Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #169
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Innovations View Post
"Shouldn't you guys be workin'?"
I only work 3 days a week. Its my weekend now....
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #170
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Damon just finished VE tuning the car over lunch. It's running even crisper now!

Gonna drive it some now, do a few more subtle mods like a line lock, and get it to the dyno later this month and see what numbers we get out of it!
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #171
RedZL1

Drives: Victory Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Gen Forever View Post
Damon just finished VE tuning the car over lunch. It's running even crisper now!

Gonna drive it some now, do a few more subtle mods like a line lock, and get it to the dyno later this month and see what numbers we get out of it!
Please keep us posted on those numbers!
RedZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #172
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
1st gen, You said it was loud, are you running cats
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #173
All-American ZL1
Chevy Power

Drives: 13 ZL1 M6 #123, '98 Jeep Wrangler
Great Build! This has been very fun to watch. Are you thinking about putting the car on a scale to get an idea of how these mods have changed your weight distribution. It probably won't make any significant difference, but I was just curious because those heads look huge!
All-American ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #174
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Any particular reason you went with the Mast heads instead of have a port/polish job done on the stock heads?
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #175
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
Any particular reason you went with the Mast heads instead of have a port/polish job done on the stock heads?
I'm not speaking for him, but those heads are more efficient, basically. They also have thicker decks and taller valve cover flanges, too. Given, LSA heads are better to withstand heat and boost than LS3-style heads because of the roto-casting, but valve angles are better for the intake on the MASTs and the ports don't have the vane cast into them, which purportedly effect flow. They're supposed to impart swirl and homogenize (?sp?) the air/fuel better, but I believe they flow less than LS3-style heads, too. More flow usually equals less boost which results in less heat, much of the time, so long as the rest of the system is up-to-snuff.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #176
PhxTriode

Drives: 09' CTS-V 2.9L Whipple 21psi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
After dealing with both the ported lsa and the mast, the mast is better all the way around. That is not to take anything away from the lsa because it is a fantastic head from the factory.

Take the flow numbers from the best lsa porting and the mast LS3 med bore castings and it is a no brainer. Now take the cost of a set of ported casting with valves and cores, the $500 premium for a purpose built head makes more sense.
PhxTriode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #177
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

-On the sound -
I am running Stainless Works high flow cats that came with the 1 7/8 headers. The rest of the exhaust is stock. With more driving time in now, I would say that leaving the muffler butterflies in stock behavior around town, the car has a strong deep rumble at idle that quiets down once you start moving and if you keep the throttle opening small you can even run the RPMs up to 5k without it getting too loud. However- If you really step into it, opening that 102TB up nice and wide, once the RPMs pass 4k, it roars like a Sprint Cup stock car!

-On the heads-
My logic for selecting the MAST heads is a little bit of Damon's logic above mixed with simply going a little nuts on the idea of getting this thing to breathe as good as possible. I got lot's of feedback from different people as to whether the heads would help that much vs porting on a supercharged build. As far as the vane in the LSA heads, most port jobs remove that so I see that as more of a stock benefit.

The dyno numbers as well as 1/4 mile times will tell the real story later but I must say that this thing pulls like CRAZY in the middle of the power band.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #178
PhxTriode

Drives: 09' CTS-V 2.9L Whipple 21psi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Gen Forever View Post
-On the sound -
I am running Stainless Works high flow cats that came with the 1 7/8 headers. The rest of the exhaust is stock. With more driving time in now, I would say that leaving the muffler butterflies in stock behavior around town, the car has a strong deep rumble at idle that quiets down once you start moving and if you keep the throttle opening small you can even run the RPMs up to 5k without it getting too loud. However- If you really step into it, opening that 102TB up nice and wide, once the RPMs pass 4k, it roars like a Sprint Cup stock car!

-On the heads-
My logic for selecting the MAST heads is a little bit of Damon's logic above mixed with simply going a little nuts on the idea of getting this thing to breathe as good as possible. I got lot's of feedback from different people as to whether the heads would help that much vs porting on a supercharged build. As far as the vane in the LSA heads, most port jobs remove that so I see that as more of a stock benefit.

The dyno numbers as well as 1/4 mile times will tell the real story later but I must say that this thing pulls like CRAZY in the middle of the power band.
We have a few more degrees of timing for the top left to go, but want to put a good load on her with the dyno to verify the top of 4th gear.
PhxTriode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #179
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
Very Sick
Godsplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #180
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Even with all the mods, when it has to be civilized it does just fine!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #181
KD Innovations

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
Need to add throttle.
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #182
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
Nice! They say it never rains in Arizona!
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote