Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
I'd like to see the pop-up Nav as an option. It's a much cleaner look than having a portable unit mounted on the windshield or dash somewhere. I also think that the Onstar feature is a great option, but I really like being able to look at a decent sized map screen.
I agree. I live in a large metro area, and sometimes finding places the first time can be difficult. Generally, I'll print out the driving directions on Yahoo Maps before I leave, but it'd be nice to be able to get directions while not at home. Plus, if you think talking on your cell phone while driving is dangerous, try reading a map/directions while driving in a place you've never been before.

I'd prefer the integrated nav units simply because I don't like the look of things just "tacked on" to my car. If it was built in, I'm sure the designers would make it fit with the rest of the interior in a way that added to the overall look. Although, being able to remove the unit (easily) and take it with you to another place/car would be a nice option.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
Wasn't meant as a critique on you, it's just that I personally have never had a use for GPS and wish to keep the interior of the Camaro clean.

But who knows, I might change my mind in a few years and get a Garmin unit. Doesn't have to be mounted on the dash to work though, right? Or perhaps if the GPS is a pop-up and isn't that expensive I might get it. Already planning on getting a HUD if offered for decent money so my "I want it totally retro" argument is crumbling.
No worries Emher. I'm the proto-typical stereotyped guy who "gets lost and won't ask for directions". I've been waiting on getting a portable Navigation system because I have my portable Sirius car radio on the dashboard. I don't have room for anything else and though I believe XM/Sirius will be an option on the Camaro, I didn't really want something else to "attach". A pop up Nav would do the trick, when I'm not needing it, it hides and when I need it... there it is.

Also with newer Nav systems, they can locate an ATM or place to eat when I'm in the middle of nowhere and a passenger needs food. Don't think a map could help me with that.

I'm with you, if the HUD is offered, I'm adding that option! I like the retro look but if I can get some techie gadgets inside my Camaro, the better.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #17
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Depending on how much of the car's computer is integrated into the stock Nav screen, I will probably scrap it all for an integrated aftermarket audio nav entertainment sys. But lately everthing runs through the Nav screen, fuel and trip info, driver alerts and so on. So that means I'll have to keep it stock since I'll want to keep all that functionality. Either way I don't really like the stand alone systems just cus they don't look as clean... Dumb I know cus you get much more for the money that way.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
GothamCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
A pop up unit would be cool. But, the only way I'd get it is if it came w/ a hell of a lot more uses than just a map. It'd have to be a DVD player, control a lot of other functions, mp3 player, bluetooth screen for songs when you put in an SD card, etc.
I totally meant to mention the Pop-up Nav with the DVD player, mp3 player, bluetooth and any other controls function. I think the MyGig does that in Dodge vehicles. It's like cell phones, they just don't call people anymore, they take photos play music and go on the internet, the Nav systems also need to do more.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Normally I'm the kind of person who likes things nicely integrated and not "tacked on" as well, but when an integrated unit costs 10X the price of a portable unit, I'll go for the portable unit without a second thought. The fact that it can be transfered from car to car is icing on the cake. I have a tacked on XM kit in my Cobalt now and I'm not much a fan (of the tacked on look, not the radio itself. The radio itself is great), but sat. radio is now standard in most GM cars and doesn't cost much more than an aftermarket kit anyway. I'll pay $100 more to get an integrated sat. radio system, but I will NOT pay $1800 more to get an integrated sat nav system.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamCamaro View Post
No worries Emher. I'm the proto-typical stereotyped guy who "gets lost and won't ask for directions". I've been waiting on getting a portable Navigation system because I have my portable Sirius car radio on the dashboard. I don't have room for anything else and though I believe XM/Sirius will be an option on the Camaro, I didn't really want something else to "attach". A pop up Nav would do the trick, when I'm not needing it, it hides and when I need it... there it is.

Also with newer Nav systems, they can locate an ATM or place to eat when I'm in the middle of nowhere and a passenger needs food. Don't think a map could help me with that.

I'm with you, if the HUD is offered, I'm adding that option! I like the retro look but if I can get some techie gadgets inside my Camaro, the better.
I'm the guy that goes against the sterotype. Wherever I am in Sweden I know instantly where north is. I know exactly where I'm going after glancing at a map quickly. But nobody believes me since they all say "guys always say that and then they get lost" Well, I do ask for directions on the rare occasions I actually need them.

You got a point though with the ATM and place to eat point though, that might be useful sometimes. Except I'm a planning whore like my mom so that never happens.

But yeah, definetly getting a HUD if not too expensive. Would be cool to just see digital counter go from 0-100 real quickly (0-60 for you then).
Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
Bart

Drives: 1997 Trans Am
Well I saw a report recently that nav units such as the Garmins have become the number one target for car thieves. And while many would argue that you just take the unit with you, Police have seen that thieves are targeting cars that have the suction cup residue on the windshield (i.e., you removed it, but it left a mark from the suction cups) in hopes that you have just put it in the glovebox or under the seat. So if you go with the portable unit, when you remove it, make sure your windshield is clean.
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #22
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamCamaro View Post
So I was watching the commercial with the hot gal in the Cadillac CTS and thinking that pop up navigation looks sweet. I'd love to have that on the Camaro, bring some hi-tech feel to the interior.

I know I read one of the posts that some think the stock navigation systems are way over priced versus buying a Tom Tom or other brand at a Best Buy. If it was a pop up screen, would that be sway you to get that option than a screen sticking out of the dashboard? Any one have any opinions?
first of all tom tom doest compare because these nav sytems do more than just show you where to go.they have blue tooth, cd,dvd, all kinds of stuff. plus they arent really overpriced because you have to buy it as a package with whatever other options come with it. and i just got a flip out pioneer nav for my truck and it cost 1500 new. then you add in 100 for the blue tooth and instalation and i had 250 in that. so there is almost 2000.00 just for an aftermarket system not covered by a 3 year warranty. and i use it every day too. i love it. i went to detroit for the auto show and never took a map or got directions from map quest. i ust put in the cobo hall phone number and it pulled up the directions for me. it was amazing. i love nav systems. and sorry but the tom tom and garmins suck. personal opinion( i had a garmin)
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #23
GothamCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
first of all tom tom doest compare because these nav sytems do more than just show you where to go.they have blue tooth, cd,dvd, all kinds of stuff. plus they arent really overpriced because you have to buy it as a package with whatever other options come with it. and i just got a flip out pioneer nav for my truck and it cost 1500 new. then you add in 100 for the blue tooth and instalation and i had 250 in that. so there is almost 2000.00 just for an aftermarket system not covered by a 3 year warranty. and i use it every day too. i love it. i went to detroit for the auto show and never took a map or got directions from map quest. i ust put in the cobo hall phone number and it pulled up the directions for me. it was amazing. i love nav systems. and sorry but the tom tom and garmins suck. personal opinion( i had a garmin)
Never been in a car with Tom Tom or Garmin but seen the reviews online. Just looking for options and the easiest for me would be to have the Nav screen as an option but prefer the Pop up for look and style. Guess we'll have to see what comes about.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:04 AM   #24
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
We def need a nav option. period. lol. I want one. end of story. thank you.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #25
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
We def need a nav option. period. lol. I want one. end of story. thank you.
WHY? I dont want a nav screen...I want to be able to tell the wife I got lost (she knows Id never ask for directions)

So when it took me 8hrs to drive to the store and back for a gallon of milk...she couldn't be pissed at me!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:58 AM   #26
Camaro_crazy

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Camaro_crazy
Personally, i would love a nav/dvd/mp3/cd option. I have an aftermarket touch screen unit like this in my car now, and its amazing, and its a lot cleaner to have it right there with all the extras than a random screen on my dash or window. And a very key word here is OPTION. There are simple solutions for this argument, just like in other cars. If you want it you can get it. If you dont want it then you get the stock system. Simple as that. Option is a very friendly word here.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #27
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
WHY? I dont want a nav screen...I want to be able to tell the wife I got lost (she knows Id never ask for directions)

So when it took me 8hrs to drive to the store and back for a gallon of milk...she couldn't be pissed at me!

Dude - It's gonna have On-Star turn by turn navigation with Driver Information Center that along with audio commands will give you a visual arrow of which way to turn. G8 has it now, no nav screen in it either. Some reviewers actually prefer it.

Not to mention On Star can unlock your door if you lock your keys in the car, etc.

Your wife will unfortunately have you so busted...Maybe you can pull the fuse for on star and tell her it's broken.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #28
Strider-No.9

Drives: Dodge Stratus
I would like a Nav option but I doubt it. Does Chevy offer any Nav options at all other than Onstar? I don't mind Onstar so much either it looks like it has a lot of other benefits also. Although I'm not too hot about the Big Brother feeling.
Strider-No.9 is offline   Reply With Quote