a couple dollars more than the one you find for 10K. It might be just me, but I would personally watch out for those "to good to be true" sales. I would be worried it's been ragged out. Mine was meticulously gone over by a dealer to check for any and all problems. The only two problems my car ever had were the passenger fog light going out and the driver side window motor going out...both were replaced under warranty by the dealer. Everything else was kept completely stock on the car. Kyle did a great job taking care of it and I can't thank him enough.

Now...come May of this year, he has said he wanted to buy it back...and that he wished he never sold it. He's got dibs, but if he backs out, it's going up for sale for anyone wishing to give my baby a good home.:(

I'd much rather keep it...tuck it away...under a cover.... Can't do that if I'm going to want to get into a fully loaded 2SS/RS, though. She's just going to have to go...and she's paid off too....ugh....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
JJ#48Racing

I'd love to keep my 4th gen SS also, but it's just not an option if I want a 5th gen. I'm waiting for a 2011 SS anyway, so I still have some time with my current baby.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

my 94Z is fully paid off (thankfully, now that the trans is busted) and I will be keeping it when I get my 5th gen. the 94 will go on to be a full track car, I'm going to check out a few trucks on wednesday to see if there is anything I like. (which I already know there is... just dont tell them, gotta talk them down lol)

but if you look around enough, hell in IL theres a free weekly publication callled "Auto & RV" that has a lot of f-bodies. not to mention, just because someone is asking a certain price, doesnt mean you cant talk them down on it.

hell, a friend of mine dropped the price on his 02 from $15k down to $4k before he finally decided to keep it.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
pandalove182

Drives: 1985 camaro Z28,2000 camaro SS
Thanks for the help about my dilemma. But unfortunately I missed out on both deals and now im looking for a new car again. A friend of mind suggested that I just wait for the new camaro and lease it for a while....what do you guys think about that?
pandalove182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandalove182 View Post
Thanks for the help about my dilemma. But unfortunately I missed out on both deals and now im looking for a new car again. A friend of mind suggested that I just wait for the new camaro and lease it for a while....what do you guys think about that?
look around for a 500-1000 dollar beater to bide you over till the camaro comes out.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: