Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Solo Mach XL cat delete

Anyone running a Solo MachXL without the cats? Just wondering how loud it is?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Yes, and it's not that loud. I do have cutouts, now when those are opened, it sounds like a NASCAR stock car.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Yes, and it's not that loud. I do have cutouts, now when those are opened, it sounds like a NASCAR stock car.
Great, I actually wouldn't mind it being a little louder, as long as it doesn't get ridiculous. I'll still have the Solo system on with their muffler.

I'm thinking ditching the cats is a smart idea since I've been reading a lot lately about how cats and blowers don't play well together. I will have to visually inspect them when I make the swap to see if there's any signs of failure, but even with them on, I smell more exhaust that I do on regular cars, and I did notice that there is a shit ton of heat coming up the sides of my car when I'm just sitting there with my arm out the window. I assuming a lot of that heat is probably radiating off the cats?

Old 07-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Great, I actually wouldn't mind it being a little louder, as long as it doesn't get ridiculous. I'll still have the Solo system on with their muffler.

I'm thinking ditching the cats is a smart idea since I've been reading a lot lately about how cats and blowers don't play well together. I will have to visually inspect them when I make the swap to see if there's any signs of failure, but even with them on, I smell more exhaust that I do on regular cars, and I did notice that there is a shit ton of heat coming up the sides of my car when I'm just sitting there with my arm out the window. I assuming a lot of that heat is probably radiating off the cats?
I run hi-flow cats for a little over a year with my blower before going catless. The hi-flow cats are fine when I removed them, as I should sell them. Just taking up garage space and nothing wrong with them. I doubt it just the cats, probably engine and exhaust combined for that heat you are feeling.

But with my cutouts closed, and catless pipes with the Solo... it's got a good rumble, but not stupid crazy loud.

if you will be at camarofest, stop by and I will show you.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
E.T.

Well, I made the switch! The cats actually looked alright, but there was a very small area that looked like the beginning of something that could become worse with time (circled area in photo below).

Sound wise, the car sounds freaking awesome. Idle is a little louder, which is something I wanted, and under throttle, it sounds absolutely evil. I think I might be getting a bit of drone when cruising around 30 mph. The car likes to shift into 5th gear around that speed, and when I give it light throttle and the RPMs are around 1200-1400, I hear a very deep rumble. I was hearing the same thing before, but now it might be accentuated just a bit. I think I can live with it, considering everything else sounds so sick.

As far as smell, it's a bit stronger, but nothing really terrible. It has a different smell than the plain, old exhaust. Actually smells better, IMO.

Overall, I think I'm happy. The mid-pipes are from Dynatech, which match my Supermaxx headers. Not bad Here's a quick sound clip. Sorry, the video part sucks and it's dark, but it recorded the sound decently.

Attached Images

Old 07-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

sounds like a beast, love it.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
E.T.

Thanks, man. Did you notice any drone with your setup?

Mine definitely sounds a bit closer to the "old school" cars that I've heard at car shows. Kinda makes me want a classic Camaro!

Old 07-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Thanks, man. Did you notice any drone with your setup?

Mine definitely sounds a bit closer to the "old school" cars that I've heard at car shows. Kinda makes me want a classic Camaro!
there is a little drone in a certain RPM range. J-pipes will fix that. I was getting the Havoc diffuser at that time and was not sure the J-pipes would fit correctly, as the Havoc diffusor tucks under the car a little bit. I should probable get them and see how they would fit. The drone usually doesn't bother me, as I have the cutouts open and the radio cranked.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
there is a little drone in a certain RPM range. J-pipes will fix that. I was getting the Havoc diffuser at that time and was not sure the J-pipes would fit correctly, as the Havoc diffusor tucks under the car a little bit. I should probable get them and see how they would fit. The drone usually doesn't bother me, as I have the cutouts open and the radio cranked.
Thanks. I do have the j-pipes now, so I'm sure that helps some. It doesn't seem too bad, so I'll see how it goes. It's not like I'm driving the thing all the time, anyway.