Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Question about the V6...

I'd imagine the 3.6L V6 will return in one form or another, as it's being used by new ATS.

Has there been any word if both the naturally aspirated V6, and the twin turbo V6 (from the ATS-V) will be offered?

Also, I read that the ATS-V's V6TT puts out 420HP+, so I expect to see lots of "it makes as much as the last gen's SS!" comments in the future.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Has there been any word if both the naturally aspirated V6, and the twin turbo V6 (from the ATS-V) will be offered?
The scuttlebutt is that the new Camaro will get the updated 'LGX' version of the NA V6. The conventional wisdom around these parts is that the new Camaro will NOT get the twin-turbo V6 because that mill has too much overlap with the V8 while offering no real advantages in terms of power or fuel economy.

We shall see...
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
The scuttlebutt is that the new Camaro will get the updated 'LGX' version of the NA V6. The conventional wisdom around these parts is that the new Camaro will NOT get the twin-turbo V6 because that mill has too much overlap with the V8 while offering no real advantages in terms of power or fuel economy.

We shall see...
Hmm, that makes sense, in that the ATS (I'd imagine) could house a V8, but so far has not. Having different power plant configurations between the two keeps it from being a Camaro/Firebird relationship.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
LGX. No LF3 or LF4.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
When and where are we going to get more information on this LGX? That has been burning in my mind for months....I can't wait to find out more about this new V6.

With some possible 2016 model year reveals coming in just a matter of months, I thought we may have heard more about the LGX by now, but guess not!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
So, any LGX updates?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Yeah nothing about lgx... I'm also hoping for cylinder deactivation on 6.. Enough to hit low mid 30 mpg
Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
KMPrenger

The new Buick concept has a next gen V6 in it. They don't say much about it, other than that it has cylinder deactivation. I believe this is the LGX.

I think Chevrolet will use the V6 as the engine to go up against the Mustang Ecoboost. It will likely get the same highway MPG, while making considerably more horsepower which is great for advertising's sake. The Ecoboost will make more torque though...no ifs about it, and of course when tuned, the Ecoboost makes big power, but I'm comparing stock numbers.

The Camaro should get an 8 speed, which should help to combat the Ecoboost's TQ advantage as well.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
So, any LGX updates?
Not even a peep.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:41 AM   #10
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
The conventional wisdom around these parts is that the new Camaro will NOT get the twin-turbo V6 because that mill has too much overlap with the V8 while offering no real advantages in terms of power or fuel economy.
...or weight, or reliability, or cost, or....

Am I the only one questioning the reasoning behind offering this engine at all, in any platform? Is it just that 1 or 2 increased mpg multiplied by a small fleet that can help an average enough to make a difference? Or are twin turbos just sexier to young executive types they are aiming for with the V-series?
Capricio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
...or weight, or reliability, or cost, or....

Am I the only one questioning the reasoning behind offering this engine at all, in any platform? Is it just that 1 or 2 increased mpg multiplied by a small fleet that can help an average enough to make a difference? Or are twin turbos just sexier to young executive types they are aiming for with the V-series?
I agree with your logic of the TTV6 offering no real benefits over the LT1, but it does three things in my mind: (1) it competes with the cars in its class better, namely the 4 series, (2) the car can be sold in the same price range as its competitors in places that tax by displacement, and (3) it can probably game the emissions tests in Europe in a way that the LT1 can't.

Plus I think that the general public just assumes that a V8 gets worse MPG and pollutes more than a V6.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #12
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Yeah nothing about lgx... I'm also hoping for cylinder deactivation on 6.. Enough to hit low mid 30 mpg
Got a question. What kind of highway mileage does the average V6 Camaro get? Long interstate drive for example. My 2010 Gen coupe GT 3.8 would get 33 mpg at 75 to 80 mph on a 100 mile interstate drive in warm weather. My 2013, same make, struggles to get even 30 and engine is geared to lower rpm than the 2010 was. I am planning on a 2016 2LT, 2016. Also hope we can see out of the next generation model.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If you look at the LF3 in the CTS V-sport vs. the LS3 in the SS, both automatic, both w/o cylinder deactivation. Both around 4,000 pounds, both around 415/420 HP. SS 4.5 seconds to 60, the CTS V-sport 4.6. 21 highway for the SS and 23 for the CTS V-sport.

But to offer both on the same car? Wayyyy to close. Plus I would wager that a double overhead cam, turboed, intercooled V6 would cost more than the LS3. 4 cams and 24 valves and all that machining is not inexpensive.

If we are lucky enough to see the new V6 at launch, and we may not be, it will probably resemble the Buick Avenir show car from Detroit. AFM with start stop. Start stop is only helping around town so City could go up 1 or so. AFM in the pushrod V6 in the Silverado results in 24 highway. Not too bad until you realize the 5.3 L V8 gets 23. Just shows the affect of aerodynamics, half of the fuel economy equation. So the miracle of the ng V6 will simply be to have AFM on an overhead cam engine.

But you have people clamoring for a 350 HP V6, which will not be very likely (although it would be sweet and I would certainly like to see it) and 33 or so MPG which might happen but only if the aerodynamics are right, with AFM, and magic tires. Oh and you won't get both.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

But you have people clamoring for a 350 HP V6, which will not be very likely (although it would be sweet and I would certainly like to see it) and 33 or so MPG which might happen but only if the aerodynamics are right, with AFM, and magic tires. Oh and you won't get both.
What about 335 HP and 32 MPG? lol

If the car doesn't launch with the new V6 I'll be a little disappointed, but I kind of agree, that it may not.

But the LFX is a good engine in my opinion, and maybe if they gave it a little power bump to say 330 HP and 285 TQ I'd be game for that too. I don't really care about the AFM or stop start, but would be a bonus for sure. I would just be bummed if the 16 had the LFX at 323 HP, and then the 17 has the LGX with say 340 HP. I don't want to wait to buy lol (yes I know..my problem..not GMs!)