Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I was wrong actually. It has been confirmed that No Lift Shift IS on the Camaro.
Really? When did we learn this? I am spending way too much time away from this place.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #30
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I do believe the SS manual will have no-lift shift, but not LS/LTs. Just keep the pedal to the floor and punch the clutch when you want to shift. It keeps the engine RPMs steady at the point you hit the clutch, so you don't redline it in that instant with the gas pedal all the way down.
All right people, move on, nothing to see here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I was wrong actually. It has been confirmed that No Lift Shift IS on the Camaro.
WHAT!!!! LIES!!! Proof, Link, Anything. I do not believe you!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 AM   #31
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Traction Control: will get turned off right away whenever you get in the car.

I knew the 5th gen had to have something in common with the 4th gen.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 AM   #32
taz
Taz

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
is there a launch control for the auto SS?
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #33
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
is there a launch control for the auto SS?
Yes, It's called "power-braking"

Launch Control is really only useful for Manuals because it's very tricky to get the clutch / rpm's just right so that there's no wheel spin and you don't bog it down. I've raced my Z28 at the strip 10 times and only had one good launch. (I know, I suck).

You can Power-brake an automatic and get similar results - you just have to find what RPM value is the sweet spot (and hope the torque converter stall rating is above it). Just hold the brake with your left foot, rev the engine to the sweet spot, and quickly release the brake, then floor it. That's the only time I wish I had an automatic. Much easier to launch.

Does anyone know if the Launch control RPM value is editable? Like if I get some sticky tires, a few bolt-ons, etc and want to launch at a higher engine speed?

Last edited by Camar0wn3d; 02-26-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #34
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
it's in one of the DIC menus. the traction control is a separate system
The launch control in the Cobalt SS is with traction control in the competetive mode. Don't know if they put it with the DIC in the Camaro, but in the Cobalt is not in the DIC, it is set in competetive mode with the traction control button!

Last edited by Silver Streak; 02-26-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #35
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post
Yes, It's called "power-braking"

Launch Control is really only useful for Manuals because it's very tricky to get the clutch / rpm's just right so that there's no wheel spin and you don't bog it down. I've raced my Z28 at the strip 10 times and only had one good launch. (I know, I suck).

You can Power-brake an automatic and get similar results - you just have to find what RPM value is the sweet spot (and hope the torque converter stall rating is above it). Just hold the brake with your left foot, rev the engine to the sweet spot, and quickly release the brake, then floor it. That's the only time I wish I had an automatic. Much easier to launch.

Does anyone know if the Launch control RPM value is editable? Like if I get some sticky tires, a few bolt-ons, etc and want to launch at a higher engine speed?
It is not easy to hit the sweet spot everytime doing it yourself, and launch control set correctly can be a awesome feature to have. The problem I have is if it is set like the cobalt it will probably be set to break traction instead of hooking up. The Cobalt is set about 2800 rpms too fast. I think from the factory they do this because if you break traction instead of hooking up, it is much easier on the clutch but that is just IMO. I haven't had any tuning on my car so I don't know if you could adjust the factory settings or not. If you could, you could set it to optimal performance and get a good launch everytime. I hope that is the case, otherwise you will get better launches doing it yourself.
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote