Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Levischilz

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Maggie 2300

Could someone give me a basic rundown of what may be needed to reach mid 600's with a maggie on a ls3. My current research with guess is a cam and headers obv a tune and air intake.

Im also curious as to what setup in more detail this would take. If anyone might want to chime in on fuel and also which pulley. I would love to switch it to a cog driven rear so im not sure if the cog would be 1:1 rear or od rear going cog.

Do I need to buy a head rebuild kit if I need to pulley down? I've seen the rockers and springs etc and would be nice to know what would be needed to reach 650 ish in terms of (other) parts needed beyond the maggie.

If I cam does anyone have a good recommendation? Remember its a ls3 and honestly my cam would mostly be for its sound (obv power also).

I was really hoping to go TT but not sure I want to invest that much at this time. Its a street car not track. I was also hoping to not destroy fuel milage so the TT sounded good but I really dont put many miles its more fun than anything and I love the whine!

If anyone has any tips/feedback would love it. Wanted to point out that im in Denver, CO so alt is 5200 here which may bring problems. What would realistic numbers be with a maggie/cam/headers/cai for ls3. Thanks all

Levi

Last edited by Levischilz; 08-04-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Levischilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levischilz View Post
Could someone give me a basic rundown of what may be needed to reach mid 600's with a maggie on a ls3. My current research with guess is a cam and headers obv a tune and air intake.

Im also curious as to what setup in more detail this would take. If anyone might want to chime in on fuel and also which pulley. I would love to switch it to a cog driven rear so im not sure if the cog would be 1:1 rear or od rear going cog.

Do I need to buy a head rebuild kit if I need to pulley down? I've seen the rockers and springs etc and would be nice to know what would be needed to reach 650 ish in terms of (other) parts needed beyond the maggie.

If I cam does anyone have a good recommendation? Remember its a ls3 and honestly my cam would mostly be for its sound (obv power also).

I was really hoping to go TT but not sure I want to invest that much at this time. Its a street car not track. I was also hoping to not destroy fuel milage so the TT sounded good but I really dont put many miles its more fun than anything and I love the whine!

If anyone has any tips/feedback would love it. Wanted to point out that im in Denver, CO so alt is 5200 here which may bring problems. What would realistic numbers be with a maggie/cam/headers/cai for ls3. Thanks all

Levi
Got some reading to do, and you need to further narrow down your goals. But 650's with Maggy, you'll need a cam, and all the work that goes along with the cam (head bolts, springs, rods etc)
You'll lose boost off the cam, exhaust etc, so you will want to pulley down. Full bolt-ons (CAI, LTs, Exhaust) You'll need to address fuel needs, the stock pump will no make it to 650+ ... Many options available, I went with the ZL1, and when needed you can throw a BAP on it. Also the Maggy LS9 injectors will get maxed out, so you'll need some 65+ #HR injectors.

Maggy/cam/headers/cai for ls3 on stock pulley high 500's.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Levischilz

I've been reading for 6 months just hard to bite the bullet before you can clarify things.

Side note. Would a 650hp supercharged camaro be equal in the 1/4 mile vs a twin turbo 650hp camaro? If the cars are the same weight it would seem so except tt would pull at high side vs launch.

The supercharger seems like its so much better cost but the addons are killer. Some of the tt kits are making 650-700whp just from the kit.

SC needs head work,cam,headers,cai,pulleys,etc etc hard to pick a route.

Its nice to be able to work you way up with the PD blowers for mods but everytime I would buy a group of parts it would be back to the tuner.. lol
Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
BooSSted

I'mma street guy, I swear by TQ over HP. PD blowers are awesome, however a 650 SC vs TT car? Will come down to the drivers ability, traction etc. ECS kits are making big numbers if a high HP supercharged car is your idea. ECS has arguably one of the best bang for buck set ups. SC doesn't need head work until you throw in the cam. Get upwards of 600+rwhp isn't as easy as those make it out to be. Its a serious upgrade, and I assume you value your car so money well spent on supporting mods to ensure longevity is very important.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
NoMercy

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Mods are in my sig. She made 660 rwhp and 611 rwtq.
Magnuson TVS 2300, 16% OD rear pullies(stock 3.8 on front jackshaft), Vector Motorsports 2.5 cam, hardened push rods, titanium retainers, patriot gold double springs, Dynatech 1 7/8 Longtube headers, gutted cats, F.A.S.T. 90lb. injectors, Lonnie's double pumper fuel pump, ZR1 Plugs, Airade cai, HP tuned by East Texas Musclecars. 660 rwhp / 611 rwtq
NoMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
If you want a Maggie blown car in the 650 RWHP range, expect to pay around $40K+ on top of your car, if you want to do it right and have a dependable car for a long period of time. Suspension, rear end, axles, clutch, cam, engine internals, headers, 8 Rib pulley set up, Meth, injectors, fuel pump, etc... it all adds up if you want to make it as bullet proof as possible. I have about $100K in receipts (including the car) and I'm a bit over 700 RWHP. If you don't do it right the first time, you'll just start breaking stuff eventually, I didn't want to go that route, so that's why I basically didn't have my car for 10+ months while it was being built.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
650 actual in denver? Maggie will probably never make that. 650rwhp on TT setup, just dial in the boost until it hits it, done. Want 700 later, turn it up a twist. What 750 later, turn the knob, want 800....

At high elevation turbos are definately the way to go because the wastegate compensated boost will help over come the elevation. If you run a 10psi pulley on a blower you may get 7-8psi, then you pulley down to get 10, spin the blower even harder out of the efficency range, higher IATs, and when you go to sea level are overboosting. Or you get turbos and hit 10psi no matter what.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Levischilz

Ya, I was feeling that may be the case in denver being a mile up. I know another member built a 417 and but a blower and cant get it to boost enough (also the larger block). Guess ill keep saving! lol
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
BooSSted

Plenty of FI cars killing it in CO.