Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #29
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
The tires on the ZL1 1LE are a new Goodyear Supercar 3R R compound track tire with a 80 treadwear. Slicks would be the next step for a faster lap.
That motor in a gen 5 Z on OEM rubber and you would be shocked at the time, like 09's IMO
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #30
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Guys, I hate to see so many saying, "yeah but if our car had this or that"...That's not what the Z/28 is. It's a car that is down on power compared to cars that cost 3 and 4 times as much, with more horsepower, and it can hang on any track with those cars.

The ZL1 1LE is an amazing car for the money. Let's just marvel at that. Saying stuff like "put that motor in the Z/28" tends to sound a bit jealous.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #31
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
Guys, I hate to see so many saying, "yeah but if our car had this or that"...That's not what the Z/28 is. It's a car that is down on power compared to cars that cost 3 and 4 times as much, with more horsepower, and it can hang on any track with those cars.

The ZL1 1LE is an amazing car for the money. Let's just marvel at that. Saying stuff like "put that motor in the Z/28" tends to sound a bit jealous.
Concur......I have no issue saying the ZL1 1LE is better in every way than my beloved Z/28, period, end of story. It better be.....next generation car with next generation technology. Well done Chevy......I'm just psyched American companies are making some of the best performance cars in the world, and arguably THE Best performance for the money, bar none!
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #32
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
Concur......I have no issue saying the ZL1 1LE is better in every way than my beloved Z/28, period, end of story. It better be.....next generation car with next generation technology. Well done Chevy......I'm just psyched American companies are making some of the best performance cars in the world, and arguably THE Best performance for the money, bar none!
I mostly agree. Cars are systems and you have to treat them that way -- the best effort the engineers could make given the constraints of their resources...

BUT -- though in awe of what Team Camaro has done on the ZL1 1LE, I want to hear what happens during/after a full track day in the heat at COTA or Thunderhill. I realize they've supposedly addressed the Corvette's issues in this car but I don't fully trust supercharged cars on track, running flat out in a 25-minute session.

That's one of the things that makes the Z/28 great; is strong, like bull!
Old 06-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #33
LateBrakeU2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post

Your missing the point, they built that car to do one lap a the ring because it's become the viral benchmark to sell performance cars to people who will never be able to turn a lap like that, but can brag about it at car shows. Listen to the understeer on that video,then go back and watch the Z's lap. There's time in that lap.They didn't win back to back Conti championships for nothing. Hardly jealous,these cars are an enigma to most, including some owners.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #34
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Your missing the point, they built that car to do one lap a the ring because it's become the viral benchmark to sell performance cars to people who will never be able to turn a lap like that, but can brag about it at car shows. Listen to the understeer on that video,then go back and watch the Z's lap. There's time in that lap.They didn't win back to back Conti championships for nothing. Hardly jealous,these cars are an enigma to most, including some owners.
Are you serious?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #35
LateBrakeU2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Are you serious?
Quite serious, my frame of reference might not be that of yours. Did you know he had done 125 laps in that car prior?. Notice any other cars on the track during that run? How many of the other laps did the car get heat soak? These ring videos while impressive to most, have huge gaps in accuracy due to many factors. It's become huge from a branding standpoint. Like the other posted stated the Z is virtually bulletproof, that's how you win championships.

Keepin it real..
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-thing-period/

Last edited by LateBrakeU2; 06-24-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #36
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Quite serious, my frame of reference might not be that of yours. Did you know he had done 125 laps in that car prior?. Notice any other cars on the track during that run? How many of the other laps did the car get heat soak? These ring videos while impressive to most, have huge gaps in accuracy due to many factors. It's become huge from a branding standpoint. Like the other posted stated the Z is virtually bulletproof, that's how you win championships.

Keepin it real..
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-thing-period/
My frame of reference... great drive, and pretty impressive no matter how many times he may have made the lap! They do the same prep for Isle Of Man TT Race too, take as many laps as they can to prep for the course. Practice makes perfect! Next, taken directly from the article you read before your post as well... "I’m certain that the ZL1 1LE is a very fast car. It has all the numbers in its favor and it was developed by some of the best and most committed performance engineers in the world."

Old 06-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #37
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Agree w/ much of what LakeBrake is saying... Ring times are for marketing. Hard to compare 2 cars w/ different drivers, temp and road surface conditions, tires, etc. Still, it's fun debate this from behind our keyboards!

No doubt the Z/28 could've been pushed harder, but it wasn't like it wasn't pushed pretty damn hard. Plenty of tire squealing going on. In comparing the 2 vids... the Z/28 was roughly 12 seconds behind before it began to rain.

Maybe, on a really good day, the Z/28 did run a 7:25. Maybe, the ZL1 1LE could run even faster than it did on that run. Who knows.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #38
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
Quote:
No. It has the one thing yours doesn't, if even you match HP/TQ, driver, weather conditions, if's and but's... the 1LE package.

Just look at Willow Springs numbers... and the SS is down by how much HP/TQ and no carbon ceramic brakes?

Camaro SS 1LE Package 1:28.29

Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 1:28.40
Both cars run almost the same time 0-150 based on the Hennessey Videos.

It is very clear that the Z/28 can bolt on 150-200 horsepower depending on how much camshaft you are willing to run. (clearly not stock).
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #39
LateBrakeU2

Thumbs up

Quote:
My frame of reference... great drive, and pretty impressive no matter how many times he may have made the lap! They do the same prep for Isle Of Man TT Race too, take as many laps as they can to prep for the course. Practice makes perfect! Next, taken directly from the article you read before your post as well... "I’m certain that the ZL1 1LE is a very fast car. It has all the numbers in its favor and it was developed by some of the best and most committed performance engineers in the world."
My frame of reference is from winning races. This is being lost in translation,i read that article after I posted and edited it to include it. It's a great car Peace out
Old 06-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #40
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Well, there are a lot of varying opinions about this issue...for sure. I look at it all this way...

I bought my '15 Z because I really love the body style, in how it mimics the '69 Z, plus all it's features, including the brakes, handling capability, 427 N/A motor, close-ratio manual trans, rear end ratio, no exotic frills, and the fact that it was a very low numbers production vehicle. In short, I bought a car that performed, bone stock, far better than my 60's/70's era cars could perform, after spending tons of $$$$$$$$ on them.

I'm never going to be racing again, so I don't mind that other newer cars may be faster. There is always a faster car out there. Anyone who doesn't think their current car isn't going to be outdone by a newer model, IMHO, is just not seeing the current trend of performance marketing by Detroit and foreign performance makers.

It's all good...the competition will bring improvements for sure. The new ZL1 1LE is a very nice performance package, and will be a success. I just don't like the looks as much as some folks might. But I know for sure, my Z/28 will remain with me as my last car...

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #41
ksupkt87

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
Well, there are a lot of varying opinions about this issue...for sure. I look at it all this way...

I bought my '15 Z because I really love the body style, in how it mimics the '69 Z, plus all it's features, including the brakes, handling capability, 427 N/A motor, close-ratio manual trans, rear end ratio, no exotic frills, and the fact that it was a very low numbers production vehicle. In short, I bought a car that performed, bone stock, far better than my 60's/70's era cars could perform, after spending tons of $$$$$$$$ on them.

I'm never going to be racing again, so I don't mind that other newer cars may be faster. There is always a faster car out there. Anyone who doesn't think their current car isn't going to be outdone by a newer model, IMHO, is just not seeing the current trend of performance marketing by Detroit and foreign performance makers.

It's all good...the competition will bring improvements for sure. The new ZL1 1LE is a very nice performance package, and will be a success. I just don't like the looks as much as some folks might. But I know for sure, my Z/28 will remain with me as my last car...

JJ
I agree and your first paragraph is about what I was going post as well. The manufacturers will continue to build faster cars but our 427's will always maintain a strong position in Camaro history. They will be sought after cars in a few years.
ksupkt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #42
sherob

I also agree the z28 is an amazing car for a NA build, an it does an absolutely amazing job on the track!

But to those who moan about it compared to the ZL1 1LE... the "if's" and "but's"... it's just two totally different platforms, comparing apples and oranges... yes they are both fruits, and they come from a tree, and they have seeds... but that's about it.

I have a lowly SS/1LE... I'm sitting here watching both the z28 and the new ZL1 1LE with awe, desire, and respect.

Give the new platform to win those races.