Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
calmbryan

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS 2LS Motor
Replace Halogen with LEDs headlights

I tried searching through the forums for this but couldn't find an answer. Basically I want to get an LED headlight kit to replace my halogens on my 2015 LS. Just seeing if someone has done it and if it's plug and play, or if some kind of modification is needed. I did read some posts from years ago talking about how bad LED headlights are but I'm assuming it's 2017 and they should be good. Also, they seem to be the easier of the two install wise (HID and LED). Any and all comments appreciated

Current conversion kit Im looking to get if
https://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h...-kit.html?i=13
calmbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Using led on your car is illegal. It will blind oncoming cars very badly.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
calmbryan

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS 2LS Motor
then why the heck is it sold? hah
calmbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmbryan View Post
I tried searching through the forums for this but couldn't find an answer. Basically I want to get an LED headlight kit to replace my halogens on my 2015 LS. Just seeing if someone has done it and if it's plug and play, or if some kind of modification is needed. I did read some posts from years ago talking about how bad LED headlights are but I'm assuming it's 2017 and they should be good. Also, they seem to be the easier of the two install wise (HID and LED). Any and all comments appreciated

Current conversion kit Im looking to get if
https://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h...-kit.html?i=13
I have put LED kits on my snowmobiles and I'm not convinced that LED is better than halogen. They have better color and that is about all I think they have for advantages. HID will give better performance. The LED is just not up to par yet. Just my opinion. I'm a newbie and don't know schitt
ARCTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
There used by GM In The GMC high end truck headlights, I know have 2 or 3 sets of them open up, they use 7 LED for the low beam and 5 more for high beem.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #6
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
The op is talking about after market led not factory. Putting after market led into a standard halogen reflector housing is illegal. I've been blinded by them in the past and now carry a baseball bat so after they park I can fix the issue for them. I'm just nice like that.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
ARCTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
There used by GM In The GMC high end truck headlights, I know have 2 or 3 sets of them open up, they use 7 LED for the low beam and 5 more for high beem.
Uhh.... I have a 2017 GMC SLT and it has HID headlights. The LED is only the underline DRL brow. Copied from their website on the Denali (in case you don't think my SLT is high end):
Projector-beam headlamps with HID bulbs
LED signature front lighting
If you do not believe me you can read for yourself: http://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra-250...kup-truck.html

HID still beats LED in light output with the currently available technology.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
ARCTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Quote:
The op is talking about after market led not factory. Putting after market led into a standard halogen reflector housing is illegal. I've been blinded by them in the past and now carry a baseball bat so after they park I can fix the issue for them. I'm just nice like that.
I have never heard that it is illegal. As long as the bulbs are DOT approved you're GTG. You wouldn't fare very well in my crowd if you were caught working someone's vehicle over with a baseball bat. If you truly had a problem with their setup you'd confront them face to face to discuss. Beating on someone's car is chicken shit.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
Uhh.... I have a 2017 GMC SLT and it has HID headlights. The LED is only the underline DRL brow. Copied from their website on the Denali (in case you don't think my SLT is high end):
Projector-beam headlamps with HID bulbs
LED signature front lighting
If you do not believe me you can read for yourself: http://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra-250...kup-truck.html

HID still beats LED in light output with the currently available technology.

Uhh we sell both your SLE and the high end denali LED headlights, not only that we made the harness for them to work on your truck.

Your headlights the HID ones.

The high end ones (denali LED headlights)

Look at the back, no way to change out the bulbs, its sealed.

And here is what it looks like when you remove the high and low beam unit out of the headlight, hope you can see the LED in side the housing.

This is to teach something and not meant to show off, we sell a lot of truck lights and harness, the LED are the best better then the HID in the truck line
Old 04-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
I know that, but as you can see i was replying to a post, that post was from calmbryan, in response to your statement they where illegal, to that point we posted that GM puts them in the truck line, so there not illegal, was adding info is all.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
ARCTIC

Quote:
Uhh we sell both your SLE and the high end denali LED headlights, not only that we made the harness for them to work on your truck.

Your headlights the HID ones.

The high end ones (denali LED headlights)

Look at the back, no way to change out the bulbs, its sealed.

And here is what it looks like when you remove the high and low beam unit out of the headlight, hope you can see the LED in side the housing.

This is to teach something and not meant to show off, we sell a lot of truck lights and harness, the LED are the best better then the HID in the truck line

Ok... Now I'm officially confused. The 2017 GMC 2500HD DENALI has projector HID headlights. What trucks are you seeing that have LED headlights from the factory?
Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy

There used in the 2016-2017 DENALI 1500, now they make the same light with HID but the turn signal is not LED and this one is, we have lots of customers that have gone from the HD HID to the 1500LED headlights and love the amount of light they get from the new light.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Quote:
By that logic, this is sold, too, but are you actually supposed to use it?

https://tinyurl.com/zwqyvn4
(not super sfw)
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #14
ARCTIC

Quote:
There used in the 2016-2017 DENALI 1500, now they make the same light with HID but the turn signal is not LED and this one is, we have lots of customers that have gone from the HD HID to the 1500LED headlights and love the amount of light they get from the new light.
Well, I learned something today. Evidently the 2500HD Denali doesn't have them or the website is incorrect because it says HID as I quoted earlier.