Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
When you rebuild the diffs, do you guys typically check the posi unit to make sure its functioning correctly? My concern is sending out a low mileage diff, and getting back a high mileage unit that is slipping and wont lock up correctly, or was abused by the previous owner. If I upgrade to billet caps, will that make the diff virtually bullet proof? What does a billet cap actually do? I never race the car and rarely get into it, but I just want to know that, that one time I need the power, I wont break anything! I am at 500whp, n/a.

Last edited by 376LS3; 08-14-2012 at 10:40 PM.
376LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Erik,
Can we do a complete diff swap from a V8? Housing, axles, wheel hubs and driveshaft. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a setup for my car to the first one who can hook me up with a quality product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@lashway View Post
Cool! Just to follow up, the only thing I am finding right now for the V6 guys are the 3.55 gear sets from Richmond. I have yet to find an upgraded posi unit for those diffs. Maybe someone can chime in? I've really only had V8 guys want these diffs, so I am not as familiar with the V6 diff. I know they are different though.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #17
Josh@Lashway

Drives: 15' C7, 10' Camaro, 02' Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
When you rebuild the diffs, do you guys typically check the posi unit to make sure its functioning correctly? My concern is sending out a low mileage diff, and getting back a high mileage unit that is slipping and wont lock up correctly, or was abused by the previous owner. If I upgrade to billet caps, will that make the diff virtually bullet proof? What does a billet cap actually do? I never race the car and rarely get into it, but I just want to know that, that one time I need the power, I wont break anything! I am at 500whp, n/a.
All of the differentials are inspected for wear and tear, we completely remove the center section when doing the gears. We have had worn units in the past in which we replaced parts before sending them out.

Nothing will make the rear "bulletproof" even a 9inch that takes 1000rwhp is not bulletproof. what the billet caps and cover will do is allow you to run the most power through the rear reliably, they do this by nearly stopping any deflection or movement of the halfshafts and differential, when everything is spinning perfectly in round with no "wobble" the chances of breakage are great lowered from the factory set up.
Josh@Lashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
Josh@Lashway

Drives: 15' C7, 10' Camaro, 02' Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by etmx183 View Post
Erik,
Can we do a complete diff swap from a V8? Housing, axles, wheel hubs and driveshaft. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a setup for my car to the first one who can hook me up with a quality product.
i actually have a great option if your looking for a complete setup like that, give me a call at the shop 954-971-4383 ask for josh.
Josh@Lashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Jakeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Well I hit over 1,000 miles on the diff. It's running great. Lashway contacted me about my swapped unit. They fully inspected it - low milage - before I was able to get my refund. I actually got a verbal report on the status of the unit and that it passed their inspection process. So Erik and his crew were very thorough. In addition, my installer is very experienced and noted that the new unit was very well built and high quality. I did do all the upgrades except powder finish. My car runs better now and with the JRE tune shifts better than stock. 'Nuff said.
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote