Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #43
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I was in the classic car hobby 20 years. Everyone thought their old car was worth $$$ regardless of condition. I was sorely tempted by a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr. Fairly rare as cars go, but 20 grand in crates and cardboard boxes? I'd pay five in that condition. Old hunk of shit Lincoln that might not even be a complete car? Pfft. The reply was "you don't see them every day". Yeah, I said, and you hardly ever see a 1980 Le Car today either, they must be worth a million!

A car in good condition that is old can be worth some good money. But for a seller, things like the cost of restoration can make return on investment a pipe dream. What is worth more to many collectors is the 'time capsule' car that is original and in new condition regarding all original equipment including paper tags and inspection marks, etc. The old story is true: a car is original only once. restoration can actually make the car better than new, which is great, but that takes the car further from its ideal. The collector car hobby is a little screwy. I didn't care too much about matching numbers etc. A 1970 Chevy rear end in my 1970 Buick? Sign me up, it's a 12 bolt, lol

Then there's the fact that it might be worth every penny you think it is on paper, and nobody wants to buy it, or nobody wants to buy it for that price. You can sit on a collector car for years trying to get the last 5 grand you want to get. The cars that are 'always in demand' are not run of the mill cars, and to be honest, a 2013 2SS is pretty run of the mill. There's nothing innovative or remarkable about it, and many were produced. It represents nothing in terms of automotive achievement or holding a standout identity.

the thing we have to look back on- the classic muscle car market- is artificially inflated. A 1965 Mustang was a royal piece of shit new. Badly made buckets of bolts. A really nice one can set you back some cake today. They made a LOT of those cars. But those cars were iconic

What about the new Camaro (except for ZL-1 models, etc) makes it stand out as important or something that will culturally be a touchstone in the future? I'm not seeing the hook.
Very well put. Makes sense.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Was just thinking about how low the value of a 2010 SS in great condition will go before it starts to climb again due to being a "classic". I remember the 67 Camaro could be found in an autotrader mag in the late 80's for around 4k in decent ready to fix up condition. That's probably about 7-8K in today's money. Will it take 25 years for these to appreciate? Like to know what everyone thinks.
Before these cars gain value? Maybe the year 6010. Too many made, to much rust proofing and long lived drive trains to become collectors items
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #45
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fast_one View Post
Never
this.

things that gain value are items that were made in very limited numbers for a short period of time because nobody wanted them at the time. and because of that lack of demand, the ones that did exist were not taken care of and/or scrapped.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #46
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Not true at all. Do you realize they made twice as many '69 Camaro's as they did 2010 and 2011's combined?

http://www.camaro-registry.com/production.htm
Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #47
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Not true at all. Do you realize they made twice as many '69 Camaro's as they did 2010 and 2011's combined?

that's called an outlier
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #48
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I was in the classic car hobby 20 years. Everyone thought their old car was worth $$$ regardless of condition. I was sorely tempted by a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr. Fairly rare as cars go, but 20 grand in crates and cardboard boxes? I'd pay five in that condition. Old hunk of shit Lincoln that might not even be a complete car? Pfft. The reply was "you don't see them every day". Yeah, I said, and you hardly ever see a 1980 Le Car today either, they must be worth a million!

A car in good condition that is old can be worth some good money. But for a seller, things like the cost of restoration can make return on investment a pipe dream. What is worth more to many collectors is the 'time capsule' car that is original and in new condition regarding all original equipment including paper tags and inspection marks, etc. The old story is true: a car is original only once. restoration can actually make the car better than new, which is great, but that takes the car further from its ideal. The collector car hobby is a little screwy. I didn't care too much about matching numbers etc. A 1970 Chevy rear end in my 1970 Buick? Sign me up, it's a 12 bolt, lol

Then there's the fact that it might be worth every penny you think it is on paper, and nobody wants to buy it, or nobody wants to buy it for that price. You can sit on a collector car for years trying to get the last 5 grand you want to get. The cars that are 'always in demand' are not run of the mill cars, and to be honest, a 2013 2SS is pretty run of the mill. There's nothing innovative or remarkable about it, and many were produced. It represents nothing in terms of automotive achievement or holding a standout identity.

the thing we have to look back on- the classic muscle car market- is artificially inflated. A 1965 Mustang was a royal piece of shit new. Badly made buckets of bolts. A really nice one can set you back some cake today. They made a LOT of those cars. But those cars were iconic

What about the new Camaro (except for ZL-1 models, etc) makes it stand out as important or something that will culturally be a touchstone in the future? I'm not seeing the hook.
What about a Yugo? Now that is a real classic!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #49
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:

BUT: 69's rusted on the dealer showroom, the engines wore out quickly, and the body panels never fit right. Today's Camaro is well rust proofed, the engines will last hundreds of thousands of miles if maintained, and everything fit right. Collector's item? Not in the cards.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Was just thinking about how low the value of a 2010 SS in great condition will go before it starts to climb again due to being a "classic". I remember the 67 Camaro could be found in an autotrader mag in the late 80's for around 4k in decent ready to fix up condition. That's probably about 7-8K in today's money. Will it take 25 years for these to appreciate? Like to know what everyone thinks.
It'll be worth about $500000 in yr 3050. I'm ready for that yr to come! It'll be awesome!!!

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #51
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
It cracks me up that some of you think so few first gen Camaros were made compared to fifth gen. Look at the production numbers for 67 thru 69

Over 200k first gen per year. I don't know the exact numbers for 5th, but I suspect they are barely cracking 100k per year. However, I think several of you have made great points about why the value of 5th won't increase, and I agree. Don't buy this car as an investment.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #52
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Quote:

Ha, I missed your post and just posted the same link.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #53
Learjetguru

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
Car's are and allway's will be the worst return on investment. Just enjoy the ride

Learjetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #54
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
i hope the ss will gain value years from now i really just don't see it though but the z/28 i think might be different but who knows i say just enjoy the ride and dont worry about it jmo.
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #55
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I see ZL1's appreciating in value eventually, especially low mileage cars. The 1LE has potential too (again, low mileage). The problem is it will take 25+ years. The Z/28 has the best chances of going up in value. It will probably start in less than 25 years too.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #56
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I see ZL1's appreciating in value eventually, especially low mileage cars. The 1LE has potential too (again, low mileage). The problem is it will take 25+ years. The Z/28 has the best chances of going up in value. It will probably start in less than 25 years too.
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote