Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #43
Chip

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS '96 riv
i vote Camaro... but i am biased.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #44
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Why would anyone want the Hyundai Genesis Coupe to win 2 years in a row.
Sedan won last year. And unlike say the BMW 3 series sedan and coupe, the Genesis sedan and coupe have very little in common. The sedan is pure luxury, little performance; the coupe is the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Anyway, what the heck is up with that big smile on that Mazda? I think the designers were watching too much Herbie the Love Bug and Lightning McQueen in Cars while they came up with that idea! Nice smiley grill their. Could always paint that tongue red for customization I guess. Sheesh.
Supposedly the new front end is more aerodynamic, but the possibility you suggest is just as good. Mazda rarely places a foot wrong, but they sure did this time. Honda must be loving them for making their styling look reasonable.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #45
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica19 View Post
E-class, Camaro, Cts, Gt-500. I hate putting one foreign car in there. But that E-class is noce... But my vote would be the camaro!
Given your screen name you hate putting a foreign car in there because it is not American made right? So what about the Canadian built, Korean styled, Australian engineered Camaro?

Just a dream away
Old 06-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #46
Rob Vega

Drives: 94 SunBird w/350Camaro engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
In all honesty, I think the Genesis Coupe should get it. It represents such a giant leap for Hyundai, and a very good showing for their first performance car. Even if it isn't necessarily the best car, it is no doubt significant.
well the genesis coupe is pretty much the tiburon just spit shined and renamed and as for a "first" (wanna be) performance car they have tried for years and failed. but as a fan of the CAMARO it gets my vote and i wont be surprised if it goes to some other (GAY SPACESHIP) of a hybrid known as the prius
Old 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #47
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Given your screen name you hate putting a foreign car in there because it is not American made right? So what about the Canadian built, Korean styled, Australian engineered Camaro?
Like anything else, we can agree to disagree, but given that it is called the "North American Car of the Year Award" it would be nice to see the 2010 Camaro as the front runner.

The Camaro is an American Icon. (North America) It is Canadian built (still North America). It was mostly designed Sangyup Lee, employed by GM Design (North America) and Holden has been a subsidiary of GM (North America) since 1931.

If you pick another car from the "NA Car of Year" list to win, so be it, but then why buy the Camaro?

Just another point of view. Enjoy.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #48
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
I think the Camaro will win or lose based on it's role in GM's comeback. Everyone has been saying for the last year that it will be the car that saves General Motors. If that comes to fruition, it'll win by a well-deserved landslide.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #49
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
If you pick another car from the "NA Car of Year" list to win, so be it, but then why buy the Camaro?
As I said earlier (clearly no one bothers to read anything I actually say before screaming "OMFGWTFBBQ!?!? Genesis boooo!!!!!") while I believe the Camaro is the superior car in many respects, it is my understanding that this award is as much about significance as it is superiority. A legitimate performance car from Korea is significant because it is a first. Never happened before. Tons of legitimate performance cars have come from America. That said, I am getting my Camaro (convertible) for very specific reasons. It will be a weekend/summer/day-trip cruiser, and as such comfort, power, decent performance, but most of all jaw-dropping, knee-weakening good distinct looks are of prime importance, and the Camaro delivers in those areas like no other car. Now if it were my daily driver, where efficiency, nimbleness, handling, easy of maneuverability and parking, visibility and practicality were more important than looks, the Hyundai would definitely be considered. Different tools for different jobs. That is why I will get a Camaro but think the Genesis should win the award.

By the way, the North American Car of the Year award isn't and has never been about where a car is made. It is simply for cars sold in North America voted on by judges who are from North America.

Just a dream away
Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #50
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Vega View Post
well the genesis coupe is pretty much the tiburon just spit shined and renamed and as for a "first" (wanna be) performance car they have tried for years and failed. but as a fan of the CAMARO it gets my vote and i wont be surprised if it goes to some other (GAY SPACESHIP) of a hybrid known as the prius
Do you even know what the Genesis coupe is? Or the Tiburon? Other than both are made by Hyundai and are coupes? While the Tiburon is FWD, the Genesis is RWD and on a completely different platform. That is exactly like saying the Camaro is just a spit shined and renamed Monte Carlo coupe. Think about it. And "wanna-be performance car"? Well, you might be interested to know the V6 Genesis Coupe outperforms the V6 Camaro, so that must make the V6 Camaro a "wanna be performance car" too. Finally, Hyundai has not "tried and failed" for years to get a performance car right. The Genesis coupe was their first real attempt, and they succeeded delightfully.

Just a dream away
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #51
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
While the Camaro has all the buzz in the automotive world right now, I don't see it winning this particular award. There are way too many quality issues with this car for it to be put up on a pedestal.

I know I will take heat for saying that, but unlike a lot of people who are willing to chalk the issues up to the Camaro being "first year model" car and letting it go because they are GM diehards. I have owned no less than 4 "first model year" cars over the past 10 years, of various make, and none of them exhibited as many or the types of issues that already plague the Gen5 Camaro. In fact, with 3 of those cars, I had NO issues in terms of quality.

Are any of the issues thus far major? No, and they are certainly not making me rethink my decision to buy a Gen5, but I doubt you will get the same level of oversight from a neutral party.

(Please proceed to bash the "Ford" guy if you must.)

Last edited by garagelogic; 06-24-2009 at 07:55 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #52
MuscleCarz

Drives: 5.4 3v
Quote:
As I said earlier (clearly no one bothers to read anything I actually say before screaming "OMFGWTFBBQ!?!? Genesis boooo!!!!!") while I believe the Camaro is the superior car in many respects, it is my understanding that this award is as much about significance as it is superiority. A legitimate performance car from Korea is significant because it is a first. Never happened before. Tons of legitimate performance cars have come from America. That said, I am getting my Camaro (convertible) for very specific reasons. It will be a weekend/summer/day-trip cruiser, and as such comfort, power, decent performance, but most of all jaw-dropping, knee-weakening good distinct looks are of prime importance, and the Camaro delivers in those areas like no other car. Now if it were my daily driver, where efficiency, nimbleness, handling, easy of maneuverability and parking, visibility and practicality were more important than looks, the Hyundai would definitely be considered. Different tools for different jobs. That is why I will get a Camaro but think the Genesis should win the award.

By the way, the North American Car of the Year award isn't and has never been about where a car is made. It is simply for cars sold in North America voted on by judges who are from North America.
This is the reason I think the Fusion Hybrid will win the award. The most patented car ever, with class leading MPG city and highway. Not too bad to go up against the Camry Hybrid and kick it's ass.
MuscleCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #53
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
In all honesty, I think the Genesis Coupe should get it. It represents such a giant leap for Hyundai, and a very good showing for their first performance car. Even if it isn't necessarily the best car, it is no doubt significant.
While I agree with what you say about the Genesis in regards to Hyundai...when there's a manufacturer-specific "best" award...then it can win. The car, when compared to others on the list, doesn't have what it takes. If it wins, I'll be very disappointed.

I think the Taurus + Hybrid stand a good chance...quite the impressive vehicle.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #54
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
My vote is the new Fusion Hybrid, or Taurus SHO. For the SHO, it depends if it has any QA issues
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #55
raptor_demon

Drives: 2009 Jetta SE
You would really hope that North American Car of the Year would be from North America.

I'd go for the Camaro but then I am bias.

Raptor
raptor_demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #56
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
...A legitimate performance car from Korea is significant because it is a first. Never happened before. Tons of legitimate performance cars have come from America... Now if it were my daily driver, where efficiency, nimbleness, handling, easy of maneuverability and parking, visibility and practicality were more important than looks, the Hyundai would definitely be considered.
Like I said, I agree to disagree. I would hope that the Genesis would win the International Car of The Year Award.

As you stated - this is the first performance car coming from Hyundai in Korea, therefore it has a great deal of significance to the auto industry. (I really do value your opinion. )

I would like to see North American awards stay with domestic makers while they remain going concerns. International Awards for foreign automakers. That is just my humble opinion.