Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Yeah, I bought my '70 convertible in '89 for what it would have cost in '69 when new

In other words: I got ripped off! 20 years of problems fixed by dummies that I had to correct + the asking price. But it was a fun car and I was young and dumb. Now I'm just dumb.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
lmao @ those saying never. It might take a very long time, but eventually they will. Or are you telling me one thats still in good condition and restored 100 years from now won't be worth anything?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #31
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Mine is worth a lot to me now and that's what matters to me.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #32
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
lmao @ those saying never. It might take a very long time, but eventually they will. Or are you telling me one thats still in good condition and restored 100 years from now won't be worth anything?
I was in the classic car hobby 20 years. Everyone thought their old car was worth $$$ regardless of condition. I was sorely tempted by a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr. Fairly rare as cars go, but 20 grand in crates and cardboard boxes? I'd pay five in that condition. Old hunk of shit Lincoln that might not even be a complete car? Pfft. The reply was "you don't see them every day". Yeah, I said, and you hardly ever see a 1980 Le Car today either, they must be worth a million!

A car in good condition that is old can be worth some good money. But for a seller, things like the cost of restoration can make return on investment a pipe dream. What is worth more to many collectors is the 'time capsule' car that is original and in new condition regarding all original equipment including paper tags and inspection marks, etc. The old story is true: a car is original only once. restoration can actually make the car better than new, which is great, but that takes the car further from its ideal. The collector car hobby is a little screwy. I didn't care too much about matching numbers etc. A 1970 Chevy rear end in my 1970 Buick? Sign me up, it's a 12 bolt, lol

Then there's the fact that it might be worth every penny you think it is on paper, and nobody wants to buy it, or nobody wants to buy it for that price. You can sit on a collector car for years trying to get the last 5 grand you want to get. The cars that are 'always in demand' are not run of the mill cars, and to be honest, a 2013 2SS is pretty run of the mill. There's nothing innovative or remarkable about it, and many were produced. It represents nothing in terms of automotive achievement or holding a standout identity.

the thing we have to look back on- the classic muscle car market- is artificially inflated. A 1965 Mustang was a royal piece of shit new. Badly made buckets of bolts. A really nice one can set you back some cake today. They made a LOT of those cars. But those cars were iconic

What about the new Camaro (except for ZL-1 models, etc) makes it stand out as important or something that will culturally be a touchstone in the future? I'm not seeing the hook.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #33
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
My Camaro is certainly not my retirement plan...just wondering how long it will take for them to be looked at as a classic collectible and not looked at and as a whatever many year old car with whatever many miles on it. Not to start a pony war on the subject but I think it will happen with the Camaro before it happens with the Mustang because there are sooo many Mustangs out there and signifant improvements front the first retro mustang to present. It will also probably happen with the Challenger before it happens with the Camaro. Moreover, I don't think the following years Camaro SS are any better from a collector standpoint than the 2010. The 2010 will be the "return of the Camaro" car then the other collectors will be the 1LE, the ZL1 obviously and now the Z28. The 6th Gen Camaro is the first step in creating the classic status of 5th Gen. I kinda hope they are significantly different looking.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Gain value by driving it. Lt's ,,,SS's ,,,,, even ZL1's. Oops 1LE ,,,,Z28 ,,,,,Copo also !!!! Drive it ,,,it will wear out. Store it.,,,,it will dry out take your choice . Value not in our lifetime. Better buy gold or silver!?!?!?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #35
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Its all about supply and demand. Just like the 60s muscle cars, today's cars will not begin to appreciate until the vast majority of them are used up an in junk yards. Only when very few are left will they begin to appreciate again, with only those in rather good condition doing so.

And while there may be a point where these cars will start to appreciate, I wouldn't ever count on them exploding in value like some of the older stuff out there does. That has more to do with there being an entire generation of baby boomers with lots of money psychologically incapable of accepting that they are not 20, and it is not 1968 anymore fighting for a limited supply of cars as if having one will make them 20 and the year 1968 again.

Don't expect the same to happen with this generation, as overall, a lower percentage of them are as interested in cars, and two, even fewer of them can afford today's muscle cars, meaning in 30 years, fewer of them will be buying them out of having a mid- to late life crisis.

Spot on! Best to enjoy the cars and not worry about worth later, these cars are an emotional investment.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
S-eatin-grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Spot on! Best to enjoy the cars and not worry about worth later, these cars are an emotional investment.
Agreed... I do enjoy it on nice days for about 3-4000 miles each year, but am going to try to make mine last a lifetime...maybe pass it on to my kid or grandchild someday looking still like it rolled off the showroom floor. I don't care what that will be...700 hundred horses will still be making 'em grin
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #37

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Doubt we'll see a market for these like with the 1stGens....Something thought to be collectable from the beginning usually doesn't turn out that way, unless it's super-rare and unique....Even what we see now as collectable in the first Gens are rare combo, highly optioned models that were not made in great numbers, even back then...

....These 5th Gens are nice, don't get me wrong, I love mine...but pretty much they are basically all the same and won't have the collectable vibe like the first Gen...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
an 85 Z28 is 28 years old. they are 2 for a dollar. my opinion. . .
15 minutes past never.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
S-eatin-grin

I agree...an 85 Z28 does nothing for me either (no offense to anyone that owns one) I think this Gen of Camaro is a significantly different car...The retro theme is kinda unique. Yes there are others like the thunderbird and the SSR but those kinda flopped. Consumers were screaming for these cars (Mustand, Challenger, Camaro, Chevelle, Firebird) to be built for years. Still a shame the Firebird never made it. Now THAT would have been a collectible if GM would have made 1 year of T-top Firebird before Pontiac folded...oh well, shit happens.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #40
GYac

Drives: 2010 2SS
I'm not in this for the value, i'm in this because i love my car and intend to keep it for many, many years. If i wanted a car that gain that much vaule i would have gone back in time and bought an 87 GNX and parked in my garage.

NADA a 1987 GNX, the numbers will blow your mind.
GYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #41
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Since I saw six while going to the gas station....two miles away....never. Too popular.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #42
Rancod

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels 2LT Vert
If you look at the less popular Tbirds from 02, they have hit bottom for the most part. I would say in 10 more years the PCR or the 50th Anniversaries might go up in value.
Rancod is offline   Reply With Quote