Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
dcoates18481

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RALLY YELLOW SS/RS/M6
SCT SF3 datalogging questions

when looking at a datalog from a SCT SF3 , what are the most monitored parameters and what to look for?

i dont have a screenshot yet, but if someone has one who can explain what they mean would help me understand this a little better.
eventually i will get to the point where i know what to look for, just need a nudge in the right direction.
Thanks.

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
dcoates18481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
dcoates18481

Anyone have a comment ? please???

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
What do you plan to do if you scan the ECM? If you do not know tuning, it best left to the guys that do. Are you scanning to change some PID or are you giving that info to a tuner.
Tuning is not easy and you have to know what you are doing before you change anything.
You will need tuning SW and a wide band to do tuning right, or just buy a tune that is made for your car.

The most looked at items are Lambda, fuel trims, knock retard and many others. If you do not have a WB O2 then your are not doing much.

It take many hours of education to attempt a tune. It is not a easy thing to do.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
dcoates18481

i dont plan on tuning my own, just want to understand what to look for when things are changed.

i will be datalogging for my tuner, just thought someone here could point me in the right direction to see where the differences are in the tunes, and how to understand them.
Didn't happen...

Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Skylane765

It is all different for each car. WOT you want to be rich of lambda and cruse you want lambda 1. But you need a wide band hooked up to see it with HPtuners.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
It is all different for each car. WOT you want to be rich of lambda and cruse you want lambda 1. But you need a wide band hooked up to see it with HPtuners.
Your tuner will tell you what to log.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
dcoates18481

is there someone or something that can educate me what the readings are or mean??? a book, i just would like to know what they all mean..or is it secret???

Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoates18481 View Post
when looking at a datalog from a SCT SF3 , what are the most monitored parameters and what to look for?

i dont have a screenshot yet, but if someone has one who can explain what they mean would help me understand this a little better.
eventually i will get to the point where i know what to look for, just need a nudge in the right direction.
Thanks.
Does this Help?

Engine RPM - RPM
MAP-Intkman abs prss
FUEL PRESSURE
ECT engine coolant temp – ecteng clt tmp
TPS throttle position or pedal position – acc pdl pos 1s
IAT intake air temp or Air intake temp – intk Airtmp
MAF Mass Air flow Hz – Maffre 125
TIMING spark cylinder 1 – ign Tim Adv4#1cyl
KNOCK RETARD – knk ret
Vehicle speed Kph–?
Long Term Fuel Trim bank 1 – ltf tri b1
Long Term Fuel Trim bank 2 – ltf tri b2
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
dcoates18481

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Does this Help?

Engine RPM - RPM
MAP-Intkman abs prss
FUEL PRESSURE
ECT engine coolant temp – ecteng clt tmp
TPS throttle position or pedal position – acc pdl pos 1s
IAT intake air temp or Air intake temp – intk Airtmp
MAF Mass Air flow Hz – Maffre 125
TIMING spark cylinder 1 – ign Tim Adv4#1cyl
KNOCK RETARD – knk ret
Vehicle speed Kph–?
Long Term Fuel Trim bank 1 – ltf tri b1
Long Term Fuel Trim bank 2 – ltf tri b2

I know theres probably no cut and dried answer to this, i understand the above parameters are the ones most useful when Skilled tuners do their work, at what point do the readings become Detrimental to the engine is what i would like to know... as i said..probably no cut and dried answer.

i would like to be able to look at a log someday and understand what it is i'm looking at and any erroneous or detrimental readings.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoates18481 View Post
I know theres probably no cut and dried answer to this, i understand the above parameters are the ones most useful when Skilled tuners do their work, at what point do the readings become Detrimental to the engine is what i would like to know... as i said..probably no cut and dried answer.

i would like to be able to look at a log someday and understand what it is i'm looking at and any erroneous or detrimental readings.
Your right I could write a book on it, best to let me look at the data.

There should be nothing even remotely close to hurting the engine If I tuned it.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
dcoates18481

It has nothing to do with your tune Ted!!!! Thats freakin awesome!

I'm just trying to understand how the process works.
my tune is fine,

i guess what i really need is some kind of literature that explains the process and what the sensors actually do and how they do it. highs lows etc.

not trying to tune my own vehicles by no means.....just trying to educate myself.