Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
About to become an Xbox fan (PSN Hackers)

Warning: long-ish story (where is my "rant-on" emoticon?)

So a couple weeks ago, my PSN account was hacked. I don't know how, but it was. It happens. My Xbox Live account was hacked a couple years ago too, during a period where I hadn't even turned on the 360 for about 6 months. My PSN account however, has now been "hacked" an additional 4 times since then, making for 5 times total.

No, I don't sign in elsewhere. No I don't hack. No, I don't use the email and password for any other accounts. I was through that with SEN, they suggested I was, or that someone had access to my systems. That's not the case.

FIRST HACK:

So anyway, first time I get hacked: I get tipped off because I was dumb enough to have my spending card attached to my account. Now before everyone talks about how dumb it is, please note that it is actually a checking account I use ONLY for online purchases. I move money in there from another account when I am going to make a purchase online. It is not used for anything else, that way if it gets compromised... no big deal. Well it happens that I had about 70 bucks in there, and the hacker moved two $25 transactions into my wallet. They purchased a couple of cheap games. I contacted support, got my purchase refunded, the email back in my name (hacker changed it), and reset the password.

What REALLY got me about this, is that I never got an email indicating any account activity for email address changes or anything. I was tipped off by the email from my bank. Anyway, selected a different email address, and a different password. I also notice a foreign PS3 attached to my account. Customer service deletes it remotely.

SECOND HACK:

So two days later, it happens again. I removed the bank account, but the hacker spent the money that had been refunded to the wallet. Same symptoms. No notification for email change, password reset... nothing. According to SEN, when a user changes the email login, that notification is sent to both the current email AND the email it is being changed to. Thought it odd that I didn't get it. Same deal with customer service. They reset all my info, and made a note on my account: "account changes not to be made without the serial number from the console the PSN account was created on" (I still have that PS3, it's in my room). Again, refunded. Again, I created a new email address, and a new password. Foreign PS3 again. Wonder if it's the same one....

THIRD HACK (4/27/14):

About a week later. Basically all the exact same things. Foreign PS3. Purchased the new Amazing Spiderman 2 game. No email notifications. Same process with customer support. I'm told I'm sharing information. They said the changes are not happening on their end. I'm getting a little pissed. Created another new email address. And another password. And another refund. And the PS3 was removed from the account. I sent an email to their corportate HQ.

FOURTH HACK (4/28/14)

The next day. Same deal. Foreign PS3. Same game purchased. Same symptoms. Same conversation with customer support. I b***h to them as they tell me to create (yet another) new email and password. Obviously this isn't helping. Yada Yada.

FIFTH HACK (4/29/14)

WTF?! All the exact same stuff... including the PS3, same game, same symptoms, etc. THIS is where it gets interesting. So I'm beyond pissed, their phone rep says I MUST be sharing my account info because that's the ONLY way this could keep happening. I tell them to cram it and elevate it to a manager. I go through all the exact same BS, but this time, the manager says something interesting.

"We show that this account was changed through our online chat services, and it was the previous days too"

REALLY? So I say:

"There is a note on my account, that says any changes made to this account require the serial number from my PS3. Is that note there?"

"Yes sir"

"Was it used?"

"Well sir, this isn't the chat department, so I don't..."

"Find out. I'll wait."

10 minutes later...

"Sir, thanks for waiting. The serial number wasn't provided"

"It wasn't? Yet there is a note in your system for your representatives that say not to make any changes without it, for any reason?"

"Yes sir"

"But they did it anyway"

"It appears that way sir"

"So this is how my account has been getting 'hacked" for the last several times"

"It looks that way sir"

"After you a**holes have spent the last 3 days and hours of my time telling me how this was somehow MY fault... you put additional security on my account and then didn't follow it... is that correct?"

"I'm sorry sir, I don't know what to say. It looks like someone in the chat department wasn't reading the note".

Anyway, this conversation continues for awhile, I get my stuff reset, refunded, ask why this foreign PS3 has not been banned yet (of course they have no excuse), etc etc etc etc.

So......... it looks like I'll be moving over to an Xbox. Although I still feel the PS4 is a superior console, the PSN screwups have me pretty much sold on it. I may be an isolated incident, but good Lord. This has been a ridiculous 2 weeks. Thanks for reading my wall of text.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Sad to hear it but I have heard some very unstatisfied people about Sony's customer service reps and how unhelpful they are at times. But in my only time dealing with them I had a positive outcome and was not all that bad. Well I hope that you have better luck with the xbox account when u do decide to get it and use it.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Really? I had a ps3 about 2 yrs ago sold it as I went with the 360. Didn't have any complaints with sony especially their CS. Every time it called they were very helpfull. But this has been quite some time now.

Sux OP.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I have had no issues with the Live Gold account I've had with Xbox for the last 6 years. The small things that I've had to contact them about were resolved in one contact. I have no experience with Sony.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
been a user of PS3 and with it PSN for about 6 almost 7 years never had any hacked activity but then again I have no money in my wallet and the card attached to it is out of date never got around to updating that info.