Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Any negatives to running BMR sways on "stiffest" setting on the street?

I'm having BMR springs and sways installed on Monday, and the way I see it, since I'm paying for aftermarket suspension upgrades, I might as well use the "stiffest" sway bar setting. Is anyone running this "stiff" setting on the street? Any issues? I want the handling to improve as much as possible, but I also understand that TOO tight of a back end will start to hurt handling. Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: I'm mainly looking to help (hopefully eliminate) the understeer, it drives me nuts, and will be doing autocross events every few months if this helps.

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I'm not a suspension expert but sway bars do not change the ride quality of the car. Sways reduce the amount of body roll in turns. The ride quality will change from the springs.
Having your sways on the most aggressive setting will increase the chances of oversteer in turns (which is more desireable than understeer). When you're at the autocross, you'll have to use the throttle to help steer the car correctly.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I'm not a suspension expert but sway bars do not change the ride quality of the car. Sways reduce the amount of body roll in turns. The ride quality will change from the springs.
Having your sways on the most aggressive setting will increase the chances of oversteer in turns (which is more desireable than understeer). When you're at the autocross, you'll have to use the throttle to help steer the car correctly.
Sorry but sway bars do in fact change the quality of the ride

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
I'm having BMR springs and sways installed on Monday, and the way I see it, since I'm paying for aftermarket suspension upgrades, I might as well use the "stiffest" sway bar setting. Is anyone running this "stiff" setting on the street? Any issues? I want the handling to improve as much as possible, but I also understand that TOO tight of a back end will start to hurt handling. Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: I'm mainly looking to help (hopefully eliminate) the understeer, it drives me nuts, and will be doing autocross events every few months if this helps.
I suggest playing with the settings and see what works best for you, your tire selection and your driving style. For me, I think I would try them at middle/middle first and go from there. If you want more oversteer (which you probably will for AutoX ) go to the next stiffest setting on the rear or softer up front. Going too stiff up front will only result more understeer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Sorry but sway bars do in fact change the quality of the ride
They only time they effect ride quality in a negative way is when a bump is hit on one side of the car that is unequal to the other side of the car. Being on a stiffer bar/setting will intensify this. As far as cruising down the road on a flat surface, you would never notice a difference until you turn or like I said hit a bump on one side.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Bmatth1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
I suggest playing with the settings and see what works best for you, your tire selection and your driving style. For me, I think I would try them at middle/middle first and go from there. If you want more oversteer (which you probably will for AutoX ) go to the next stiffest setting on the rear or softer up front. Going too stiff up front will only result more understeer.
Thanks. I have no problem throttle steering the car, I've learned how to do this with my mustangs (they LOVED to oversteer). What if I ran the front sway bar in the middle setting and the rear sway bar on the stiffest setting? Would this most effectively get rid of understeer while at the same time allowing for some oversteer? Thanks

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
I have been running them on the stiffer setting ever since the install done by Kyle at BMR...i like it!!

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
The biggest issue I have with my upgraded sways and endlinks is tripoding when going over an uneven surface.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Quote:
Thanks. I have no problem throttle steering the car, I've learned how to do this with my mustangs (they LOVED to oversteer). What if I ran the front sway bar in the middle setting and the rear sway bar on the stiffest setting? Would this most effectively get rid of understeer while at the same time allowing for some oversteer? Thanks
Sounds like a good plan. But no better way to tell, than to try it and huck it around some corners!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 07-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Bmatth1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Sounds like a good plan. But no better way to tell, than to try it and huck it around some corners!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Oh no problem there, I'll give it a shot thanks!

I do believe you that too rigid of a front sway will cause understeer, but I'm having trouble understanding why? Can you please explain that a little bit? Thanks again

Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Quote:
Oh no problem there, I'll give it a shot thanks!

I do believe you that too rigid of a front sway will cause understeer, but I'm having trouble understanding why? Can you please explain that a little bit? Thanks again
It's a lot easier explaining it in person because I can use hand gestures, but I'll attempt anyway.

Basically, a sway bar's job is to use the weight of the other side of the vehicle to put torsion on the sway bar and lift the outside of the car to prevent it from "dipping down" or "rolling over" (body roll). When you have body roll, the tires on the outside of the turn get pushed down toward the road and the tires on the inside of the turn rise up.

When the sway bars are stiffened equally, there will not be a change in oversteer/understeer, only significantly less body roll. Now say you have a stiff rear bar and a soft front bar. This allow's the weight to transfer to the front outside tire and will reduce the weight on the rear inside tire in the turn. This gives you more front end grip and less rear grip and allows the vehicle to rotate around the turn. This is often referred to as "lift oversteer". Lift over steer in a RWD is not necessarily a good thing as you can usually make up for a little understeer it with a throttle steering. If you have too much oversteer, you are just going to spin out. The ultimate goal is to find a neutral balance so that when you are on the edge of traction in a turn, all tires will begin to let go evenly and not more so on the front (understeer) or the rear (oversteer).

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to call, PM or email me.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Too tight in the rear makes the car extremely prone to snap oversteer (especially if the front is soft). Full hard (1000%+ harder then stock) is most useful on R-comps, you won't ever see the traction levels with street tires to take advantage of it.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429 View Post
Too tight in the rear makes the car extremely prone to snap oversteer (especially if the front is soft). Full hard (1000%+ harder then stock) is most useful on R-comps, you won't ever see the traction levels with street tires to take advantage of it.
I had an '11 LS3 SS with the BMR adjustable sways. I started out with the middle setting. There was a little understeer, but it was easy to use a little power to overcome this. Had a track day with it like that and the Camaro represented well.

Later I went to the max setting and the car was dead neutral. But it was a little too easy to go into oversteer, so you had to be very careful. Maybe not snap, but it did make the adrenaline flow a few times. Later I was told that when you use the rear bar to overcome staggered tires, this is the effect you will see.

So I would start with the middle setting and get used to that first. It is easy to bump it up later if you want to try it.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #13
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I had an '11 LS3 SS with the BMR adjustable sways. I started out with the middle setting. There was a little understeer, but it was easy to use a little power to overcome this. Had a track day with it like that and the Camaro represented well.

Later I went to the max setting and the car was dead neutral. But it was a little too easy to go into oversteer, so you had to be very careful. Maybe not snap, but it did make the adrenaline flow a few times. Later I was told that when you use the rear bar to overcome staggered tires, this is the effect you will see.

So I would start with the middle setting and get used to that first. It is easy to bump it up later if you want to try it.
BMR's regular bar isn't super stiff on full hard, its only around 300% stiffer then stock. I'm talking in the 750%+ range like a lot of race bars are, and some drag bars as well.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429 View Post
BMR's regular bar isn't super stiff on full hard, its only around 300% stiffer then stock. I'm talking in the 750%+ range like a lot of race bars are, and some drag bars as well.
I was just saying it made the transition a bit touchy. IMO it's a good idea to get used to neutral slowly.