Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #99
Moth

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
getting about 18.5 but i am varying the rpms like crazy, still at 550 miles and driving pretty much only in the city. Actually am getting better mpg than i had expected considering how i am driving it lol.
only gonna goo lower and lower my friend im just telling you get ready for it
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #100
BrandonGoodman

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Camaro
The mileage is entirely dependent on how you drive the car. If you're racing everyone off the line, then yeah you're gonna get less than 20. I get about 24-25 on my 70MPH highway portions of my drive and lower 20's in typical city traffic. Those are my best case numbers. If I constantly get on it, it goes down dramatically. I've yet to figure out how to get it up to 29 as rated. All downhill I guess??
7/18/09 bought it off another dealer's lot

Prior:
1984 305 Camaro
1997 5.7L Z28 Camaro
BrandonGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #101
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonGoodman View Post
I've yet to figure out how to get it up to 29 as rated. All downhill I guess??
  1. Get on the highway.
  2. When you're cruisin' in 6th, reset your Avg. MPG calculator.
  3. Check mileage before you stop, or even downshift.
...and as soon as you do, watch the mpg go down.

That's the only time I've seen anything over 24. Right now I'm getting around 23, and that's maybe 1/3 highway driving. Usually I do well to see anything over 16. Gas mileage is the one thing about this car that doesn't impress me - get on it one little bit, and the mileage =
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #102
Jozef

Drives: 2010 1LT Black on Black
It's a heavy car.

Everyone complaining should have purchased the following:

Chevy Volt
Prius
Civic Hybrid
Insight
Etc.

Stop complaining.
Jozef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #103
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
"Unimpressed" is not the same as complaining. I knew what I was buying and how I drive; for me it's still a worthwhile tradeoff.

Can you even order a Volt yet?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #104
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbaker82 View Post
Sorry but there is no way 32 MPG can be accurate unless you were doing neutral down big mountains.
your v6s have newer/better technology than my ls1 so I say it is possible, but it has to be 99%highway. I've clocked 30.1mpgs with my m6 ls1. It was rated at 28 when new.

Also when going down hill, you use less gas by staying in gear maybe one lower gear like 5th or even 4th to be easy on your brakes. Coasting down hill in gear uses less gas than a car that is sitting and idling.

the tricks to the best mpgs are:

excellent maintenance
correct air pressure in tires
using easy acceleration nothing over 2000rpms when shifting
use the highway so you can use your best mpg gear which is 6th
use cruise control and set it near the speed limit so that you won't have to brake for slower drivers
use the brakes as little as possible
coast to stop signs and red lights
do not warm up car before driving, just start and go, I do not suggest getting on it till its up to temp though
use a/c only on highway(if at all) because it affects mpgs less than it does when driving around town
when on highway keep windows and/or top up
make smooth lane changes
use recommended fuel for your car because 93 will do no good for your v6s unless it is setup and tuned for it
get rid of all unnecessary weight

thats all I can think of right now...

oh, better handling suspension because you will use the brakes less when on curves.

Last edited by 7CAMARO7; 08-05-2009 at 12:30 PM.
7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #105
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
I have now 8000+ KM and average 12-13 /100 Lts City .....and for highway
it is at 9.2/100 lts(130KMH)
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #106
bonnhew

Drives: Audi A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
your v6s have newer/better technology than my ls1 so I say it is possible, but it has to be 99%highway. I've clocked 30.1mpgs with my m6 ls1. It was rated at 28 when new.

Also when going down hill, you use less gas by staying in gear maybe one lower gear like 5th or even 4th to be easy on your brakes. Coasting down hill in gear uses less gas than a car that is sitting and idling.

the tricks to the best mpgs are:

excellent maintenance
correct air pressure in tires
using easy acceleration nothing over 2000rpms when shifting
use the highway so you can use your best mpg gear which is 6th
use cruise control and set it near the speed limit so that you won't have to brake for slower drivers
use the brakes as little as possible
coast to stop signs and red lights
do not warm up car before driving, just start and go, I do not suggest getting on it till its up to temp though
use a/c only on highway(if at all) because it affects mpgs less than it does when driving around town
when on highway keep windows and/or top up
make smooth lane changes
use recommended fuel for your car because 93 will do no good for your v6s unless it is setup and tuned for it
get rid of all unnecessary weight

thats all I can think of right now...

oh, better handling suspension because you will use the brakes less when on curves.

do not warm up car before driving, just start and go?
isn't that bad for the car in the future? and does it really help getting more mileage?
bonnhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #107
TheSSpimp

Drives: 1976 & 1996 Impala, 2011 Camaro
You have to remember that this car is running on regular instead of premium like the v8 so you are still saving money over the v8 even if the mpg is not as high as it should be yet. It should improve over time.
TheSSpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #108
7CAMARO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnhew View Post
isn't that bad for the car in the future? and does it really help getting more mileage?
cold starts, meaning car has been sitting for a few hours, are the worst thing for your engine normally and are unavoidable.

Just starting and going will give better gas mileage than warming it up and going. MPGs are miles per gallon. How many miles per gallon are you getting when your car is sitting and idling? Zero... How many mpgs are you getting by sitting still and revving to 6000rpms? Zero The point is you have to be moving to get any mpgs and something is always better than nothing.

If you let it warm up before taking off, it will most likely drive better and probably get better mpgs once you get moving due to the engine being at optimum temp. Starting and going and warming it up while driving will give better gas mileage than sitting to warm up. It will be worse than a car thats already been warmed up though, but the tank average of start and go will be higher. Kinda confusing. Let me know if its still unclear.

its just not good to get on it when it is not warmed up.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #109
7CAMARO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSSpimp View Post
You have to remember that this car is running on regular instead of premium like the v8 so you are still saving money over the v8 even if the mpg is not as high as it should be yet. It should improve over time.
The money I pay in gas for my SS is SO worth it though

Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #110
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnhew View Post
As long as you don't flog it, driving to warm it up is better for its longevity and your fuel economy. While your fuel economy with the engine cold is less than it is warmed up, it's not so much worse that it uses less fuel to waste gas idling not going anywhere. Let it idle for 5-30 seconds to make sure the oil is circulating and everything is stable, then drive.

In the meantime, idling a cold engine just lets it run for a long time while it's still cold, which can't be great for the engine. Driving gently/moderately will warm it up much faster and let it run warm instead.

It doesn't cost the manufacturer a single cent or a single sale to put in the manual that it should be warmed up before driving. If they had anything to gain by recommending warm-up idling first, they would recommend it. If warm-up idling would help engine longevity then they would want that, to avoid claims on the 100,000 mile warranty and to have a good reputation for long-lived engines. If it would help fuel economy, they would recommend it so they'd be known for better fuel economy.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #111
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
21.0 mpg 70% city / 30% highway - Automatic - using 89 Octane this at 1298 miles on my Camaro.

It was 24.3 not too long ago but I can't control my urge lately to gun it a little.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #112
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
I reset my fuel effciency in the DIC and I got 8.31L/100 KM this weekend on a drive from Edmonton to Lethbridge (about 1000 KM). It probably could have been better, but my average highway cruise speed was 126 km/h.

(for my American friends: 28.3 MPG (about a 620 mile trip) and average cruise speed of 78 mph)

Oh, and I have a 2LT RS Automatic and the car had about 2300 KM on it at the beginning of the trip (1430 miles)

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote